• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2022-23

UltimateFrog

Without Pinnington, I don't think we're quite at the elite level. We're probably in the #6-10 range rankings wise. We're as good as anyone at doubles, which is huge. We've got to take the doubles points against top teams to have a chance. Our singles lineup is solid but we don't have a true ace at the top. Fearnley is playing there now and he has clearly raised his game to another level. If he can beat some top guys in the next few weeks, then I'll feel better about it. He should get a chance on Thursday vs. Monday (sorry) in Knoxville.

We should be very strong at #3 no matter who plays there. Right now that's Fomba, and that should be a win nearly every time indoors. In spots 4-6 we're capable but inconsistent.

If it all breaks right, we can beat anyone. The formula -- win doubles, #3 singles, and then find a couple of points elsewhere -- could work against anyone. But to win a major title you have to do it against elite teams several times over, and I think our margins are a little too thin.
My exact thoughts. This is the #1 team in the nation with Pinnington, probably closer to #5 without.

Decent chance Pinnington never plays for TCU. I watched him in his Challenger this week and he's really good. Barely got beat by the #106 player in the world and had chances, some thin margins even though sets looked lopsided.

Longfrog

Decent chance Pinnington never plays for TCU. I watched him in his Challenger this week and he's really good. Barely got beat by the #106 player in the world and had chances, some thin margins even though sets looked lopsided.
Yeah I saw some of that match. I can't make myself root against a Frog but I wasn't sad to see him lose. If he went on a run and actually won the thing it makes it even less likely he stays til next year. I'm skeptical but the Florida State guy (Chauvinc?) basically did a probationary year and now he's top 10 in the country. He's a little older though.

UltimateFrog

Yeah I saw some of that match. I can't make myself root against a Frog but I wasn't sad to see him lose. If he went on a run and actually won the thing it makes it even less likely he stays til next year. I'm skeptical but the Florida State guy (Chauvinc?) basically did a probationary year and now he's top 10 in the country. He's a little older though.

Unfortunately I assume he'll play 10-15+ tournaments before this time next year. Need his ranking to stay above 400, and especially above 300.

Longfrog

Fomba serving 4-2, 40-40 hits an ace that Mitsui calls out. Ump backs up the call and Roditi goes absolutlely ape [ Finebaum ]. I usually can't tell on playsight but that ball looked in. Fomba lost on his 2nd serve so that match back on serve.

Purp

Fomba serving 4-2, 40-40 hits an ace that Mitsui calls out. Ump backs up the call and Roditi goes absolutlely ape [ Finebaum ]. I usually can't tell on playsight but that ball looked in. Fomba lost on his 2nd serve so that match back on serve.
This is one thing I'll never understand about college tennis. I realize you can't afford to have line judges or the technology of the ATP tour to call lines, but it seems like there should be enough people around to assist the chair umpire with call farther away from him.

Longfrog

This is one thing I'll never understand about college tennis. I realize you can't afford to have line judges or the technology of the ATP tour to call lines, but it seems like there should be enough people around to assist the chair umpire with call farther away from him.
It's definitely a weird part of the game that your opponent gets first crack at calling your shot in or out.

Longfrog

Gorzny's got a weird game. He doesn't have a lot of confidence in the groundstrokes, esp. the forehand which he chips a lot. But the net game is fantastic. I don't think too many guys at #6 singles can expose his weaknesses.

Longfrog

Roditi was really into that Fomba match. He seemed to be chirping with the crowd a little too. Mitsui was match point down on his serve and hit a net cord winner, which sucked. But he did have break points at 5-5 when it ended, so he wasn't exactly saved by the bell. I think Roditi wanted that one badly for whatever reason.

Purp

Roditi was really into that Fomba match. He seemed to be chirping with the crowd a little too. Mitsui was match point down on his serve and hit a net cord winner, which sucked. But he did have break points at 5-5 when it ended, so he wasn't exactly saved by the bell. I think Roditi wanted that one badly for whatever reason.
I thought I saw Fomba up 6-5 in the 2nd and serving for the match. Was that not right?

Purp

A guy on the other site said his uncle is the coach in a comment about Pennington and that they would know in 4-5 days if he'll be able to play. Said they liked their chances. Implied that would be playing this spring the way I read it.

Any of you guys know anything about this?

Longfrog

A guy on the other site said his uncle is the coach in a comment about Pennington and that they would know in 4-5 days if he'll be able to play. Said they liked their chances. Implied that would be playing this spring the way I read it.

Any of you guys know anything about this?
Oh man don't tease me. It would be close but I think I'm with Ultimate... add Pinnington and we'd be the #1 team in the country.

Maybe others here have some inside info, but I don't know a durn thing.