• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Kansas State Big Xii tourney thread

WhatTheFrog

the biggest thing to me about the nit run a few years back was it gave a team that was coming together valuable games to play and grow the buy in to what dixon was asking them to do in his program.

in regards to the nit title for me that is the basketball equivalent of winning an off brand bowl game. winning is always nice, but if you ask me is it better to win a non-bcs bowl game or lose in the first round of the college play-offs it is lose in the play-offs.

that is the ultimate goal and for most basketball programs the ncaa tournament is the goal.
Making the 68 team field does not equal making the final 4. I understand that you don't have a chance to make the final 4 without making the final 68, but really? In this case, I think making a run in the NIT is better than losing the first round of the NCAAs. We might even make the NCAA and break the streak since the 50's or whatever, but that's about the best we can hope for this season, realistically. Sucks losing 4 scholly players mid-season.

Eight

Making the 68 team field does not equal making the final 4. I understand that you don't have a chance to make the final 4 without making the final 68, but really? In this case, I think making a run in the NIT is better than losing the first round of the NCAAs. We might even make the NCAA and break the streak since the 50's or whatever, but that's about the best we can hope for this season, realistically. Sucks losing 4 scholly players mid-season.

each to their own, i don't see the charm in competing in the basketball version of the miss congeniality tournament especially when this season isn't as much about building towards something as surviving the season.

Zubaz

I can't fathom preferring a run in the NIT, even winning the thing, to making the tournament. There's no comparison. Going to the NIT is not even like winning an off-brand bowl game, it's like going to the lowest of the low bowl game like the Bahamas Bowl or the Smurf Turf bowl against the 3rd place MAC or Sun Belt team. It's a completely different level that it's silly to even consider.

Armadillo

I won’t attack anyone’s opinion of NCAA (1 & done) vs NIT (long run into at least the semis).

I’d prefer ncaa every darn time.

I see pluses and minuses on both sides of the argument.

But ncaa is always the goal.

WhatTheFrog

each to their own, i don't see the charm in competing in the basketball version of the miss congeniality tournament especially when this season isn't as much about building towards something as surviving the season.
Why do we compete in bowl games that aren't part of the playoff? Isn't every season trying to build toward something better, even when we fall short of expectations?

Screw the Rose Bowl, that didn't mean crap. Same with the Peach. Were those not "Miss Congeniality" bowls, according to you, at least?

I don't get your reasoning.

WhatTheFrog

I can't fathom preferring a run in the NIT, even winning the thing, to making the tournament. There's no comparison. Going to the NIT is not even like winning an off-brand bowl game, it's like going to the lowest of the low bowl game like the Bahamas Bowl or the Smurf Turf bowl against the 3rd place MAC or Sun Belt team. It's a completely different level that it's silly to even consider.
Why are we proud of winning the toilet bowl 2 years ago, then? Should the school erase that from the record books?

Zubaz

Why are we proud of winning the toilet bowl 2 years ago, then? Should the school erase that from the record books?
If you gave me the option that year to give up a known NIT title for a berth in the NCAA tournament, I would have taken it without even thinking twice or having any regrets. None. I think about 99% of college basketball fans would do the same.

We are proud of that NIT title because our Basketball team was Washington Generals bad for 20 years prior to it, but while it's a nice accomplishment to show progress...everyone knows that it is what it is, and it's not something to beat our chest about and proclaim superiority over.

Eight

Why do we compete in bowl games that aren't part of the playoff? Isn't every season trying to build toward something better, even when we fall short of expectations?

Screw the Rose Bowl, that didn't mean crap. Same with the Peach. Were those not "Miss Congeniality" bowls, according to you, at least?

I don't get your reasoning.

a big part for the coaches in all honesty is extra bowl practices and the exposure of the game.

there really isn't a comparative among the bowl games and playing in the ncaa versus the nit. the best comparison is the eyeballs the 1-aa play-off games draw versus the bowl games and that isn't an exact one.

the ncaa grown to its own freaking unofficial holidays. i know people with work i will not call on that opening thursday and friday because they are out watching the opening round games. i could find a few at some sports bars and brew pubs, but i know no one that has that some degree of anticipation for the nit tournament.

additionally, i have been told by some high school coaches that when the tcu staff talks about playing in bowl games that is nice, but feel at times we go a bit oversell on some of the bowl wins. some big football recruits like the idea of playing in a bowl game every year, but don't show them rings unless they are one of the elite bowls and it better have been the last 4-5 years.

Pharm Frog

If you gave me the option that year to give up a known NIT title for a berth in the NCAA tournament, I would have taken it without even thinking twice or having any regrets. None. I think about 99% of college basketball fans would do the same.

We are proud of that NIT title because our Basketball team was Washington Generals bad for 20 years prior to it, but while it's a nice accomplishment to show progress...everyone knows that it is what it is, and it's not something to beat our chest about and proclaim superiority over.

The original question was which situation would be more enjoyable. I take a rather selfish view on what is enjoyable and it has nothing to do with building programs or office bragging rights or anything like that. It is purely about what I find more entertaining. So....I would take winning five or six games en route to a championship win in Madison Square Garden every single time over getting chewed up by a Boeheim extended 2-3 zone and going bye bye in the first round of an NCAA tourney in a city far far away. I'd happily take five or six evenings of entertainment over a possible mid-Thursday afternoon exit (similar to today actually). Now in fairness, I'd take a trip to the Sweet 16 over that NIT scenario so the games are most definitely not waited for me at a 1:1 ratio of enjoyment.

Pharm Frog

additionally, i have been told by some high school coaches that when the tcu staff talks about playing in bowl games that is nice, but feel at times we go a bit oversell on some of the bowl wins. some big football recruits like the idea of playing in a bowl game every year, but don't show them rings unless they are one of the elite bowls and it better have been the last 4-5 years.

Reminds me of when my father decided to take the superintendency in a smaller town and told people that the first thing he would do is tear down the "State Football Championship" sign from 50 years earlier that he said advertised a half-century of futility. He did...then the school went on to win two or three state championships in the next four or five years. The he had a sign made that had those plus the one from ancient times.

WhatTheFrog

You wouldn't take 2 NIT titles over two one and done's in the NCAA? Consider we are in the toughest basketball conference in the country, bar none. That just seems crazy to me. I'd rather win the Weedeater Bowl than lose it.

Edit: I would consider a NIT title to a NY6 bowl, at this point, or at least close.

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Why is everyone assuming any potential tournament appearance is a one and done? I don't think we have the horses to go deep, but outside of the absolute meat grinder of the B12 we did ok (and most of our conference mates did too). I remember one year being on the wrong end of a 5-12 matchup against a power conference team which was under .500 in conference. It happens. I think every B12 participant is made stronger by the high level of competition.

Dogfrog

Lord, there are 68 participants in the NCAA basketball tournament. There are 4 in the football playoff. Anybody who doesn’t see the difference...???????? Has our forum regressed?

tetonfrog

Why does anyone think we would make a long run in the NIT? Assuming the Frogs would make it to NYC is a bit of a stretch - hell we just barely beat a bad OSU team.