• The KillerFrogs

Tech makes it official, hires Utah State's Matt Wells

jack the frog

Overall some real disappointment over there and not just for the delusional that believed Bob Stoops or Leach were on the short list. Funny how a blogger mentioning Leach as a candidate if about 1000 things went perfectly qualified a story for "legs."

LVH

Overall some real disappointment over there and not just for the delusional that believed Bob Stoops or Leach were on the short list. Funny how a blogger mentioning Leach as a candidate if about 1000 things went perfectly qualified a story for "legs."

What I'm seeing from Tech fans is either outright anger at the hire or thinking the hire is the best hire of all time and better than having hired Saban.

No in between

CountryFrog

You never know, same can be said for TCU pre big 12.

Still takes some good coaching to successfully navigate through a whole season
No, same cannot be said for TCU pre-big 12. Our program had MUCH MUCH MUCH more success than Utah St has and we beat several legit opponents along the way. Utah St is not comparable in any way whatsoever to TCU in the Mountain West.

CountryFrog

Met Matt Wells 2 years ago. A very good friend of mine is a very good friend of his. He's a GREAT coach and a great man. Big hire for Tech despite what some may say.
He may well be a great coach, but unless you've played for him or you're very close to the Utah St football program then I'm not sure how you could really know how good of a coach he is.

Punter1

A fairly safe hire but truthfully it was gonna be hard to get a bigger name to Tech.

I was hoping they would make a run at Mack Brown...

Matt is a good dude and good coach. He's originally from Oklahoma so he does know Big 12 country.

Zubaz

You never know, same can be said for TCU pre big 12.

Still takes some good coaching to successfully navigate through a whole season
No, you really can't. Utah State has not finished in the Top 10, won 1 conference titles in the last 20 years (2012), and hasn't had anything close to approaching a team that could compete on a national stage. Their claim to fame, thus far, is being 'almost as good as a down Boise State' and being competitive with 6-loss Wisconsin in 2012. That's about it.

At absolute best, they are more where TCU was early in our CUSA era or the WAC than anything TCU did in the run-up to our invitation to the Big 12.