• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs CSF Game #3

tcudoc

About once a year, Deep gets in on a subject and takes a hard line approach on a topic where he is the lone wolf and believes he is 100% correct. The term "straw man" gets thrown around several times. Everyone except him agrees that he is incorrect in his assessment, then everyone decides that he is a good frog fan and stops arguing with him. He IS a good frog fan and a great contributor to the forum. He just has strong opinions about things.

Eight

not going to say no - I had a teammate that was seriously a real life Wild Thing situation where his eye sight had slowly gotten the point he could not see that well and got glasses - everything changed.

But there are a few players on the team that have now had enough cycles at the plate where other teams have figured out their weakness and that is all they see now - i.e. outside breaking pitches that a "elevate the ball" swing with a lot of hands has zero chance of doing anything with beyond foul balls or rolling over a grounder to a middle infielder...

Happens every year with Nunez - he starts strong, then teams remember he doesn't hit breaking pitches well and he goes in a rut. Then he generally gets one stretch where teams seem to forget and he gets his eyes and hands working well again and has a good string of games.

heard an interview on the radio from one of the two founders of the company that designed and administers the processing test that was discussed before and during the nfl draft

they have developed a version of the test for baseball that measures processing speed and impulse control

not sure if tcu did or does utilize this type of tool, the company site references being used by a few sec schools including vandy

hometown frog

heard an interview on the radio from one of the two founders of the company that designed and administers the processing test that was discussed before and during the nfl draft

they have developed a version of the test for baseball that measures processing speed and impulse control

not sure if tcu did or does utilize this type of tool, the company site references being used by a few sec schools including vandy
Not sure if TCU still uses it, but a few years ago they used some software that helps measure and train pitch recognition thru screen flashing on/off. (Type of pitch, location info etc trying to get as close to out of the hand as possible Before the screen goes blank and you have to answer the questions.

Deep Purple

man - are you this much of a blowhard in real life?
Looking Good Episode 2 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I took issue with a single statement, which everybody on this board does at some point. You and 1-2 others blew that up into a big debate to defend batters over plate umpires -- apparently with the survival of the Free World hanging on justifying the batters.

It was just a general observation about baseball, but you and a few others elevated it to a very passionate personal issue. Maybe if you fellas hadn't blown so hard against such a minor point, this topic would have died a page or two ago.

Being able to figure out if that pitch is a ball, strike, your pitch, something you need to just foul off, etc during the .4 seconds it takes a 90 mph fastball to reach the plate is an entirely different thing and the main difference between guys that hit .400 and guys that hit below the Mendoza line.

Which proves my point, thank you. The difference between guys that hit .400 and guys that hit below the Mendoza line shows exactly why we know that "hitters know a ball when they see one" can't possibly be categorically true.

Eight

Not sure if TCU still uses it, but a few years ago they used some software that helps measure and train pitch recognition thru screen flashing on/off. (Type of pitch, location info etc trying to get as close to out of the hand as possible Before the screen goes blank and you have to answer the questions.

interesting, the guy gave some fairly logical explanations as how the processing time and the impulse control fit together

the example in the interview the radio hosts and the guy discussed was someone like craig biggio who obviously saw the ball well enough to amass over 3,000 mlb hits and yet would still chase breaking pitches down and away throughout an 18-20 year career

Deep Purple

About once a year, Deep gets in on a subject and takes a hard line approach on a topic where he is the lone wolf and believes he is 100% correct. The term "straw man" gets thrown around several times. Everyone except him agrees that he is incorrect in his assessment, then everyone decides that he is a good frog fan and stops arguing with him. He IS a good frog fan and a great contributor to the forum. He just has strong opinions about things.
I'm a big fan of yours, Doc, but frankly, you just whiffed. Judging from the private messages I get, I'm rarely a "lone wolf" and everybody doesn't agree that I'm incorrect. But those who agree rarely speak up. Possibly because of the hostile "Fry the bastage!" mentality from those who disagree, or possibly because "Me too!" posts are just boring and add almost nothing to the discussion. The dissenters are always the loudest voices in the crowd.

mc1502

I used to report to one of those two guys. Did the guy you heard have a last name that would be right at home on a Viking ship?

Eight

I used to report to one of those two guys. Did the guy you heard have a last name that would be right at home on a Viking ship?

believe the first name was scott, he played baseball in college which is why the talk about processing time and impulse control hit home so much, well, his having degrees in neurosciences didn't hurt