• The KillerFrogs

TCU's debt of gratitude to Michigan football

JogginFrog

@Panther City Frog mentioned in another thread that the Frogs and Wolverines have never met on the gridiron. But that doesn't mean there's never been a connection between Michigan and TCU football. Quite the opposite. Thought it was worth a thread.

In 2013 TCU Magazine published a feature story, "When TCU First Loved Football." As the story goes, AddRan College co-founder and president, Addison Clark, thoroughly opposed athletics (preferring military drills and long hikes). But he made the mistake of sending his son, "Little Addie," to the University of Michigan, which had been playing football for two decades and went a combined 26-2-1 from 1894 through 1896. When Little Addie returned to Texas in 1896, he was eager to introduce the sport and managed to convince his father not to oppose it. He and TCU faculty member A.C. Easley, who had picked up a rule book while studying at the U. of Chicago, organized the first (intramural) game at TCU on Thanksgiving Day 1896, and the first intercollegiate game against Toby's Business College followed on Dec. 7.

So, a tip of the hat to Michigan football for helping introduce TCU to the sport. Here's to the Frogs teaching the Wolverines a lesson of their own on Dec. 31.

(Photo of the 1897 TCU team)
313FEboysfromheights.jpg

Last edited:

CountryFrog

I thought our debt of gratitude would be to this amazing Michigan team allowing our tiny Frogs that can't possibly match up with them physically to share the field with them on December 31st in Arizona.

Very kind and considerate of Harbaugh, the school, and the entire state of Michigan.

JogginFrog

We really played Toby's Business College? I thought that was a runnning joke.
Not only TCU's inaugural game but also Baylor's. More about Ed Toby and his college:

Not sure if the quote "one of the largest business schools in the country" is accurate or just another coming-soon-to-Waco-ism.

LSU Game Attendee

Not only TCU's inaugural game but also Baylor's. More about Ed Toby and his college:

Not sure if the quote "one of the largest business schools in the country" is accurate or just another coming-soon-to-Waco-ism.
I really appreciated Toby sending a rep to the crazy Utah game at old school AGCS in 2009.