• The KillerFrogs

TCU @ OU Game Thread (Nov 23, 2019)

ThisIsOurTime

He is basically 2012/2013 Boykin. You could see Boykin had the potential to be great if he was given a better situation to work with and more experience. Same with Duggan.
Very true. He will keep getting better and better and cut out some of the mistakes we saw tonight with more experience. I am not worried about that. I just want to make sure we get the tools around him in receivers who can catch the ball consistently and make plays. I am hoping our recruiting will help us find a couple of inside receivers with a premium on hands over other metrics who can bolster our receiving corps.

We also need to do a better job of using our TEs. That is something that has to become a bigger part of our offense next year given that we have two veteran TEs who can catch better than our receivers. The off season should give us enough time to develop those formations and incorporate them into our offense.

I remember a few years ago they were talking about the idea of using three TEs like the Pats did. Well now they have a team where they can do that and should take full advantage. It may well be that it is easier for us to find another good pass catching TE over a quality inside receiver too.

Mean Purple

Really - who was the guy scrambling for 60 and getting horse-collared?

or carrying 5 OU defenders across the goal line while again being horse-collared?

I am starting to think we would be better off letting him call the plays
We are very lucky he is still standing. Good thing Max is such a tough kid.

Some assistants need to go.

Big Frog II

165 yards still isn’t great. I’m more concerned about the constant missing WRs on longer pass plays. He hasn’t improved on that all year and he’s basically a sophomore at this point in the season.

WRs will change throughout the next 4 years...Max is likely our guy...so he needs to figure that out or we are going to be an involuntary wishbone offense.
You are an idiot.

Wexahu

We were lucky to have Duggan. He kept us in it in spite of Cumbie's horrible play calling.

I don’t disagree, I think he was about the only reason the team didn’t completely fold down 21-0. But the fact that we’re gushing about our QB when he was 7-21 for 65 yards and a pick tells you all you need to know about the offense. We hardly have a passing game. Most of our best plays are QB runs, some of which are wild ass scrambles.

Mean Purple

I don’t disagree, I think he was about the only reason the team didn’t completely fold down 21-0. But the fact that we’re gushing about our QB when he was 7-21 for 65 yards and a pick tells you all you need to know about the offense. We hardly have a passing game. Most of our best plays are QB runs, some of which are wild ass scrambles.
Agree.

Pharm Frog

I think Cumbie is the only OC in the last 3 years that hasn’t figured out how to score on OU.

And this is what I believe to be the root of the problem. We say the offense doesn’t perform and blame the OC. We say the defense doesn’t perform well and blame GP. And one of them is the head coach. Just don’t see this type of extreme division as a winning formula plus I think it deprives us of a coaching position (the DC position) which would presumably be a mature, up and coming coach who might bring some innovation to the cause.

Mean Purple

So they make a bad call on the field and do it again in the box? Nope. Not buying it. Faaaaaaaaaaar and away more conclusive than anything that happened against Baylor
Folks don't want to admit how jacked up it has gotten. Way more than it was before the CFP era. Is it directly connected, who knows. But the [ Finebaum ] looks bad. It looks real scheissing bad.

Mean Purple

And this is what I believe to be the root of the problem. We say the offense doesn’t perform and blame the OC. We say the defense doesn’t perform well and blame GP. And one of them is the head coach. Just don’t see this type of extreme division as a winning formula plus I think it deprives us of a coaching position (the DC position) which would presumably be a mature, up and coming coach who might bring some innovation to the cause.
Our run game lacks creativity. Our pass game is a mess. The play calling makes not sense half the time. If Max was not an escape artist, we would have zero offensive points.

Cumbie needs to go.

JAB331

The bad spot is getting universally destroyed on Twitter FWIW.
I saw the refs getting destroyed, but not our team. Quite the contrary actually, people thought we were a tough team full of heart that got robbed. I'm in support of keeping all the coaches and adding a few new ones after watching this game. I felt both the O and D came to play, and Max is making progress because of the rapport he has with Sonny.

Pharm Frog

Our run game lacks creativity. Our pass game is a mess. The play calling makes not sense half the time. If Max was not an escape artist, we would have zero offensive points.

Cumbie needs to go.

I think a full program overhaul is in order IF (and only if) the school decides it wants to elevate into the CFP level. If we’re okay with being competitive in the Big 12 and maybe getting in the top two or three of the conference every few years then make some changes offensively and see what you can do with it.