• The KillerFrogs

Ten years from now: tuition=$79,098

Brog

Well, I put the pencil to it, and calculated that if we keep on getting that 4.9% tuition increase every year, then my second grade grandchild will start TCU with annual tuition $79,098. That's putting new tuition just announced at $49,160, going up 4.9% every year. If we think recruiting baseball players is hard now, what will it be like then?

Surfrog

I think we will see either a bubble burst or a reduction in the number of applicants.

I know we are having a hard time finding good tradesman for projects. Some welders are bringing home 150k+ per year, plumbers 120+ and electricians 100+.

A buddy of mine I went to HS with started a furniture company in his parent's garage using recycled pallets. They quickly had a full order sheet and have now moved into a workshop and hired on 10+ employees.

Degrees don't = money/success.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

the key will be what your degree is in over the next 10 years. There is definitely a trend for increased value of skilled tradesman - just like there is a premium for business leaders that can drive innovation in operations and technology. However, if you are in a "cog in a wheel type" position in either, chances are that a significant portion of your job will be automated in some fashion and thus the value of your role will be diminished effort and pay-wise.

Straight line welding on an assembly line can easily be automated. Shaping metal for parts created hundreds of thousands of times, etc.

But so can processing accounts payable payments, payroll or ordering materials - so those back office jobs and the middle level managers that run the groups of people doing them will disappear over the next 10 years.

That will put an even higher pay premium on the people driving the business because profitability can rise if you can lead the organization - but it also means a lot of low and middle level jobs in both the trades and the office will be gone.

froginmn

I think we will see either a bubble burst or a reduction in the number of applicants.

I know we are having a hard time finding good tradesman for projects. Some welders are bringing home 150k+ per year, plumbers 120+ and electricians 100+.

A buddy of mine I went to HS with started a furniture company in his parent's garage using recycled pallets. They quickly had a full order sheet and have now moved into a workshop and hired on 10+ employees.

Degrees don't = money/sucsess.
My son pushed back about attending a four year college and is in the second year of a two year auto body collision repair program. He'll be out in May making more money than many kids with four year degrees, and without all of the debt.

The other thing with trades is that you can't get tradesmen to work extra hours. They've made enough to buy the fishing boat or hunting cabin, now they just want to hunt and fish.

A friend told me about a mechanic shop with 25 guys who were all offered as much overtime as they would work. Only 3 took them up on it.

HToady

TCU may or may not exceed 10k or get the applicants it currently gets. But there is a certain faction of wealthy offspring that parents are willing to pay to give their kids the country club / college experience. Unfortunately, there are many schools that have elitist philosophy (USC, Wake Forest, Duke SMU) The difference being that TCU is not as academically ranked like those schools, so we will have to focus on the "dumber" of those wealthy offspring.

Bob Sugar

CPIChart2018.png

Such a joke.

Big Frog II

TCU may or may not exceed 10k or get the applicants it currently gets. But there is a certain faction of wealthy offspring that parents are willing to pay to give their kids the country club / college experience. Unfortunately, there are many schools that have elitist philosophy (USC, Wake Forest, Duke SMU) The difference being that TCU is not as academically ranked like those schools, so we will have to focus on the "dumber" of those wealthy offspring.
Of course if TCU is going to be $79,000/yr. USC and SMU could well be $100,000/yr.

Eight

friend owns a auto repair/body shop for primarily european cars

starting techs for him are paid $22.50 an hour and his most experienced techs make just over $40.

cheese83

CPIChart2018.png

Such a joke.

When I was in healthcare I noticed a massive increase in medical care costs while insurance companies also shifted more burden to patients w high deductibles. I’m pretty healthy but need to have some physical therapy for my knee due to a sports injury. Memorial Hermann wanted to charge me $450/session since they hill as outpatient, which is outrageous and I’ve got a pretty good PPO plan from Aetna but my deductible is high. What a joke.

Also Childcare services are high but who would have known it was as expensive as $1k/month per kid. At least that’s something I’m ok with paying a premium for, unfortunately a lot of people get govt assistance so it’s resulted in an increase for everyone.

Key takeaway from that chart, govt backed industries/services create massive inflation and screw everyone over.

LVH

Private colleges are a waste of money these days, period. But TCU has made it clear all they care about are getting the 1% students from California. To hell with TCU administration. Also the government has a role as well. Student loans are too easy to acquire. Government getting out of student loans would single handedly drop the cost of education by itself

DeuceBoogieNights

friend owns a auto repair/body shop for primarily european cars

starting techs for him are paid $22.50 an hour and his most experienced techs make just over $40.

Off topic but Ive heard its becoming harder to find techs that can work on the technology that is being installed on the newer cars.

Eight

Off topic but Ive heard its becoming harder to find techs that can work on the technology that is being installed on the newer cars.

it isn't off topic because it directly goes to the question of why go to college for a job that may only pay your 40-50k when a trade school job in certain industries has a higher potential ceiling

i was told definitely yes in regards to finding quality techs in two realms

first, the new bmw has 39 computers in it. as relayed to me a number of problems is not a traditional car part, but a miscommunication by one if not more of those units.

second, you have the older models that don't have more technology in them than one of apollo space crafts. there is a very specific set of skills for rebuidling say, a '70 mercedes diesel and if you have those skills there is money to be made, but schools don't teach that anymore because all the new cars are damn near cyborgs

Latest posts