• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Ohio St. Prediction Threads

Mean Purple

No smack. This is a prediction thread and this qualifies. In all honesty, I am wondering if Ohio State fans are going to travel well for this game after visiting in bowl season. Plus I don’t really know the expectations for your fan base in that regard. If I had to predict, I would guess 50/50, but who knows.
I would imagine buckeye fans would travel. I mean, think about it, if I lived in that crap hole of a state, I'd be trying everything I can to get out of there.

Welcome to the party. Enjoy your stay.

Buckeye

I would imagine buckeye fans would travel. I mean, think about it, if I lived in that crap hole of a state, I'd be trying everything I can to get out of there.

Welcome to the party. Enjoy your stay.

LOL. If I had the expendable income, I would be there for sure. Alas, I do not, so I am stuck as you suggest.

I accept your cordial invitation to the party.

Mean Purple

LOL. If I had the expendable income, I would be there for sure. Alas, I do not, so I am stuck as you suggest.

I accept your cordial invitation to the party.
Screw it, sell the house, quit the job and move to the coast. Sounds like property is about to get real cheap there, real soon.

Buckeye

Screw it, sell the house, quit the job and move to the coast. Sounds like property is about to get real cheap there, real soon.

I’ve tried to convince the Mrs., trust me. In fact, I work out of my house, so I could do it in a heartbeat, but she won’t go for it.

DixieFrog

Ticket Exchange Pass
I don't think that's accurate.

They are close, but OSU has a larger line on average, especially at guard.

From LT- RT per team:

TCU: 6'7" 328, 6'3" 311, 6'4" 295, 6'5" 295, 6'7" 314
TCU Avg: 6'5.2" 308.6

OSU: 6'6" 319, 6'7" 310, 6'7" 310, 6'4" 308, 6'7" 310
OSU Avg: 6'6.2" 311.4

As far as DL, I have no clue but am not going to spend time looking it up as size is much less important for DL.

That extra inch is important, right Wang?

Mean Purple

I’ve tried to convince the Mrs., trust me. In fact, I work out of my house, so I could do it in a heartbeat, but she won’t go for it.
Are you driving in for the game?
If so, after to get through Oklahoma, two things you have to do.

A. Stop and make sure you still have your hubcaps/wheels/etc.

B. Go down 35W and stop at BUC -EE'S. Will be a good place for Ohio State fans to stretch their legs … and the name just works out. It's like the old Stuckey's road side stops on steroids.

Lone Frog

No smack. This is a prediction thread and this qualifies. In all honesty, I am wondering if Ohio State fans are going to travel well for this game after visiting in bowl season. Plus I don’t really know the expectations for your fan base in that regard. If I had to predict, I would guess 50/50, but who knows.

I expect you'll outnumber us, though perhaps not by much. Bear in mind TCU is a small school, with an undergraduate enrollment of around 10K. We've got something like 70K-80K living alumni worldwide. This is why we roll our eyes at people who mock us for a stadium seating 45,000 - if it's full of students and alumni, it's a significant portion of all the people on the planet with a direct connection to the university.

We also (if I'm to be completely honest) spent most of the second half of the 20th century sucking at football, so a lot of folks graduated without absorbing that school spirit aspect of ardently supporting the team. Some of us ('92 graduate myself) are exceptions to that. Obviously, 20 years of success has created a lot more devotion from the Fort Worth community than there was when I was in school, but I don't know how many fans we have that never attended the school. Certainly nothing like the legions traditionally successful big state schools can muster.

Then there's the fact this game was supposed to be at Amon Carter and part of our season ticket package, but has now been moved 20 miles away and we're being asked to shell out more money to attend. This has been discussed ad nauseum around here, and I'm not passing judgment either way, just saying it may be a factor in some people not coming.

That's a lot of talking to come around to me thinking you'll probably enjoy a 60/40 crowd advantage.

Buckeye

Are you driving in for the game?
If so, after to get through Oklahoma, two things you have to do.

A. Stop and make sure you still have your hubcaps/wheels/etc.

B. Go down 35W and stop at BUC -EE'S. Will be a good place for Ohio State fans to stretch their legs … and the name just works out. It's like the old Stuckey's road side stops on steroids.

Love the tips. How about this. When either team eeks out a hard fought victory, and both go undefeated, I’ll spring for tickets to watch the rematch in the title game.

Mean Purple

I expect you'll outnumber us, though perhaps not by much. Bear in mind TCU is a small school, with an undergraduate enrollment of around 10K. We've got something like 70K-80K living alumni worldwide. This is why we roll our eyes at people who mock us for a stadium seating 45,000 - if it's full of students and alumni, it's a significant portion of all the people on the planet with a direct connection to the university.

We also (if I'm to be completely honest) spent most of the second half of the 20th century sucking at football, so a lot of folks graduated without absorbing that school spirit aspect of ardently supporting the team. Some of us ('92 graduate myself) are exceptions to that. Obviously, 20 years of success has created a lot more devotion from the Fort Worth community than there was when I was in school, but I don't know how many fans we have that never attended the school. Certainly nothing like the legions traditionally successful big state schools can muster.

Then there's the fact this game was supposed to be at Amon Carter and part of our season ticket package, but has now been moved 20 miles away and we're being asked to shell out more money to attend. This has been discussed ad nauseum around here, and I'm not passing judgment either way, just saying it may be a factor in some people not coming.

That's a lot of talking to come around to me thinking you'll probably enjoy a 60/40 crowd advantage.
Could be more 50/50 and not a sell out. Went to the Cotton Bowl with my pop last year. There were not as many at that game (on both sides) as claimed. Plus, after having to shell out the crazy cash Jerry charges for a beer, they may be fed up with it as much as folks here in Texas.

Buckeye

Appreciate the thought put into this. Obviously OSU is a huge school with a big following, but sometimes they don’t travel. I figure you will get quite a few pro TCU bandwagon fans to augment your faithful and even things up.

I know this is a bit of a forecast at this point, but do you guys anticipate the school/fan base growing as the DFW area grows or are there enough football outlets that the influx of people will not have a significant change on the fan base?

PO Frog

I know this is a bit of a forecast at this point, but do you guys anticipate the school/fan base growing as the DFW area grows or are there enough football outlets that the influx of people will not have a significant change on the fan base?
The problem is that DFW is full of everyone that graduates from UT, Aggy, tech, OU (those schools combined probably outnumber TCU 20 to 1 in new graduates each year) etc., so there's no real opportunity to add those fans to the TCU base. And there's too much going on in FW for it to ever be a college town. That leaves us with alumni that stay in state and converts that move into town but have no allegiance to conference foes. We are a small private school with a relatively small fan base and that's all we will ever be. We can take pride in percentages though, like "50% of our living alumni show up for every game" type stats.

Chongo94

I’m interested to see if the DFW community at large comes out for the game and hopefully, if they do, more will be pulling for the Frogs.

Chongo94

I am going to the game. Any members who live in the Dallas/Arlington area, what are some recommended restaurants?

Hmmm. Where will you be staying?...over in the Dallas area? I can only speak to some steak places and whatnot over there. I try to go to Dallas as little as possible ha.