• The KillerFrogs

TCU to honor Davey O'Brien Sept 1st

82Frog

From Mark Cohen . .

To commemorate the 80th anniversary of quarterback Davey O’Brien winning the Heisman Trophy and the Horned Frogs capturing the 1938 national championship, TCU will celebrate Davey Day as part of its Sept. 1 season opener versus Southern. Kickoff is at 11 a.m. in Amon G. Carter Stadium.

The TCU football team will wear a sticker on its helmet honoring O’Brien, in addition to a field marking for him. Davey O'Brien Jr., his son, will be TCU's honorary captain. Replica O’Brien No. 8 jerseys and t-shirts will be sold. During its pregame show, the TCU band will form a No. 8 on the field. At the Amon G. Carter Stadium concession stands, Ben’s Pretzels will produce a No. 8-shaped pretzel for sale.

O’Brien’s Heisman Trophy and the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award trophy will be on display for pregame photo opportunities in Frog Alley, before moving to the stadium concourse during the game. Video tributes to O’Brien will be played throughout the day, while the game program will feature O’Brien on the cover.

On game day, a floral arrangement will be placed at O’Brien’s statue in front of the Ed and Rae Schollmaier Arena.

dawg

The TCU football team will wear a sticker on its helmet honoring O’Brien, in addition to a field marking for him. D

O’Brien’s Heisman Trophy and the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award trophy will be on display for pregame photo opportunities in Frog Alley, before moving to the stadium concourse during the game. Video tributes to O’Brien will be played throughout the day, while the game program will feature O’Brien on the cover.

Would be a nice touch they wore the helmet sticker and kept the field marked for the whole season.

Leap Frog

Little orphan boy did real good-- yes, he was small, but had a great heart and the big boys couldn't hurt him.
Pop Boone (FW Press) called Davey "The Little Oak Knot", and that pretty much described him.
Thanks for posting 82, and it's so great that Mr. O'Brien still lives in our hearts.

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Somebody get me this hat and I will totally wear it that day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180723-161255_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180723-161255_Chrome.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 12

Leap Frog

Hoosier said:"Wasn't he an FBI agent after pro football?
Yes for 10 years, then worked for the Hunt's Oil Holdings in Dallas

HG73 said: "Short pro career"?
Two years in pros with the Eagles-- led the league in passing and made all-pro. Then on to the FBI.

82 Frog said: " I heard he was only a 2 star".
Because of his size-- came to Frog games, liked the offense and let Dutch know he would like to play for TCU.

Leap Frog

'The Little General'.......Gone But Not Forgotten

Story about Sammy, Davey and the Frogs:
After Baugh had been in the pros awhile, a reporter asked him who the toughest team to play was?
Sam said " That damn 1935 TCU freshman team that coach made us scrimmage with every week".
That frosh bunch had 3 future All-Americans on it (Davey, Ki Aldrich and I.B.Hale).
"They toughened up our championship team, and I knew they were headed for big things."
Sam said that was some of the hardest football he ever played--looks like he was a prophet.

Latest posts