• The KillerFrogs

TCU sprinter, Derrick Mokaleng, receives funding for invention which can help athletes

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Just in from the Track & Field office, this sounds fantastic, and I'm glad TCU is participating in these kinds of initiatives.

---

Derrick Mokaleng’s life has always revolved around running. At TCU, he’s taking his passion to a whole new level through the Neeley School of Business.

The standout TCU sprinter conceptualized SpikeShields, a shoe made for track athletes to minimize the stress caused by track spikes. Mokaleng, an entrepreneurial management major, received funding for his invention through CREATE.

“My goal is to make getting around the track less stressful for athletes,” Mokaleng said. “SpikeShields will help track athletes better walk and maneuver over harsh surfaces that damage the little spikes and put stress on athletes ankles, heels, shins and calves.”

CREATE is a cross-campus startup engine designed to get feasible ideas off the ground. It provides experience for both sides of a startup: building a feasible startup and investing money. Student entrepreneurs take advantage of workshops, mentors, advice, grants and legal assistance.

TCU students gather each semester to pitch their ideas for new products and services for Entrepreneurship and Innovation for funding and assistance through CREATE-Powered by the Shaddock Seed Fund.

“My mentor at the business school, Cedric James, has been a big help with my project and in helping me get the idea off the ground,” Mokaleng said. “This is something I’ve thought about for years since arriving at TCU. The experience from CREATE was great and the funds from the judges are amazing and very helpful.”

Mokaleng is known internationally for his speed. He recently garnered a silver medal at the 2019 African Games with the South African 4x400 team. The senior also competed at the 2019 IAAF World Championships in the 400m and 4x400 relay.

The South African native recorded the second fastest 600-yard run in collegiate history in January of 2018 (1:08.18). His time was just 0.02 seconds behind Vincent Crisp, the Texas Tech runner who set the collegiate 600 record. He then topped his own record at the 2019 Big 12 Indoor Championships, clocking in at 1:07.75 which remains amongst the top times in collegiate history.

Mokaleng also holds TCU’s outdoor 400m school record (45.02) and was the anchor leg of TCU’s 2018 indoor 4x400m school record relay team (3:04.25).

As Mokaleng awaits for a manufacturer to produce a working prototype and model, he’ll continue to be a paragon who proudly dons the purple and white of TCU and the green and gold of South Africa.