• The KillerFrogs

TCU Super Regional

LeagueCityFrog

Not that it matters, but MO State played Okie State once and KU twice and lost all three Tuesday night games against common opponents. It looked like all three games in their regional that they won were just barely wins and then the one lost.

froginmn

On the radio, Chuck L. (I think) said they'd beaten Dallas Baptist in their series this season.
This board has asked me to worry because CCSU would throw a junk balling lefty, because Virginia should have been a host if not a national seed, because DBU was hitting home runs like a beer league softball team, and now because MS swept DBU.

I'm ready to say that the board has under rated our home nine, and that the opposing fans are the ones who should be worrying.

pgdaly84

The team is gellin' at just the right time....Schloss knows what he's doing...

Just what I've been thinking. He's one of the highest paid coaches in the country for a reason. Traver and Janzcak being healthy has definitely helped them gel, but Schloss and Saarloos have done a great job getting Durbin through his struggles. He was nasty in the regional and looked to have his mojo back.

Kyle101011

Every time I see a team celebrate a natty I know our time is coming. OU just won that softball 'ship and June 27th or 28th I hope we are dog piling the pitchers mound. Have to win this super first though. Go frogs

CountryFrog

I've seen some people say that they think Missouri State is better than Virginia. They may be (I certainly wouldn't know) but I don't remember anyone saying they should've been hosting a regional the way just about everyone was saying about UVA last week. So did they really just become better than Virginia over the last 5 days?

tcuseagull

I've seen some people say that they think Missouri State is better than Virginia. They may be (I certainly wouldn't know) but I don't remember anyone saying they should've been hosting a regional the way just about everyone was saying about UVA last week. So did they really just become better than Virginia over the last 5 days?

It's a series we should win on paper, but this is college baseball in June. Anything can happen when both teams are in form and confident.

Pharm Frog

I think its clear that they were playing better than UVA last weekend. Some of that has to be because of what the competition did and didn't do to each team but it ain't about which team is best. It's about which team is playing best. Heck...even the Rangers may take a series from the Astros at some point. I haven't seen much of Missouri State (only a couple of times before the regional). i saw quite a bit of Virginia this season. Virginia looked like a better "team" to me. But they didn't look that way this past weekend.

flyfishingfrog

I think its clear that they were playing better than UVA last weekend. Some of that has to be because of what the competition did and didn't do to each team but it ain't about which team is best. It's about which team is playing best. Heck...even the Rangers may take a series from the Astros at some point. I haven't seen much of Missouri State (only a couple of times before the regional). i saw quite a bit of Virginia this season. Virginia looked like a better "team" to me. But they didn't look that way this past weekend.
Virginia's pitching depth killed them last weekend - imagine where we would be in we lost 2 of our 4 potential starters.

But to me the biggest surprise was how their two top end hitters didn't really perform this weekend - it was not just against us either. Neither really had a good weekend overall which was pretty unforeseen given that they had stepped in major pressure situations all season.

Hopefully, the same will be able to be said about MSU's big 2/3 after the Super Regional...

CountryFrog

It's a series we should win on paper, but this is college baseball in June. Anything can happen when both teams are in form and confident.
For sure, totally agree. I'm not saying we will beat them just because we beat Virginia. It just seems like one of those things where whatever you've done most recently is now driving the perception of who you are always and forever. They are both the exact same team that they were before the regionals began. We just haven't seen all of Missouri State's deficiencies up close and personal yet the way we have with Virginia.

One could say one is currently playing better than the other but even that is totally subjective because they didn't play in the same environments or against the same competition.

HoustonHornedFrog

Looking at the season statistics the two teams are very close. Here are some of the major stats with TCU listed first. Both teams have played 61 games so the stats shown as total numbers for the year are directly comparable.

Batting Average .272 to .278
OBP .379 to .393
HR 54 to 78
Stolen bases/caught 100/18 to 55/19
Sac bunts 2 to 28 (ok not what I'd really consider a major stat but had to throw it in there)
Runs per game 6.9 to 7.0
Runs allowed/game 4.70 to 4.26
ERA 4.07 to 3.72
Fielding % .974 to .975
WHIP 1.25 to 1.25
Winning % .738 to .705
SOS 29 to 106

But, I'm not sure how much team statistics for the whole year mean at this time of the year, unless your Oregon State who has been off the chart hot all year long.
This time of year its who is playing best right now. Whose best pitchers come through, who is healthy and who gets the clutch hit. With the way our starting pitching looked last weekend, I feel like we are moving in the right direction. Just have to stay away from a fiasco like the 9th inning in our first regional game.