• The KillerFrogs

TCU Sweeps #9 Columbia in tennis!

Jared7

The Frogs just won their 3rd straight huge upset by sweeping the #9 Columbia Lions in tennis! After upsetting then- #12 Duke and then-#12 Florida on the road, we've now earned out biggest upset of the year! The Frogs stormed out of the gate by winning all three doubles matches at virtually the same time. Then, in singles, Guillermo Nunez got things started by winning 1 and love - he's playing some of the best tennis of his life. Then, Trevor Johnson won 2 and 2, and Alex Rybakov clinched it with a W at the #1 slot 2 and 3 for the sweep. Columbia's star - Victor Pham - for some reason, sat out the match, which gave us a big advantage. 10-3 on the year and probably back in the Top 16 when the new rankings are released this week.

Next up is #6 Texas A&M at College Station on Tuesday, which is perhaps our biggest match so far this season. They've got the highest rated recruit - Patrick Kypson - who immediately jumped up to their #1 slot and has been playing great. he's perhaps more famous for hocking a lugie into his hand right prior to the congratulatory handshake following his only loss (to Ohio State's J.J. Wolf) this season. And, they've also got A.J. Catanzariti, perhaps more famous for viciously breaking a racquet last year following a loss (which trended on youtube). Go Frogs - beat the Aggies!!

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

Very nice....I could see myself getting into college tennis. Reminds me a bit of volleyball with it's sometimes inexplicable momentum shifts.

Jared7

Very nice....I could see myself getting into college tennis. Reminds me a bit of volleyball with it's sometimes inexplicable momentum shifts.
It's a lot of fun, with chaos abounding and lots of momentum swings (albeit not so much today because of the sweep). We started this season ranked #10, but then immediately started dropping after an unexpected loss to San Diego, which prevented us from qualifying for the National Indoors In Seattle. And then we had disappointing losses to Carolina (now #5) and Illinois (now #7). But just this past week, it's like we've turned on a switch and are playing our best of the year. I'm predicting Top 16 (which is important in order to host a regional in the NCAA's) when the new rankings are released. if we can beat the Ags, perhaps Top 10 again?

Chongo94

If you haven’t gone to a TCU tennis series, I highly suggest you do post haste. I honestly cannot think of or rather do not know of a better place to enjoy the game. With our facilities and the trees and flowers and the great weather plus the loud fans, it is a perfect way to spend an afternoon or evening.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
If you haven’t gone to a TCU tennis series, I highly suggest you do post haste. I honestly cannot think of or rather do not know of a better place to enjoy the game. With our facilities and the trees and flowers and the great weather plus the loud fans, it is a perfect way to spend an afternoon or evening.
Still free pizza?

Frog-in-law1995

I second this. Took my 8yo to a match last season and we had a great time.

Jared7

Still free pizza?
There's always free pizza on any day ending in "y." The next home match will be a doubleheader a week from today - 3/25 - against UTA and Tulane. The first match will start at 11:00 a.m. and the nightcap will be at 5:00. Then, we'll have OU on 4/13, OSU on 4/15 and Baylor on 4/19 in Big12 play. And, if we make the Top 16, we'll host a regional in the NCAA's.

Punter1

The Frogs just won their 3rd straight huge upset by sweeping the #9 Columbia Lions in tennis! After upsetting then- #12 Duke and then-#12 Florida on the road, we've now earned out biggest upset of the year! The Frogs stormed out of the gate by winning all three doubles matches at virtually the same time. Then, in singles, Guillermo Nunez got things started by winning 1 and love - he's playing some of the best tennis of his life. Then, Trevor Johnson won 2 and 2, and Alex Rybakov clinched it with a W at the #1 slot 2 and 3 for the sweep. Columbia's star - Victor Pham - for some reason, sat out the match, which gave us a big advantage. 10-3 on the year and probably back in the Top 16 when the new rankings are released this week.

Next up is #6 Texas A&M at College Station on Tuesday, which is perhaps our biggest match so far this season. They've got the highest rated recruit - Patrick Krypson - who immediately jumped up to their #1 slot and has been playing great. he's perhaps more famous for hocking a lugie into his hand right prior to the congratulatory handshake following his only loss (to Ohio State's J.J. Wolf) this season. And, they've also got A.J. Catanzariti, perhaps more famous for viciously breaking a racquet last year following a loss (which trended on youtube). Go Frogs - beat the Aggies!!

Krypson did what???? You serious???

Jared7

Krypson did what???? You serious???
He lost a really close match to J.J. Wolf at Ohio State and as they both approached the net for the congratulatory handshake, he hocked a lugie and spit in his hand, but Wolf saw it and avoided it. It's all over youtube, was the talk of the tennis world and Kypson got suspended for a match.

Last edited:

Chongo94

He lost a really close match to J.J. Wolf at Ohio State and as they both approached the net for the congratulatory handshake, he hocked a lugie and spit in his hand, but Wolf saw it and avoided it. It's all over youtube, was the talk of the tennis world and Krypson got suspended for a match.

As well he should have!

Longfrog

In "worlds colliding" news, Kypson is currently trying to qualify for the Miami Masters this week, which is one of the biggest tournaments outside the majors. As it happens, so is Cam Norrie, and if they both win their matches today they will square off tomorrow.

Jared7

In "worlds colliding" news, Kypson is currently trying to qualify for the Miami Masters this week, which is one of the biggest tournaments outside the majors. As it happens, so is Cam Norrie, and if they both win their matches today they will square off tomorrow.
This is huge news! If Kypson beats Smyczek today, he won't be available in College Station tomorrow! And the Frogs' chances will be enhanced. And if Cam beats Kozlov, we could beat the lugie hocker and his team tomorrow! Both matches are just about to start.

Jared7

Actually, missing Kypson may not be as determinative as Columbia missing Pham was. He's missed several matches - his "deal" was that he could still play pro tourneys, so he's more like a mercenary or a "hired gun" for the Aggies. And they win with him or without him. The #6 Ags are 12-3 over the season, with W's over Arizona State, LSU (twice), Cal Poly, Tulsa, Tech, Florida, UNC, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Georgia and Notre Dame and have L's to only Ohio State, UCLA and OU. Without Kypson, they are led by #10 Arthur Rinderknech, #37 Jordi Arconada, #31 Valentin Vacherot and #109 Catanzariti. Kypson is 27th but that's because he doesn't play every match - his last match for A&M was against Georgia a week or so ago. All-time TCU is 38-19 against the Aggies; 15-11 in College Station. TCU has won 4 straight - the last two barely by 4-3 margins.

It'll be tough to win, but we are kind of hot.