• The KillerFrogs

TCU UCI Game Thread

Punter1

I felt like Humphrey's missed his best opportunity by taking the first pitch hanging breaker but it worked out.

Hes such a mature hitter for his age...he is not afraid of hitting behid in the coint. I was shocked they walked Watson...Gotta let him try and strike himself out...which he can do. Predictable walk to Humphrey then followed.

Pharm Frog

Hes such a mature hitter for his age...he is not afraid of hitting behid in the coint. I was shocked they walked Watson...Gotta let him try and strike himself out...which he can do. Predictable walk to Humphrey then followed.

I was most definitely not shocked they walked an almost .500 hitter in that situation. Would have been shocked if they had done anything else.

f_399

Schloss was hot after shaking hands with the coaches

He was screaming at their coaches, anyone know what happened?

hometown frog

OK IM looking for a video angle that shows the point of the final catch and the location of our runner at 1B. I kinda think that Hump never tagged up. So if UCi was playing attention they could have doubled him up and spiked that winning run. Would be surprised if that’s what happened but that’s what I sort of thought I saw live.

Pharm Frog

OK IM looking for a video angle that shows the point of the final catch and the location of our runner at 1B. I kinda think that Hump never tagged up. So if UCi was playing attention they could have doubled him up and spiked that winning run. Would be surprised if that’s what happened but that’s what I sort of thought I saw live.

I don't know what happened but I think I know what should have happened. Given that you only need one run to win and there's only one out, Hump should have been standing straight up on top of first base and attempt to advance only if the ball dropped. Watson should have done the same at second and Balta should have been in the foul territory running lane a step or two from first base. Then both Balta and Hump actually become a legal blockade against the thrown from the RF to home plate (as long as they do nothing intentionally to interfere with the throw).

I've only seen it once and it didn't work out for the fielding team, but I have seen a similar situation where the pitcher appears to take the cut-off position since there's no need for a back-up and the first baseman remains at first base and the OF throws directly to first base in an attempt to double up the baserunner. I saw this tried from RCF in a Connie Mack or American Legion game and thought it was not a bad idea. I guess you're banking on the ingrained habit of "going half way".

MTfrog5

I don't know what happened but I think I know what should have happened. Given that you only need one run to win and there's only one out, Hump should have been standing straight up on top of first base and attempt to advance only if the ball dropped. Watson should have done the same at second and Balta should have been in the foul territory running lane a step or two from first base. Then both Balta and Hump actually become a legal blockade against the thrown from the RF to home plate (as long as they do nothing intentionally to interfere with the throw).

I've only seen it once and it didn't work out for the fielding team, but I have seen a similar situation where the pitcher appears to take the cut-off position since there's no need for a back-up and the first baseman remains at first base and the OF throws directly to first base in an attempt to double up the baserunner. I saw this tried from RCF in a Connie Mack or American Legion game and thought it was not a bad idea. I guess you're banking on the ingrained habit of "going half way".
You can add in the first base coach too as a blockade to make sure he’s as far over in the coaches box. I’ve seen the exact play you’re talking about and was pretty entertaining to see the reactions.