• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2022-23

Longfrog

We won't be facing an overconfident team on Friday. Baylor has now lost 4 in a row, including tonight in Columbus. Ohio State is killing people at home, but even by their standards this was a remarkable beatdown. They took the doubles point in under 25 minutes, getting bagels on courts 2 & 3 (they were up on court 1 too). I'm having a hard time finding the singles scores right now but I think they took all 6 1st sets. The dual started at 6:00 and ended at 7:45.

Purp

We won't be facing an overconfident team on Friday. Baylor has now lost 4 in a row, including tonight in Columbus. Ohio State is killing people at home, but even by their standards this was a remarkable beatdown. They took the doubles point in under 25 minutes, getting bagels on courts 2 & 3 (they were up on court 1 too). I'm having a hard time finding the singles scores right now but I think they took all 6 1st sets. The dual started at 6:00 and ended at 7:45.
Dayum! Sounds like we need a Pepper-Hamilton investigation after that.

Longfrog

Dayum! Sounds like we need a Pepper-Hamilton investigation after that.
Here are the final scores from OSU's vantage point

Doubles (finished in 21 minutes per OSU)
#1: 4-2
#2: 6-0
#3: 6-0

Singles
#1: 6-2, 3-4
#2: 6-0, 6-3
#3: 6-4, 3-3
#4: 6-1, 6-4
#5: 6-4, 3-2
#6: 6-3, 6-0

So they won all 9 completed sets in singles, none of which required them to win more than 6 games. Oh yeah, and OSU was without their #1 singles player (Kingsley).

Longfrog

They play a super breaker for the 3rd, which Hijikata/Stalder win 10-6. If form holds they'll get #2 seeds Murray (#29) / Venus (#15) in the quarters.

UltimateFrog

Best story of the week is of Matija Pecotic, a 33 year old guy who retired from tennis many years ago and is now a Capital Markets director for a real estate investment firm. He still plays on the side and has kept his ranking near #800 in the world. He got into the Delray draw (somehow) and beat Jack Sock in round 1, moving his ranking 212 spots. He's playing his matches inbetween working hours.

UltimateFrog

Meanwhile, Norrie made the very interesting decision to forego defending his title in Delray Beach. He's in Buenos Aires where he's the 2 seed. I guess he wants to start the clay season earlier this year?

Looking like a terrible decision. Just lost the 1st set to some dude around #200 in the world and looks absolutely horrid.

UltimateFrog

Norrie barely squeaks out the 3rd set tiebreaker and moves on to the quarters. I did some digging and this is one of the slowest court surfaces of all ATP tournaments, and it looks it. With Norrie already being a light hitter, it's a drag for him to win points in less than 10 shots.

Longfrog

Norrie barely squeaks out the 3rd set tiebreaker and moves on to the quarters. I did some digging and this is one of the slowest court surfaces of all ATP tournaments, and it looks it. With Norrie already being a light hitter, it's a drag for him to win points in less than 10 shots.
Yeah 3 hours for a 3 set match is brutal

UltimateFrog

Stalder and partner just beat one of the top doubles teams in the world in 3 sets! Venus/Murray are a top 20 doubles team with both guys having won Grand Slam doubles titles.

Longfrog

Lineups are submitted for this weekend. The guys at Cracked Racquets said ours was

Fearnley
Fomba
Pinnington
Jong
Gorzny
Jirousek

I'm shaky on the rules, but I think the point of submitting the lineup is you can only move a guy up or down one spot. So the #6 position is kind of meaningless since you can play anyone who's unlisted there as well. I would expect Maxted since it's indoors but we'll see.

Interesting that Pinnington is bumped down to 3 after the loss to Baylor. I kind of like it though. Fomba is a beast indoors and this lineup looks very tough at 2 through 4. Combine that with the fact we're probably the best doubles team in the country and we've got a great shot.

Longfrog

Lineup for Baylor iirc was

Paroulek
Miladinovic
Bass
Velcz
Mazzuchi
Muza

Bass has been out injured so he's iffy. I would say the strength of their lineup is at 4/5. Paroulek's also very capable at 1. But we're big favorites at 2/3/6. If we win doubles, which we definitely should, we'll be in great shape.

Longfrog

Lui will play #6, rest of the lineup as submitted. Baylor has a freshman at #5 and moved Mazzuchi down to #6. Gorzny should win at 5 but that's probably a good gamble for them.