• The KillerFrogs

TCU v. UT Baseball, Thursday, Game #1

TCURiggs

It should be far harder to call off an aggressively calling outfielder. Far harder. And even harder when there’s a runner on third with less than two outs.

Again, I agree, but if you saw how aggressive Oviedo was on both of those calls it's hard to fault the other guys fair bailing out. That doesn't make it right.

ThisIsOurTime

Tough loss but get to play again tomorrow and Saturday to redeem things. Boulware and Watson should take this game personally as going 0-4 and poor defensive play in the field were big factors in the loss tonight. They should have something to prove the rest of the series.

Pharm Frog

Again, I agree, but if you saw how aggressive Oviedo was on both of those calls it's hard to fault the other guys fair bailing out. That doesn't make it right.

I obviously didn’t see the play but it would not be hard at all to fault any outfielder for bailing out on a catchable ball with a runner at 3rd and less than two outs regardless of how loud the SS was yelling. You make it sound like it happened twice which makes it even stranger.

TCURiggs

I obviously didn’t see the play but it would not be hard at all to fault any outfielder for bailing out on a catchable ball with a runner at 3rd and less than two outs regardless of how loud the SS was yelling. You make it sound like it happened twice which makes it even stranger.

The first one was on a foul ball near the 3B dugout, where Ovieado sprinted in late and called Conner off and almost missed it because it was such a long run. The other was where he sprinted back to shallow LF and called Josh off when the runner was on 3B and he ended up bobbling it while going away from the plate and tried to make a throw home to get the runner tagging. Josh could've easily caught the ball and made a much better throw coming towards home.

ThisIsOurTime

There was another play earlier in the game where Oveido called off the 3rd baseman in a foul ball pop up just behind 3rd base. That was the right call because it is an easier play for the SS but it wasn't executed very well as Oveido was late in getting over creating confusion.

Of course, Watson looked lost tracking fly balls today. He struggled to find another pop up in the 7th or 8th.

Pharm Frog

Thanks for the explanations. Doesn’t really surprise me. There’s been a tad bit too much passivity this season in several regards.