• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs UT, ESPN+

Pharm Frog

How about going small and inverting the offense (pulling UT's big away from the basket) and put Des on the block?

I'd like to see that.

That’s an idea but I’d have no idea why UT’s (or anyone’s) big is going to move anywhere because it’s not like KS is a threat from more than about 5’ and haven’t seen LeDee show any ability to force an honest defense. IMO if Grayer doesn’t give us at least something (and it doesn’t have to be a lot), we’re gonna have a tough time winning against even mediocre competition. I don’t know what he had tonight but it couldn’t have been much.

CountryFrog

I don’t disagree one bit that it would be far preferable to get Bane more shots. What happened tonight is the Frogs got outshot from the floor, gave up 50% shooting from 3, got out-rebounded by a small number IIRC, and UT had more assists as well. And lost by one when we had the last possession opportunity to win. I sometimes think we don’t give opposing D enough credit for shutting down Bane as a primary option. But to your point....unless someone else gets hot, there’s not many other options that I see.
Definitely agree with other teams defending Bane. That was my biggest fear with this years team. Then you add into that his own willingness to pass the ball so much and if other guys aren't making 3's then the offense gets pretty stagnant.

Skip Jansen

That’s an idea but I’d have no idea why UT’s (or anyone’s) big is going to move anywhere because it’s not like KS is a threat from more than about 5’ and haven’t seen LeDee show any ability to force an honest defense. IMO if Grayer doesn’t give us at least something (and it doesn’t have to be a lot), we’re gonna have a tough time winning against even mediocre competition. I don’t know what he had tonight but it couldn’t have been much.

That's why I said to go small. Make their big defend a smaller player out on the floor.

It's about creating mismatches and gaining advantages.

Pharm Frog

That's why I said to go small. Make their big defend a smaller player out on the floor.

Okay...who would be our extra threat to drag the big away? I could see Bello and perhaps Grayer and RJ by sheer volume, but who else? And what would this do to us on the D side when we’d have nobody to rim protect?

Skip Jansen

Okay...who would be our extra threat to drag the big away? I could see Bello and perhaps Grayer and RJ by sheer volume, but who else? And what would this do to us on the D side when we’d have nobody to rim protect?

First of all, I'm not talking about doing it all game.

To answer your question. You could play some zone. You could front the post and pressure the ball. There's a lot of ways to keep the ball out of a post player's hands.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
What is the proper amount of wringing of my hands and gnashing of my teeth am I supposed to do? I want to learn from many of you how to be so perfectly distraught and angry after a single mid season game. Any help appreciated.

CountryFrog

I could see Smith possibly playing some 5. You're definitely running a risk on the defensive end with that though.

Pharm Frog

First of all, I'm not talking about doing it all game.

To answer your question. You could play some zone. You could front the post and pressure the ball. There's a lot of ways to keep the ball out of a post player's hands.

That’s why I agreed that its an idea. Perhaps it could steal us a few offensive looks at opportune times. I also have no idea who good Bane would be playing offense with his back to the basket.

Skip Jansen

That’s why I agreed that its an idea. Perhaps it could steal us a few offensive looks at opportune times. I also have no idea who good Bane would be playing offense with his back to the basket.

Never know unless you try. It would give the best player on the team the ball in a scoring position. I like that better than RJ taking twice the shots as Des.

Wexahu

He has the body to be pretty effective posting up against small defenders, but I bet he’s spent about 10 minutes in his life trying to really develop a back to the basket offensive game. Kind of goes back to my point that nobody really seems to develop any skills beyond flying to the basket or shooting a 3.

I watch these guys (and not just TCU players) and wonder what the hell they work on in practice.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
This game was purely low energy IMHO. We only acted like we gave a damn for maybe ten minutes total. I think most fans were shocked at empty seats and a dead atmosphere. Even Texas looked lethargic, just got lucky and hit game-of-horse shots. I can't tell what to take from that mess. Better win in Austin, and I think we can.

PurpleBlood87

Also on the last play, why is Samuel even on the floor? He's the one setting the screen but since he's no threat as a shooter then his defender can play 5 feet off him and basically negate the screen. If you have a shooting threat set the screen then it's a much more difficult decision for the defense.

Just my opinion. I'm not super knowledgeable in basketball X's and O's.

For a tip in off a miss.

PurpleBlood87

CJD said he wrote defending three pointers on the chalkboard before the game and rebounding.

Said things like that just haven't kicked in with the squad and they should be kicking in thos late in the season.

He didn't say this but Fuller's missed dunk was huge. Also Farabello got fouled on his shot late in the game.