• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

JogginFrog

No schedule out yet, huh? We'll do what we can to bump up the '22-'23 Golf thread page count while you wait.

Tennis won by 97 pages in '21-'22 (although I'm tempted to count the 4 page Montigel-let-go thread in our column, which would make it only 93). Working to close that gap! Looking forward to another amazing year from TCU men's tennis!

Longfrog

No schedule out yet, huh?

Yeah I've been checking and still nothing. We'll get that 22-23 thread going once it's up.

I know we have some diehards in this thread but I will admit to being a fair weather fan. My interest wouldn't be what it is if we weren't a top 10 team and didn't have an alum in the top 10 on the ATP. That plus the other posters here make it fun.

And while golf isn't my thing, I wish the team nothing but success. May we go forth and conquer all the country club sports.

JogginFrog

May we go forth and conquer all the country club sports.
I always associate golf and tennis, because those were what the clubs in my hometown had. But a number of clubs and resorts offer shooting and equestrian, so it seems fair to lump those into the country-club sport category, in which case TCU is pretty close to conquering 3 out of 4 (although competitive shooting seems a ways removed from sporting clays).

It's not always fun monitoring the progress of a team that mostly lives outside the top tier, but I figure that if the fans aren't paying attention, there's little reason for the administration to do so. And TCU golf now has an alum who cracked the top 50 in the world rankings, "which is nice," in the words of Carl Spackler, of Bushwood CC.

FrogUltimate

Gray wins in three sets to make Quarters of the Challenger. In a very odd moment, when he was up triple match point, he began to get sick and a point or two later vomited everywhere. Ended up taking a medical, losing a couple points in a row and getting broken. He somehow broke the next game to pull it out. After the last point he chucked his racket across the court, would of thought he lost. He's up to #246 in the world. He gets Hoang Ly next (#328). No seeded players left in his side of draw, definitely a good opportunity to add points.

Longfrog

Gray wins in three sets to make Quarters of the Challenger. In a very odd moment, when he was up triple match point, he began to get sick and a point or two later vomited everywhere. Ended up taking a medical, losing a couple points in a row and getting broken. He somehow broke the next game to pull it out. After the last point he chucked his racket across the court, would of thought he lost. He's up to #246 in the world. He gets Hoang Ly next (#328). No seeded players left in his side of draw, definitely a good opportunity to add points.

Looks like he has tomorrow off fortunately. What's the Thai version of Montezuma's Revenge?

FrogUltimate

US Open draw is out. Djokovic withdrew as expected.

Norrie is the #7 seed. His draw his pretty good, not great in my opinion. First round gets Paire which should be pretty straight forward. Second round may get difficult as he will probably get McDonald, who will have very strong crowd support and plays really well on hard courts. He will likely pick up either Isner or Rune (kid he just beat in tight 3 setter in Cincy) in 3rd round and then Shapo or Rublev in 4th round. If he makes Quarters it's probably Nadal (#2 seed). Semis seems likely to be Alcaraz (maybe Hurkacz #8).

I'll call my shot and say quarters will be #1 Meddy vs #6 FAA, #13 Berrettini vs #10 Fritz, #11 Sinner vs #3 Alcaraz and #7 Norrie vs #2 Nadal.
Semis #6 FAA vs #10 Fritz and #3 Alcaraz vs #2 Nadal. Champion is #3 Alcaraz beating #6 FAA

Longfrog

Norrie wins over Paire 0 6 & 0. Not sure if that counts as a double bagel or not. He'll play the winner of a match that just started the 4th set and is 3 hours old, so he should definitely be the fresher player.

Purp

Norrie is the #7 seed. His draw his pretty good, not great in my opinion. First round gets Paire which should be pretty straight forward. Second round may get difficult as he will probably get McDonald, who will have very strong crowd support and plays really well on hard courts. He will likely pick up either Isner or Rune (kid he just beat in tight 3 setter in Cincy) in 3rd round and then Shapo or Rublev in 4th round. If he makes Quarters it's probably Nadal (#2 seed). Semis seems likely to be Alcaraz (maybe Hurkacz #8).

I'll call my shot and say quarters will be #1 Meddy vs #6 FAA, #13 Berrettini vs #10 Fritz, #11 Sinner vs #3 Alcaraz and #7 Norrie vs #2 Nadal.
Semis #6 FAA vs #10 Fritz and #3 Alcaraz vs #2 Nadal. Champion is #3 Alcaraz beating #6 FAA
So to the Tsitsipas and Fritz upsets last night change your predictions at all? Obviously Fritz is out, but does a 4 seed going out in the first round maybe make the draw easier for someone else to get the the quarters on that side?

FrogUltimate

Norrie wins over Paire 0 6 & 0. Not sure if that counts as a double bagel or not. He'll play the winner of a match that just started the 4th set and is 3 hours old, so he should definitely be the fresher player.

Sousa knocks off McDonald there. Probably a good thing for Norrie, although Norrie has historically destroyed McDonald. Although Norrie is also 2-0 against Sousa in relatively clean wins. But at least Norrie won't be facing the crowd also.

FrogUltimate

So to the Tsitsipas and Fritz upsets last night change your predictions at all? Obviously Fritz is out, but does a 4 seed going out in the first round maybe make the draw easier for someone else to get the the quarters on that side?

Fritz is an absolute shocker... he was playing easily top 10 tennis the past few months, top 5 maybe. Lost to a guy ranked like #300. Opens the draw for Ruud to cruise.

I was already projecting Berrettini to beat Tsitsipas, so no change there. Probably like Ruud getting to semis vs FAA. Although I'm maybe feeling better about Meddy again.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

You spelled Norrie US Open Champion wrong.

Purp

I dozed off after Sock won the first 2 sets. Woke up with the TV still on and Collins is about to beat Osaka. Trying to find the Sock score and see he lost the 3rd set 6-love and retired. Can't find an article explaining why. What happened? He looked really darning impressive through 2 sets. Was sweating like a cold drink on a hot day, though. Was it heat exhaustion and/or cramps?

FrogUltimate

I dozed off after Sock won the first 2 sets. Woke up with the TV still on and Collins is about to beat Osaka. Trying to find the Sock score and see he lost the 3rd set 6-love and retired. Can't find an article explaining why. What happened? He looked really darning impressive through 2 sets. Was sweating like a cold drink on a hot day, though. Was it heat exhaustion and/or cramps?

Back injury

Purp

Back injury
That sucks. He looked to have potential to be a real troublesome guy deeper in the draw. He's a real heavy hitter with impressive finesse shots to compliment his power. Schwartzman didn't have an answer. What's the story on Sock? He doesn't look like a flash in the pan type unless he just struggles with consistency.

FrogUltimate

That sucks. He looked to have potential to be a real troublesome guy deeper in the draw. He's a real heavy hitter with impressive finesse shots to compliment his power. Schwartzman didn't have an answer. What's the story on Sock? He doesn't look like a flash in the pan type unless he just struggles with consistency.
He's been around for a long time.... former top 10. Always been a little iffy on conditioning and staying healthy. Lost motivation a few years ago. Been working back at it the past 1-2 years, had a ton of success in doubles, finally finding his singles game again.

His game is so quirky and his technique is so bad it's no surprise he's had issues.

Longfrog

Gorzny is playing doubles in the main draw with Michelsen right now. Up against the #13 seeds, a couple of Colombian guys in their mid-30s. G&M have started well, Gorzny especially. He's already hit several volley winners and hit a return winner right through the net guy. I'm sure quality will win out in the end, but they're competing well and don't look scared at all.