• The KillerFrogs

TCU Super Regional

Pharm Frog

if not, he's pretty close to 100% I think. to me, he appears to have lost his feel for the strike zone and is chasing more than we've seen him over the season. hopefully some of that's been due to "questionable" umpiring behind the plate and with a more true zone, we'll see the hitter we've enjoyed all year.

I think he's at 100% or darn close. And even without as many hits or walks as we've seen this year, he saw a ton of pitches which was productive. I do think that Saturday strike zone made a lot of hitters on both sides frustrated and it should have.

Deep Purple

hopefully some of that's been due to "questionable" umpiring behind the plate and with a more true zone, we'll see the hitter we've enjoyed all year.
I do think that Saturday strike zone made a lot of hitters on both sides frustrated and it should have.
The plate umpires in both games of the super had a weird strike zone,but they were fairly consistent -- they called them weird on both teams. Once the ump has established his strike zone, you can react in one of two ways:
  1. You can man-up and try to adjust your hitting to the zone that is being called.
  2. You can whine and b!tch and moan about how the ump should be adjusting his zone to what your batters expect to see.
The Frogs did the former. The Bears did the latter, and we saw how much good it did them. All they accomplished was to irritate the plate ump at times.

But MSU came into the series pretty cocky and entitled in the first place -- which frankly surprised me. Didn't expect to see that at all.

f_399

But MSU came into the series pretty cocky and entitled in the first place -- which frankly surprised me. Didn't expect to see that at all.
They came in with a lot of confidence. When you look at TCU's 2017 stats, besides 1 or 2 players, it's not that intimidating.

If you just look at stats and not their schedules strength, there were some pretty impressive teams in Fort Worth for the regionals and super regionals.

It's like every other player was averaging over .300... then you look at TCU's lineup.

Deep Purple

They came in with a lot of confidence..
I expected them to come in confident. Why shouldn't they? They're a very good team.

What I didn't expect to see was all the jawing with the umpires and TCU players and the little tantrums here and there. That isn't confidence. That's cocky and entitled.

I think our pitchers have stepped it up due to Baker being out. Everyone has to step up their game a little to cover for the loss of Baker. I love how our hitters work pitchers and drive up pitch counts on the other teams. I get pissed when we take fastballs down the middle of the plate, but the walks are great.

If I was a fan for any other team I would be most scared playing TCU right now. We are hot and have been there done that in Omaha. Oregan State doesn't scare me TCU is the scary team!!!

PurplFrawg

Administrator
giphy.gif

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Just woke up to read the thread. Wasn't really sure it was KF.C. No carping about umps, baserunning, fielding, or relief pitching. Just a bunch of shiny happy people. Very fun.

So are we good now? Or average at best? I can't tell.
Medication kicked in,
Either that or LisaLT is handing out foot massages.
Again.

Paint It Purple

Nice to post after the series. If I'd have told you before that Wade would go 0-8 in the series (our only .300+ hitter) after watching this team flail around when we had been out of the lineup earlier this season, what would you have felt?

I guess I should have been more specific and said that we would have a realistic shot at winning when our pitching staff gives up a total of three runs in the series. Shut down pitching wins games and we got that. I thought we'd need five runs a game based on everything I'd seen this season (including what I'd seen from MSU). We didn't need anywhere close to that.
Nice to post after the series. If I'd have told you before that Wade would go 0-8 in the series (our only .300+ hitter) after watching this team flail around when we had been out of the lineup earlier this season, what would you have felt?

I guess I should have been more specific and said that we would have a realistic shot at winning when our pitching staff gives up a total of three runs in the series. Shut down pitching wins games and we got that. I thought we'd need five runs a game based on everything I'd seen this season (including what I'd seen from MSU). We didn't need anywhere close to that.

Direct me to your pre-series post where you warned that without a hot AW, we were hopelessly doomed. Ample evidence available for you to make such a prediction.