• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs. NC State: Saturday Regional Game

Deep Purple

Punter1 said:
Emotional or statistical...our in play baserunning this year has sucked.

Our base running this year has won us waaaay more games than it has cost us.  I don't recall you ever complaining about our base running after a win.

Deep Purple

salamander said:
Well it was right down the middle and went 126 the other direction....

Which is usually how the ball reacts off a very fast pitch that connects dead-center with the barrel of the bat.  How many HRs have we seen hit to dead-center at Lupton?  Virtually none.  That alone tells you the pitch had a very high velocity.

jack the frog

froginmn said:
You bunt every single time you are in that situation.

Is a bunt there a no-brainer? I played for a number of years and do not recall that as an automatic with 0 outs but that was 30 plus years ago. I have forgotten much. You seem to follow the game more closely than I do.

Purp

Pharm Frog said:
Aggie RF with a -4 inch vertical jump
Generous, IMO. Pretty sure his knees bent like he was going to jump, but also sure all of his cleats didn't make it out of the warning track. My grandma jumps higher.

Purp

Moose Stuff said:
Not sure how ready I am to see Riley again. As strange as that might sound.
Hex, IMO. You're fired. But so am I bc I thought the same thing the whole time he was out there. He needs to mix something in with the gas to keep hitters off balance. Especially when his gas is topping put at 93.

ThisIsOurTime

Tough loss but now Schloss has a tough decision to make regarding the pitching.  TCU has to win 3 games and will need to beat NC State twice today to advance.  TCU does have Alexander and Young ready to go.  The decision is whether you save both for NC State and scrounge together another pitching group for the Stony Brook opponent OR do you pitch Young or Alexander against Stony Brook to increase odds you get to NC State?  I think Schloss will choose the latter but am really thinking the former would be the better decision.  .  .  

Pharm Frog

Gehörnter Frosch said:

This is correct.  He had a very small lead from the bag to begin with, and then he didn't even start to run until the ball hit the bat.  I'm sorry, but if the bunt is on, the runner should be halfway from 2nd to 3rd by the time the ball is on the ground.  If it's accidentally popped up, there's plenty of time to get back to 2nd before being forced out.
What if it's a ball and it's not bunted at all?

ThisIsOurTime

Purp said:
Hex, IMO. You're fired. But so am I bc I thought the same thing the whole time he was out there. He needs to mix something in with the gas to keep hitters off balance. Especially when his gas is topping put at 93.
Biggest problem for RIley right now is falling behind on batters.  Right out of the gate, he goes down 2-0 to the first batter.  Then, he struggles throughout the inning to get ahead in the count.  This has been an issue his last few outings.  Think we will see Riley bounce back today.  He is too good of a pitcher to not bounce back. 

froginmn

jack the weed said:

Is a bunt there a no-brainer? I played for a number of years and do not recall that as an automatic with 0 outs but that was 30 plus years ago. I have forgotten much. You seem to follow the game more closely than I do.
I coach at the youth level and was part of coach selection committee and that situation is actually an interview question.

The correct answer, which I heard dozens of times from candidates with lots more knowledge than i, is "it depends who's at the plate, and who's on base, but with all that said, I'm going to bunt him over."

I'm not trying to act like some guru, but it drives me crazy to hear people on here saying that Schloss made a mistake.

ThisIsOurTime

KLPFROG said:
It's all hands on deck today if you are a Frog fan!! Those boys are going to need our energy! Let's go win 2 today! GO FROGS!!!!!
Preach.  However, we have to win 3 today to advance.  That 3rd game will be the one where the energy will be needed the most.

Moose Stuff

froginmn said:
I coach at the youth level and was part of coach selection committee and that situation is actually an interview question.

The correct answer, which I heard dozens of times from candidates with lots more knowledge than i, is "it depends who's at the plate, and who's on base, but with all that said, I'm going to bunt him over."

I'm not trying to act like some guru, but it drives me crazy to hear people on here saying that Schloss made a mistake.
If I was on the selection committee the correct answer would be "swing away".  I absolutely despise what bunting is doing to college baseball.  

ThisIsOurTime

KLPFROG said:
From what I read, third game is on Monday.
Thought the games all had to be done by noon on Monday.  

KLPFROG said:
Just checked the bracket. If necessary game is on Monday at 7 pm. Please Lord, let's make it necessary!
My apologies, I had heard all the games had to be in by Monday at Noon.  

Punter1

Moose Stuff said:
If I was on the selection committee the correct answer would be "swing away".  I absolutely despise what bunting is doing to college baseball.  
I do too...but I'd much rather trust K Jones to lay down a bunt then to hit the ball to the right side.

Down a run you gotta tie the game..the best odds are getting that guy to 3rd with 1 out. I hate AugieBall bunting in the 2nd inning of a scoreless game after a leadoff walk or single.

But last night you gotta tie the game and the highest percentage play is to bunt...especially with a fundamentally sound, yet light hitting, senior up.

Had that been Cody or CW, MAYBE, let them swing and trust them to hit the ball to the right side. But with KJ..you gotta bunt.