• The KillerFrogs

Team Leader at UT in trouble for excessive truth-telling

HornyWartyToad

Starting DT committed the cardinal sin of publicly acknowledging what pretty much everyone already knows.

"Asked last week whether young players listen to him, Ojomo said, “They’re 18- to 22-year-olds that want to chase women, want to chase money, want to chase alcohol and they don’t see the future. They’re very distracted by what is in front of them. He continued by saying there are players "more worried about being on Sixth Street than, like, balling and making $50 million dollars. It’s crazy as hell. I don't know why.”

“It’s such a hard thing, especially guys that haven't been in a winning culture,” Ojomo added. “That’s why it’s very easy for a lot of these powerhouses to keep going, because it’s established. ... It’s so much more difficult. They always talk about coming here and changing stuff. Coming here, changing stuff, it's like it's ingrained."

Asked if he would discipline Ojomo, Sarkisian said, “He won't be talking to you guys for awhile.”

Moro Ojomo’s candid remarks spotlight culture battle Steve Sarkisian is waging at Texas​

Nick Danger

Ojomo makes it seem like this culture problem has manifested itself only the last couple of years with "the young guys"! Well, this Texas culture cancer has been underwhelming it's Big-12 foes for over a decade, by wasting numerous highly rated recruiting classes that wander into that 6th Avenue Twilight Zone they've got down there. Ojomo doesn't seem to realize that just a couple of years ago, his class was "the young guys" doing the exact same thing.

On the other hand, Sarkisian's "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" shtick, is not going to help fix their chronic problem. Nor will being in the SEC!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If UT goes .500 this season, they roll out the guillotine for Sark. I believe his Baseline for Retention is 8 wins. Anything less, and the wheels begin turning for a replacement following the 2023 season. A 6-6 season or less, and the wheels turn a lot faster.

Personally, I hope for a 5-win season for UT. With a number of close-but-not-quite-there losses which drive the Longhorn Nation to new heights of frustration and angst. Because, there's no dumpster fire like an Austin dumpster fire. It's schadenfruedelicious!

As to whether Patterson would pick up the reins if offered, that's a toughie. Does he want that headache again? He was dealing with entitlement issues when he was here and hated it. UT is far and away worse than it ever was at TCU, and there's the added pressure of Alumni and the ever present eyes of the Longhorn Network following him around all day and night. He's high-strung as it is, and that kind of constant nagging would drive him absolutely bonkers.

HornyWartyToad

If UT goes .500 this season, they roll out the guillotine for Sark. I believe his Baseline for Retention is 8 wins. Anything less, and the wheels begin turning for a replacement following the 2023 season. A 6-6 season or less, and the wheels turn a lot faster.

Personally, I hope for a 5-win season for UT. With a number of close-but-not-quite-there losses which drive the Longhorn Nation to new heights of frustration and angst. Because, there's no dumpster fire like an Austin dumpster fire. It's schadenfruedelicious!

As to whether Patterson would pick up the reins if offered, that's a toughie. Does he want that headache again? He was dealing with entitlement issues when he was here and hated it. UT is far and away worse than it ever was at TCU, and there's the added pressure of Alumni and the ever present eyes of the Longhorn Network following him around all day and night. He's high-strung as it is, and that kind of constant nagging would drive him absolutely bonkers.
Suspect Gary's need to be told he's still pretty outweighs any voices of common sense in that scenario

NWAFrog

I've viewed Patterson as the backup plan if Sark doesn't make it through the season, I hope I'm wrong but it would not surprise me at all.

froginaustin

I've viewed Patterson as the backup plan if Sark doesn't make it through the season, I hope I'm wrong but it would not surprise me at all.

This.^^^

About like Coach Kill was at TCU. With about as much chance as Coach Kill for the permanent job for numerous reasons already beaten to death on this board.

And if Sark makes it to the end of the season by some miracle, GP fades away at UTx like the Cheshire Cat.

Pharm Frog

This.^^^

About like Coach Kill was at TCU. With about as much chance as Coach Kill for the permanent job for numerous reasons already beaten to death on this board.

And if Sark makes it to the end of the season by some miracle, GP fades away at UTx like the Cheshire Cat.
Agree 100%

Relic

I'm just guessing that when the powers-that-be are recruiting players, all the night life in Austin is heavily touted, the pretty girls are heavily touted, the NIL money is heavily touted, the prestige of being a Longhorn is heavily touted. Then once they sign them and get them on campus, they have to try and distract them from all those perks that got them there, and convince them to work hard, study hard, and play football. Almost like the old bait-and-switch...

helcap

Ojomo makes it seem like this culture problem has manifested itself only the last couple of years with "the young guys"! Well, this Texas culture cancer has been underwhelming it's Big-12 foes for over a decade, by wasting numerous highly rated recruiting classes that wander into that 6th Avenue Twilight Zone they've got down there. Ojomo doesn't seem to realize that just a couple of years ago, his class was "the young guys" doing the exact same thing.

On the other hand, Sarkisian's "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" shtick, is not going to help fix their chronic problem. Nor will being in the SEC!
from his full interview

"To me, it's very easy for a lot of these powerhouses to keep going, because it (the culture) is established. So the new guys come in, and they're like, 'Oh ****, this is how we have to do it. This is what we do.'
"They always talk about coming here and changing stuff. It's like it's ingrained. Like you're uprooting - what? - 10 years of **** that's just been let go."

Doesn't sound like he thinks it has manifest just the last couple of years

With regard to his class

It's sad. I have this accountability group, and I met with my group, and I tried to impart on them how many guys I came in with (in 2018) that had talent and have done nothing with themselves. It's sad. They have a bare-minimum degree and made no money off football. I tried to impart on them that you can't waste this opportunity.

Eight

Starting DT committed the cardinal sin of publicly acknowledging what pretty much everyone already knows.

"Asked last week whether young players listen to him, Ojomo said, “They’re 18- to 22-year-olds that want to chase women, want to chase money, want to chase alcohol and they don’t see the future. They’re very distracted by what is in front of them. He continued by saying there are players "more worried about being on Sixth Street than, like, balling and making $50 million dollars. It’s crazy as hell. I don't know why.”

“It’s such a hard thing, especially guys that haven't been in a winning culture,” Ojomo added. “That’s why it’s very easy for a lot of these powerhouses to keep going, because it’s established. ... It’s so much more difficult. They always talk about coming here and changing stuff. Coming here, changing stuff, it's like it's ingrained."

Asked if he would discipline Ojomo, Sarkisian said, “He won't be talking to you guys for awhile.”

Moro Ojomo’s candid remarks spotlight culture battle Steve Sarkisian is waging at Texas​

wait, you mean that stops for some of us at 22?

asleep003

A daring prediction, and you may be totally on target. But I see the 'horns going about .750 and GP not mixing well enough with the big cigar crowd to be given the keys to that kingdom.
Since GP not in charge... sure he is wise enough to button it up, not to mention avoiding Donors for now. If they can't win more than 6 games in 2023, Sark will be gone and GP will be given the task of changing the culture by examining the recruits beyond their skill, like he was so good at most of his tenure in Frogland... Prior to entering the SEC.