• The KillerFrogs

TCU v. Lipscomb - Game Thread

PO Frog

I’m more concerned with the fact that Bane was shut down tonight and our offense couldn’t do anything to get him any type of looks. He is going to be guarded by a lot better athletes than tonight so it’s a little concerning that we can’t get out should be best scorer the ball.
I think a lot of that falls on Bane to be a little more aggressive with his shot selection. He needs to pull the trigger. Shooters shoot. I was screaming at my tv for him to start jacking. He can get to the bucket as good as anyone else so I’m not wanting him to just launch from long distance, although I wouldn’t complain if he did.

MadFrog

What I see so far is that our redshirt freshman starting guard is a walking turnover and can't shoot, that the crop of JC Centers across the country last year must have been VERY WEAK, that AR is again an up and down player with too many TOs and once again they suck at free throws (this is not acceptable again this year).

4th. down

Lipscomb head coach, Casey Alexander, show cased a lesson in basketball coaching techniques to the Froggies. This is Lipscomb now, not Kansas, but had they not gone 3/21 on 3 pointers, we lose at home by at least 20 to Lipscomb, who I had never even heard of before this game.

Backside cuts and baseline cuts, plus the jump hook in the paint, with smaller players was like a street fight against a knife while we had nothing - they cut us up via coaching and discipline. Hats off to coach Alexander to bring this team into our house and ranked in the top 20 and just whipped our ass.

froginmn

Quintessential game thread here - went back to read it this morning.

Not a hint of play by play or even score; just the very occasional reference to "up by 1" or "down by 2". And lots of bitching and cliff jumping.

Nailed it!

CountryFrog

I’m more concerned with the fact that Bane was shut down tonight and our offense couldn’t do anything to get him any type of looks. He is going to be guarded by a lot better athletes than tonight so it’s a little concerning that we can’t get our should be best scorer the ball.
I'm not super concerned about that because this team isn't going to be reliant on Bane or any other one guy to score 20+ every night. Right now he's the only real 3 point threat that teams have to focus on, although Robinson has been shooting the 3 really well too. Once Fisher and Noi get back into the flow then it'll be harder for defenses to hone in on any one shooter. Plus Fisher will create some open looks for other players with his penetration.

netty2424

Quintessential game thread here - went back to read it this morning.

Not a hint of play by play or even score; just the very occasional reference to "up by 1" or "down by 2". And lots of bitching and cliff jumping.

Nailed it!

And there it is. The guy who doesn’t participate in the game thread in any way, yet comes in after the game, or in this case next day, and tells everyone how irrational they are and [hundinnen ] that there’s no play by play. There are plenty of apps out there that provide play by play. Seems like a better fit for what you’re looking for. OR.....DVR the game if you can’t watch it live. Just a thought.

I don’t really see any cliff jumping, just typical comments about how they see it playing out right now. It wasn’t good last night.

Purp

I'm not super concerned about that because this team isn't going to be reliant on Bane or any other one guy to score 20+ every night. Right now he's the only real 3 point threat that teams have to focus on, although Robinson has been shooting the 3 really well too. Once Fisher and Noi get back into the flow then it'll be harder for defenses to hone in on any one shooter. Plus Fisher will create some open looks for other players with his penetration.
I think you're right on about Fisher creating a lot more opportunities for this offense, but I think we had the guy on the floor last night to do just this and we went to him too late. KD is a stud and he can get anywhere he wants on the floor at any time and gets a lot of easy looks under the bucket for himself. He can also create for others. The game finally tightened up when we went to him. He really started to take it over on his own. But it was too little about 2 minutes too late.

CJD has mentioned a lot that he likes running with 2 PGs on the floor. I'm beginning to think we may need to run about 5-8 minutes a game with 3 PGs on the floor while Bane gets a blow. Or maybe when we go small have 3 PGs with Bane on the floor. I just feel like Nembhard appears to be close to turning a corner, but it's not happening quickly enough and we're trying to force too much from him when we have a guy in KD who has proven he'll produce. The athleticism is clearly there, but it seems to be a confidence issue in his head and I'm thinking the more he plays without success the harder that mental block will be to overcome.

