• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2022-23

Longfrog

Jirousek is just too slow and his net play is pretty bad.
He's a great guy to bring off your bench but I don't think he can win consistently vs the top teams. Arimilli's also won 7 of his last 8 for UT, so he's a pretty tough matchup for anyone right now. Vives frustrates me when he's missing shots, but he's definitely got more firepower for when we play the better teams.

Mostly I think the blame yesterday falls on the seniors. Fomba and Jong had winnable matches and after losing the doubles point, we had to have them. Fomba didn't bother Bailly at all in Bailly's service games. I'd feel better with him at the #3 spot going forward.

Longfrog

It started with doubles. They should probably sit JPJ and reinsert Maxted. JPJ and Jong have lost twice in a row now and you have a top 10 team in the nation with Lui. I think you've also gotta move JPJ up to #2 singles after this. There's just no way Fomba is the better player outdoors. And I know you want to get Jirousek playing time, but that should be Vives' spot until he loses. Pedro was awesome vs Illinois.
They kept the doubles teams the same but flipped Jong/JPJ down to #3 and moved Gorzny/Vives back up to #2. They did make the 2 moves in singles, flipping JPJ and Fomba at #2/#3 and Vives in for Jirousek at #6.

Purp

As bad as Wednesday was, today was nearly perfect. 7-0 win against a top 10 team. Fearnley dominates one of the best players in the country. And Vives and JPJ had a couple of very gutty wins. Vives came back from a 1st set bagel and JPJ was down a set and 3-5 in the 2nd before coming back to win.

Great vibes all around.
JPJ seems to start very slowly every time out. Why has he struggled to transition to the college game so much?

Longfrog

JPJ seems to start very slowly every time out. Why has he struggled to transition to the college game so much?
I agree he's had some slow starts but he was up 4-1 in the 1st today. Makk was 9-1 this spring coming into this match so he's no slouch.

I don't think JPJ has the strongest serve so he's vulnerable there. But mostly I just think he's got some peaks and valleys to smooth out, like most 19yo's. When he's on he's as good as anyone at this level.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I agree he's had some slow starts but he was up 4-1 in the 1st today. Makk was 9-1 this spring coming into this match so he's no slouch.

I don't think JPJ has the strongest serve so he's vulnerable there. But mostly I just think he's got some peaks and valleys to smooth out, like most 19yo's. When he's on he's as good as anyone at this level.
Can’t wait to see how good he will be the next year or two if he sticks around.

Longfrog

Really ugly loss for Norrie in Miami, 3 & 2 to world #65 Barrere. He had a pretty nice draw too. Twitter was wondering if he's sick or injured but it seems a lot of that is just bitter people who lost money wagering on him.

Longfrog

This was as predicted. We're 1-1 with UT but they also lost 4-0 to OSU and have won a number of 4-3 matches vs middling competition. But scorelines don't matter, just Ws and Ls. They did beat us at our place so it's hard to get too upset. We'll have our shot to get even in Austin.

Regardless, it shows we've got a much smaller margin than last year if we want to get the #1 seed at ncaa's. Fortunately, this team is better than last year's.

Longfrog

Longfrog

4-0 Frogs. The doubles point took some effort but singles was a landslide. The Sooners only took 1 set and Gorzny & JPJ were seconds away from winning when we got our 4th point.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Men vs OSU started early this morning due to pending storms this afternoon. Playing singles first, oddly. In good shape all around so far.

Stats on gofrogs aren’t updating. I walked my dogs past the courts a few minutes ago. Frogs had won four of six first sets with two still in play.