• The KillerFrogs

Texas A&M's "thorny leadership" drives Woodward to LSU AD position

Waccy Frog

This is the same old Aggie story that never changes. One of the papers (DMN, I think) ran a story when Jimbo was hired about the Aggies’ history of throwing money at coaches to buy their way to glory. They tried it with Bo Schembechler in the late 1970s or early 80s. They threw tons of cash at him but he turned them down saying “I can’t figure out who’s in charge down there.”

So that’s the incredibly enjoyable irony of the Aggies. All the busy body interfering by boosters to make them better is actually what holds them back. No one can tell who is in charge.

Fosterpark Squatter

This is the same old Aggie story that never changes. One of the papers (DMN, I think) ran a story when Jimbo was hired about the Aggies’ history of throwing money at coaches to buy their way to glory. They tried it with Bo Schembechler in the late 1970s or early 80s. They threw tons of cash at him but he turned them down saying “I can’t figure out who’s in charge down there.”

So that’s the incredibly enjoyable irony of the Aggies. All the busy body interfering by boosters to make them better is actually what holds them back. No one can tell who is in charge.

UT getting that way too especially with Red Mccombs.

froginaustin

UT getting that way too especially with Red Mccombs.

UTx has been that way since at least the early 1940's when my mother was a UTx student and the school's president (Homer Rainey) duked it out (and lost his job, ultimately) with boosters and politicians.

Red McCombs is a piker in terms of institutional fiddlin', compared to the late Frank Irwin. McCombs and Irwin are just the ones that get/got the press.

I don't know what it is about these big state schools that seem to automatically attract such "attention". With UTx, big construction contracts and hints of corruption around them, particularly as the "System" build all its branch campuses and health-care campuses in the mid-20th century, seem to drive some of the meddlin'.

But I agree that the Aggies are just nuts, and some of their supporters are too vain to get out of the way.