I'm also a little surprised we didn't see Kaden Archie at all last night. As we went deeper into the 2nd half and nothing seemed to be working I'd have kept going down the bench until I found someone to light a spark. The only 2 who seemed to make a difference all night were JD and KD. As small as Lipscomb was I was thinking JD at the 5 with Kaden at the 4 might have helped us defensively, especailly after our bigs got in big foul trouble.

froggolf65

I think you're right on about Fisher creating a lot more opportunities for this offense, but I think we had the guy on the floor last night to do just this and we went to him too late. KD is a stud and he can get anywhere he wants on the floor at any time and gets a lot of easy looks under the bucket for himself. He can also create for others. The game finally tightened up when we went to him. He really started to take it over on his own. But it was too little about 2 minutes too late.

CJD has mentioned a lot that he likes running with 2 PGs on the floor. I'm beginning to think we may need to run about 5-8 minutes a game with 3 PGs on the floor while Bane gets a blow. Or maybe when we go small have 3 PGs with Bane on the floor. I just feel like Nembhard appears to be close to turning a corner, but it's not happening quickly enough and we're trying to force too much from him when we have a guy in KD who has proven he'll produce. The athleticism is clearly there, but it seems to be a confidence issue in his head and I'm thinking the more he plays without success the harder that mental block will be to overcome.

I'm also a little surprised we didn't see Kaden Archie at all last night. As we went deeper into the 2nd half and nothing seemed to be working I'd have kept going down the bench until I found someone to light a spark. The only 2 who seemed to make a difference all night were JD and KD. As small as Lipscomb was I was thinking JD at the 5 with Kaden at the 4 might have helped us defensively, especailly after our bigs got in big foul trouble.

Archie was not dressed last night. Not sure the situation but hopefully back soon.

Pharm Frog

JD got abused on the defensive end at the 5 late in the game.

Purp

JD got abused on the defensive end at the 5 late in the game.
So did everyone else we put there all game. Samuel and Alok had moments, but couldn't stay out of foul trouble. As much as JD gave up down low he also made some nice plays and managed to avoid the foul trouble. He also drew fouls on the other end and was one of few Frogs to cause problems for them defensively. They didn't have an answer for JD or KD late.

Pharm Frog

So did everyone else we put there all game. Samuel and Alok had moments, but couldn't stay out of foul trouble. As much as JD gave up down low he also made some nice plays and managed to avoid the foul trouble. He also drew fouls on the other end and was one of few Frogs to cause problems for them defensively. They didn't have an answer for JD or KD late.

I am really down on Alok mostly because he appears to get down on himself. On more than two occasions he did something that didn't work out on the offensive end and hung his head while his man blasted to the other end and got us in an early mismatch or an unnecessary help-mode scramble defense. I don't disagree that JD and KD were the only reasons we got back into that game. I just don't think running JD at the 5 is gonna do much for us in the vast majority of games. We simply must get better play out of our real bigs.

Big Frog II

Bane and Samuel getting in foul trouble early really hurt. We have a lot of new pieces on this team that have not jelled. We will have some bad games like last night, but the upside throughout the season should be good. We need Fisher and Noi to get healthy and back in a rhythm. Oh, and make your free throws.

Purp

I am really down on Alok mostly because he appears to get down on himself. On more than two occasions he did something that didn't work out on the offensive end and hung his head while his man blasted to the other end and got us in an early mismatch or an unnecessary help-mode scramble defense. I don't disagree that JD and KD were the only reasons we got back into that game. I just don't think running JD at the 5 is gonna do much for us in the vast majority of games. We simply must get better play out of our real bigs.
No dispute there. I'm really struggling to keep enthusiasm for Alok and Nembhard right now. I remain hopeful b/c they're both still young and there's some obvious native talent there with both of them.

I'm not advocating playing JD at the 5 a lot either. Just situationally to get favorable match-ups when your first few options aren't working. Last night was an opportunity for us to play small and not expose ourselves as much defensively like you typically do when you go small due to our opponent's lack of size inside. When your best big is in foul trouble, his back-up is too, your opponent isn't very big, and your PF is stronger than anyone on their roster it was a definite opportunity and seemed effective when we went to it.

