• The KillerFrogs

TCU to the Big East

FROGDADDY

I didn't realize we could get enough of a bump in the polls in the spring to get us into a game that has already been played. Great news if true.

The bump in the polls we would get from this will be totally offset by the bump in the polls that Boise will get from beating us 24-23 in the computer simulation they ran on Sportcenter this AM. :wacko:

An-Cap Frog

If they made the announcement today then the TCU team of yesterday wouldn't be able to hang week in and week out with the TCU team of tomorrow.
Not true, because the TCU team of tomorrow then becomes the TCU team of today and the TCU team of the day after tomorrow then becomes the TCU team of tomorrow...

HFrog1999

What exactly is the logic behind the idea that by announcing that we'd be playing in a BCS conference in 2 years, we'd get a bump in the polls now?

I'm right there with you. I don't understand the thinking either.

I'm more concerned that a conference jump would anger the MWC coaches who vote and it would give NM more motivation for next week. I don't see the benefit in making it official today.

mrnicefrog

What exactly is the logic behind the idea that by announcing that we'd be playing in a BCS conference in 2 years, we'd get a bump in the polls now?

What exactly is the logic of the polls at all?

Oregon's close game was different than our close game. :wacko:

Boise beat us last year, so they should be higher; Boise beat Oregon last year, but that was LAST year so it doesn't count. :wacko:

gdu

I didn't realize it was that hard to figure out. Who votes? Coaches and media. Where is the most media? In the BE footprint. Coaches, if their vote is swayed at all, would be more likely to vote conference mates or future conference mates higher if there would otherwise be some indecision. It sounds alot better to say you are adding a NCG-particpant or you just got beat by a team coming off a championship.

Does anyone think all the BE coaches with a vote would move us up to #1? Of course not, but it might not be a bad sub-conscious tie-breaker. We certainly wouldn't hurt ourselves by announcing an agreement before the final polls.

TCUkanoot

I'm more concerned that a conference jump would anger the MWC coaches who vote and it would give NM more motivation for next week. I don't see the benefit in making it official today.

Only "benefit" (if you want to call it that) I see is that we stay in the news during an off week. Maybe a handful of voters don't automatically write Boise ahead of us just because they were the only ones talked about. I think we're grasping at straws though.

gdu

You also thought all CGP was gonna talk about was our next game. I haven't heard CGP mention New Mexico today.

TCUdirtbag

BE may want to do this all at once; formal invite may go out to both new members at the same time so they can do one big press conference with giant Big East logo banners at HQ in Rhode Island or in NYC. That way they can maximize coverage by giving nice audio & video to every BE market + their two new markets. That way they can take 100% control of the story instead of enticing the media go straight to "who else will they add?'

gdu

BE may want to do this all at once; formal invite may go out to both new members at the same time so they can do one big press conference with giant Big East logo banners at HQ in Rhode Island or in NYC. That way they can maximize coverage by giving nice audio & video to every BE market + their two new markets. That way they can take 100% control of the story instead of enticing the media go straight to "who else will they add?'
Why didn't the Pac 10 do that? Or the MWC for that matter?

Opintel

Moderators
Why not? It's not like most of those voters use logic or rationality when voting.

The "worthiness" factor is as big a part of most of the votes as anything; film study, box score perusal, actually knowing anything about the teams, not required. Coaches Poll = assistant who lost the draw-a-straw match makes the picks. :mellow:

halfwaytoheaven

The bump in the polls we would get from this will be totally offset by the bump in the polls that Boise will get from beating us 24-23 in the computer simulation they ran on Sportcenter this AM. :wacko:

Can't believe Jimmy Young didn't grab that last pass. I'm so disappointed in that guy.

HFrog1999

You also thought all CGP was gonna talk about was our next game. I haven't heard CGP mention New Mexico today.

You are such a smart dude. I am so wrong and you've summarized what I was saying so perfectly. I am in complete awe at how awesome you are.

How do you do it?

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Why didn't the Pac 10 do that? Or the MWC for that matter?

Because both conferences were being reactionary. Pac 10 because their Plan A blew up, and the MWC because they were reacting to events as they happened - which didn't happen all at once.

HFrog1999

We did? News to me.

He's trying to nitpick my posts when I was saying I didn't think Patterson would talk about the Big East today.

I was just making the point that Patterson's focus in the interviews would be on this season and he's looking for an opportunity to start a fight so we can all see how awesome he is a lawyerin' and stuff.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
He's trying to nitpick my posts when I was saying I didn't think Patterson would talk about the Big East today.

I was just making the point that Patterson's focus would be on this season and he's looking for an opportunity to start a fight so we can all see how awesome he is a lawyerin' and stuff.

And you were right. On all points.