• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

FrogUltimate

In pro Frogs - Gray lost in 2R of Surbiton challenger in the UK on grass. I watched the second set and he didn't play his best, although he got beat by a guy #115 in world, so a really solid player.

Rybakov is in quarters of a Futures in Spain on clay.

Jared7

Hey, guys -- and especially Jared -- I'm not a tennis fan at all, but I do find enjoyment in reading the tennis thread on this forum.

You each cogently report information, explain things (like the scholarship thingy a page or two back) and don't half-fill the thread with a bunch of whiney-azz bellyachin'. Maybe someday I'll be a tennis fan...who knows...I mean, you've already gotten me to the point of admitting there ARE interesting sports beyond football and bullriding!

Hang in there, fellas...you do a good job reppin' TCU tennis!
Thanks. I've been away for a few weeks with major life stuff (job change; moving; computer crash), but I'm glad to see that others continue to contribute to the thread. Losing to Kentucky in the quarters was somewhat disappointing - but making it that far is sort of what is expected of TCU and we met expectations. And even exceeded them with the Indoor Championship and being the top seed. So it was a good season. Only one team - Virginia (again) finishes with a W. I wouldn't call it great though - we need to win the whole dang thing sometime. And we're poised to lose only Aguilar and Ruehl and should be good again next year. (That all depends on whether anyone else leaves, but we'll see).

Hopefully, once I'm settled in July some time, I'll get back to my usual TCU tennis obsession and do daily stuff.

FrogUltimate

Thanks. I've been away for a few weeks with major life stuff (job change; moving; computer crash), but I'm glad to see that others continue to contribute to the thread. Losing to Kentucky in the quarters was somewhat disappointing - but making it that far is sort of what is expected of TCU and we met expectations. And even exceeded them with the Indoor Championship and being the top seed. So it was a good season. Only one team - Virginia (again) finishes with a W. I wouldn't call it great though - we need to win the whole dang thing sometime. And we're poised to lose only Aguilar and Ruehl and should be good again next year. (That all depends on whether anyone else leaves, but we'll see).

Hopefully, once I'm settled in July some time, I'll get back to my usual TCU tennis obsession and do daily stuff.
Good luck with the life changes! Missed you on this thread.... can't leave me with that Longfrog guy for too long.

UCF and BYU have tennis. Houston does not. Cincinatti appears to be a club sport.

I assume BYU uses high-altitude balls at home, which I read helps normalize bounce and distance to some imperfect degree, but I wonder about topspin. I wonder if the high elevation hinders BYU recruiting.

This year MLB uses humidors at all parks to normalize how the ball plays, which seems like overkill. I wonder how many balls MLB uses in a year—I think a ball that touches the ground or bat is discarded, sheesh.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
UCF and BYU have tennis. Houston does not. Cincinatti appears to be a club sport.

I assume BYU uses high-altitude balls at home, which I read helps normalize bounce and distance to some imperfect degree, but I wonder about topspin. I wonder if the high elevation hinders BYU recruiting.

This year MLB uses humidors at all parks to normalize how the ball plays, which seems like overkill. I wonder how many balls MLB uses in a year—I think a ball that touches the ground or bat is discarded, sheesh.
The older I get the more I have low altitude balls. High altitude balls are a young man’s game.

Purp

The older I get the more I have low altitude balls. High altitude balls are a young man’s game.
Reminds me of my dad's Uncle Bob. He was a Jonathan Winters clone. Looked like him. Sounded like him. Same mannerisms. Same humor.

One day we were at my grandpa's house chewing the fat after dinner and Uncle Bob interjects in the conversation. We all assume he's going to say something germane to the conversation, but he's not even in the same stratosphere. Just completely interrupts with a totally random and hilarious quip.

"You know... when I was a young man I used to have to push it down every morning to keep from pissing in my face. Now... I have to hold it up to keep from pissing in my house shoes."

Last edited:

Longfrog

Not a bad draw for next year. As is always the case with this event -- where the top 16 teams host and then the non-hosts get to pick their sites -- it's very evident who the pack sees as vulnerable. This year that appears to include Baylor, which drew #19 San Diego and #22 Florida State. Not too surprising since they lose Soto and Lah and, most likely, Boitan if he turns pro. That could change if they get some quality transfers.

JogginFrog

Not a bad draw for next year. As is always the case with this event -- where the top 16 teams host and then the non-hosts get to pick their sites -- it's very evident who the pack sees as vulnerable. This year that appears to include Baylor, which drew #19 San Diego and #22 Florida State. Not too surprising since they lose Soto and Lah and, most likely, Boitan if he turns pro. That could change if they get some quality transfers.

And Wake also seen as vulnerable--they get #20 MTSU, #21 Duke and #23 Auburn.

Longfrog

TCU will have 2 players in the main draw at Wimbledon. Gray gets a wild card into both singles and doubles. Meanwhile, Norrie is into the quarters at Eastbourne. He’s the top seed there and I think he’s still undefeated all time as a #1 seed.

Longfrog

Norrie loses 5 & 5 to Cressy. Maybe i jinxed him. Only won 26% of his return points.

Several players dropped out of the Wimbledon boys' tournament. That made room for Gorzny, who's now in the main draw. I assume he'll play it, since he's also scheduled to play Roehampton next week.

FrogUltimate

Rybakov is into the quarters in the Oerias challenger and up to a career high ranking #308 or around there.

Good for Gray getting a Wimbledon wildcard. Almost certainly get paired with someone really good and will get smoked, but a great opportunity nonetheless. Edit: no points at Wimbledon this year so pretty meaningless from that potential. But still a good opportunity to play a highly ranked player on a huge court.

Longfrog

Norrie draw looks decent. Spaniards/ S Americans in 1st 2 rounds, then Dimitrov potentially. Gray gets world #93 Tseng. He’s only 20, was former #1 ranked junior and won Wimbledon juniors over Draper in 2018. But he’s only 5’9’’ so I don’t imagine grass is his favorite surface.

Longfrog

Norrie with a straight set win. Had 3 chances to end it on Andujar's serve, failed to convert, then the rain came at deuce. Came back out, warmed up all over again, and won the game and match on his 4th match point. Gray plays tomorrow.