Going small is all about creating mismatches and, from an athletic standpoint, JD is a mismatch to most bigs in college basketball. And with 3 PGs who can score in A-Rob, Fish (when healthy), and KD I see a lot of potential mismatches on the floor for opponents. Especially with Bane out there rounding out the lineup you'd have 5 guys on the floor who can beat their guy off the dribble and also shoot from distance. With that group you can spread the floor and not even call a play to get good looks. Just let the athletes find the match-up they like the best and do work 1 on 1. It seemed like we went to something similar to that late when KD took charge, but there wasn't enough time left.

After reading CJD's comments about the offense being in a funk b/c they haven't been able to play much with the same groups they use in practice, it just seems crazy we wouldn't have gone more to guys like KD with A-Rob who can create their own shots regardless of the personnel on the floor.

netty2424

No dispute there. I'm really struggling to keep enthusiasm for Alok and Nembhard right now. I remain hopeful b/c they're both still young and there's some obvious native talent there with both of them.

I'm not advocating playing JD at the 5 a lot either. Just situationally to get favorable match-ups when your first few options aren't working. Last night was an opportunity for us to play small and not expose ourselves as much defensively like you typically do when you go small due to our opponent's lack of size inside. When your best big is in foul trouble, his back-up is too, your opponent isn't very big, and your PF is stronger than anyone on their roster it was a definite opportunity and seemed effective when we went to it.

Going small is all about creating mismatches and, from an athletic standpoint, JD is a mismatch to most bigs in college basketball. And with 3 PGs who can score in A-Rob, Fish (when healthy), and KD I see a lot of potential mismatches on the floor for opponents. Especially with Bane out there rounding out the lineup you'd have 5 guys on the floor who can beat their guy off the dribble and also shoot from distance. With that group you can spread the floor and not even call a play to get good looks. Just let the athletes find the match-up they like the best and do work 1 on 1. It seemed like we went to something similar to that late when KD took charge, but there wasn't enough time left.

After reading CJD's comments about the offense being in a funk b/c they haven't been able to play much with the same groups they use in practice, it just seems crazy we wouldn't have gone more to guys like KD with A-Rob who can create their own shots regardless of the personnel on the floor.
Nembhard is basically 1/4 in solid play this year so far. Every now and then, he makes a play or a move or a pass and it’s clear to me he’s going to be really good. I think that guy has it. It’s just a little to fast for him right now. I think transitioning from a slasher/shooter to point has proved a bigger learning curve for him than anticipated. That said, he’s very athletic and skilled. I think he comes around late this year after he becomes more comfortable in his role, and is a different player next year. Exited for him despite what we’ve seen so far.

Alok.....no idea what’s going on there. Head scratcher. #1 in the country in juco ranks. For those not real familiar with some of the players in the juco ranks, some of these guys are top in the country, but just didn’t have grades or whatever to qualify. Real talent mixed in at the juco levels. Not saying that was his reason for being there, but point being to be the top guy tells me he should be instant impact. Hope he turns it around and justifies the rankings. We need him.

Purp

Nembhard is basically 1/4 in solid play this year so far. Every now and then, he makes a play or a move or a pass and it’s clear to me he’s going to be really good. I think that guy has it. It’s just a little to fast for him right now. I think transitioning from a slasher/shooter to point has proved a bigger learning curve for him than anticipated. That said, he’s very athletic and skilled. I think he comes around late this year after he becomes more comfortable in his role, and is a different player next year. Exited for him despite what we’ve seen so far.

Alok.....no idea what’s going on there. Head scratcher. #1 in the country in juco ranks. For those not real familiar with some of the players in the juco ranks, some of these guys are top in the country, but just didn’t have grades or whatever to qualify. Real talent mixed in at the juco levels. Not saying that was his reason for being there, but point being to be the top guy tells me he should be instant impact. Hope he turns it around and justifies the rankings. We need him.
I'm with you. I'm hopeful for both b/c I see things here and there that show us what they're capable of. It just hasn't happened for them yet on a sustained basis. If/when it does, though, look the darn out. I wonder if Nembhard will get enough minutes to sort it out once everyone gets/stays healthy. I hope he does. He's definitely got a ton of upside.

jake102

I would say my concern from the last game is the same..... if Samuel gets in foul trouble or isn't playing well, who do we go to?

As far as last night, I will make a bet with anyone that Bane and Noi won't go a combined 3-15 (20%) from the field again. I feel pretty decently saying that will be Bane's worst game of the year... just a real bad game from him.

Last edited: