• The KillerFrogs

Tech interested in Holgorson?

froginaustin

WVU seems to have supporters that think they’re the “Beast of the East”. Or should be. How many guaranteed years are left on Holgo’s contract? There could be howling from influential boosters if his team backslides. Or doesn’t win the conference next year.
TTech could provide real financial security for Holgo. Either at WVU or TTech.

Chongo94

I regrettably have a few Tech buddies. I ran his name by all of them and each basically responded with “meh”. They overrate their status in college football greatly.

It is frustrating and one of the main reasons I don’t lump myself in with the rest of Tech fandom that they have no concept of the true program footprint within the sporting landscape.

I really think many Tech fans are going to be sorely disappointed in whomever eventually becomes coach as I don’t think it will be near a sexy enough hire for them. Holgo would be certifiable to go back and Venables is truly a pipe dream unless he’s insane as well.

netty2424

I’m a Holgorsen fan, but I’m fairly convinced he’s not going to be a top tier coach. He’s a really good coach, but he’s not elite by any means. Although it takes really good coaching, it also takes really good players to have a great season.

Holgorsen had one in a healthy Grier this year. I have no idea who’s coming in behind Grier next year, but unless it’s an experienced grad transfer, I’d imagine they fall right back into the middle of the Big12 pack.

Just looked it up and they have a Miami transfer, former 4*, 6’5” Junior(2019), Jack Allison. So if he pans out, they may do well.

Wexahu

Why would he take a step down?

Because this might be his best chance to land a long-term job that isn't a significant step down. I don't think the Tech job is all that great by any means, but I think it might be a little more attractive than some others on here think. If they offer a huge financial package I could see him taking it. His other option might be to stay at WVU and then get canned (or at least be put on the very hot seat) after his next mediocre season. WVU will be ready to move on sooner rather than later, he's been there a long time and only had moderate success.

What kind of job could he get if they go 5-7 or 6-6 next year and he's fired?

ifrog

I’m a Holgorsen fan, but I’m fairly convinced he’s not going to be a top tier coach. He’s a really good coach, but he’s not elite by any means. Although it takes really good coaching, it also takes really good players to have a great season.

Holgorsen had one in a healthy Grier this year. I have no idea who’s coming in behind Grier next year, but unless it’s an experienced grad transfer, I’d imagine they fall right back into the middle of the Big12 pack.

Just looked it up and they have a Miami transfer, former 4*, 6’5” Junior(2019), Jack Allison. So if he pans out, they may do well.
With that loss they actually fell into the middle of the pack (4th) with their best team since entering the B12.

Fosterpark Squatter

It is frustrating and one of the main reasons I don’t lump myself in with the rest of Tech fandom that they have no concept of the true program footprint within the sporting landscape.

I really think many Tech fans are going to be sorely disappointed in whomever eventually becomes coach as I don’t think it will be near a sexy enough hire for them. Holgo would be certifiable to go back and Venables is truly a pipe dream unless he’s insane as well.

Being dominant year in and year out is unrealistic but the Ole Miss of the Big 12 should be able to have some success every few years.