• The KillerFrogs

Texas and OU….

FrogCop19

There are 1000 things that could happen between today and summer 2025... Probably one or a few of those paths ends up with TX and OU staying. CFP and a few TV rights negotiations have been "interesting" the past few months.
sub-buzz-27334-1555702241-1.png

NORMLFROG

I just wonder if/how much OU was bullied by UT and the SEC to make this move. I've heard rumors of some "money problems" in Norman. Did they just succumb to the pressure to solve some perceived financial needs or did they REALLY want to leave the Big 12?

Texas prints money so this is just greedy getting greedier. Their motivation is clear. I just wonder about the Sooners. It seems like there is more downside for them in this deal.

NF

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I just wonder if/how much OU was bullied by UT and the SEC to make this move. I've heard rumors of some "money problems" in Norman. Did they just succumb to the pressure to solve some perceived financial needs or did they REALLY want to leave the Big 12?

Texas prints money so this is just greedy getting greedier. Their motivation is clear. I just wonder about the Sooners. It seems like there is more downside for them in this deal.

NF

No, bye to Texas, forever and ever, Amen. Goodbye delConte and his sort. Let UT & A&M do their Thksgvg circle-jerk until the end of time. and 6-6 records becoming their norm.

OU can stay.
The old I hate Texas more than I love TCU argument. Seems unlikely but a Big 12 conference with UT/OU plus the additions would be an amazing athletic conference for TCU.

froginaustin

From what little I have heard from my semi-reliable source here in Austin, it is more likely that UTx was flattered, sweet-talked, pressured just a little bit, and UTx vanity appealed to by OU and the SEC front office.

OU apparently thinks they are in a jamb financially. Why (or why they got that way) I have no idea. Lots of O&G money in their fan base, and that money has kept their athletics, or at least their football, flush for several generations, but apparently OU was/is seriously looking around for more bucks.

OU, it is said, knocked on the SEC's door, and were told that the SEC would be more interested if OU was a package with UTx. UTx was approached with a promise of more money, sharing an exclusive top-conference billing in the State of Texas with A'nM, and (TAH-DA!!) a chance to do a big-time job sticking a finger in A'nM's eye. The Aggies had been promised, as they claimed, an exclusive in the State of Texas.

Apparently some that make a difference at UTx actually believe the "conference is holding us back" crap, too.

According to my source, OU is the tail and UTx is the dog, since the subject was brought up. Just like UTx has been in charge (with some interference from the Lege, to be avoided this time) since the gestation of what became the Big Twelve v1.0.

Having learned their lesson from being stuck with Baylor and TTech the last time they changed conferences, and with OU sweating only a little bit about political blowback leaving OkSU behind (and UTx wanting to ambush the Aggies, of course), all of the SEC office, OU, and UTx managed to keep a lid on the deal until it was a fait accompli.

I trust the source enough to repeat the story anonymously on this board, but that's about it.

NF

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
From what little I have heard from my semi-reliable source here in Austin, it is more likely that UTx was flattered, sweet-talked, pressured just a little bit, and UTx vanity appealed to by OU and the SEC front office.

OU apparently thinks they are in a jamb financially. Why (or why they got that way) I have no idea. Lots of O&G money in their fan base, and that money has kept their athletics, or at least their football, flush for several generations, but apparently OU was/is seriously looking around for more bucks.

OU, it is said, knocked on the SEC's door, and were told that the SEC would be more interested if OU was a package with UTx. UTx was approached with a promise of more money, sharing an exclusive top-conference billing in the State of Texas with A'nM, and (TAH-DA!!) a chance to do a big-time job sticking a finger in A'nM's eye. The Aggies had been promised, as they claimed, an exclusive in the State of Texas.

Apparently some that make a difference at UTx actually believe the "conference is holding us back" crap, too.

According to my source, OU is the tail and UTx is the dog, since the subject was brought up. Just like UTx has been in charge (with some interference from the Lege, to be avoided this time) since the gestation of what became the Big Twelve v1.0.

Having learned their lesson from being stuck with Baylor and TTech the last time they changed conferences, and with OU sweating only a little bit about political blowback leaving OkSU behind (and UTx wanting to ambush the Aggies, of course), all of the SEC office, OU, and UTx managed to keep a lid on the deal until it was a fait accompli.

I trust the source enough to repeat the story anonymously on this board, but that's about it.
I still find it bewildering that UT would give up the dominance (in a political and managerial sense) they had with the BIGXII, to go and be an also-ran in the SEC. Yeah, there's more money and all, but they lose the power to command their own destiny.

Fools.

I still find it bewildering that UT would give up the dominance (in a political and managerial sense) they had with the BIGXII, to go and be an also-ran in the SEC. Yeah, there's more money and all, but they lose the power to command their own destiny.

Fools.
Don't discount the inane possibility that these two pompous (censor) might be entertaining the bizarre

notion that they can extend their same degree of control and run roughshod over the SEC...lol

Last edited:

Salfrog

Tier 1
There are 1000 things that could happen between today and summer 2025... Probably one or a few of those paths ends up with TX and OU staying. CFP and a few TV rights negotiations have been "interesting" the past few months.
I had brought this up in another thread, or asked the question. Is it possible for both of them to change their mind to stay, or could OU decide that they really don't want to leave after all and stay. Is them going to the SEC only as a package deal? Plus, if they did decide to stay, what would be the legal ramifications be for both, or one school? Just simply curious, as I could care less if they were sued out their asses by the SEC if they backed out.

LisaLT

Crazy.

Sounds like Riley agreed to this prior to Bedlam. So, even if they WON Bedlam, would he still have been hired away?

I love watching college football collapse on itself. Completely mad.
That job has been vacant for a long time; I wonder when the dance with Riley really started. I gotta believe he wanted out when it all came to light OU was SEC bound. I think he enjoys being the top dog coach in the conference, which he wouldn’t be in the SEC. The PAC is a whole other story.

Big Frog II

If OU is in the red, it is their own fault. We know that they bring in plenty of money via football. They have a lot of financial backers. How they got into a financial jam in really surprising. I am still amazed that Texas wanted to give up this much control of a conference. If they think they can run the SEC, they are clueless.

Mean Purple

I don't see them staying. They know the money line in the SEC and they also see where all of this is headed, and the SEC puts them in a good spot for that format. And I doubt they wait for 2025. OU could place 4th in the SEC playing like they are now. I watch that league quite a bit.

CountryFrog

If OU is in the red, it is their own fault. We know that they bring in plenty of money via football. They have a lot of financial backers. How they got into a financial jam in really surprising. I am still amazed that Texas wanted to give up this much control of a conference. If they think they can run the SEC, they are clueless.
Any OU fan will tell you that they're not in the red. They're in the crimson.

Latest posts