• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Longfrog

Last month wasn't there a Russian player who got on the podium right next to a Ukrainian player and proceeded to wear the letter Z in full support of the war. That was not good. So Russian athletes have given a bad example, so I do not blame them for not wanting to have something like that happen in tennis. Plus I also agree with the corporate sponsors. If a Russian won with their company logo in the spotlight as if supporting them, their global sales will drop.

Sucks for the sport, but it has already been shown that the politics cannot be separated out. Plus, without sponsors, there is not much of a major sport.
I assume you're talking about the gymnast? It seems a little weird to punish every Russian athlete who competes internationally because of one jackass. Plus--and I rarely get to say this--tennis is a much higher profile sport. If someone capable of winning multiple matches at Wimbledon was likely to do something similar, it would probably be known by now. They all keep social media profiles and have been talking to the media every week since it happened. Rublev has already come out against the war. If a player actually does something that warrants punishment, you can always punish them after the fact.

I agree the sponsors could make it difficult, which is why I speculated that it was the root of the issue. But this seems really short sighted. In pretty much every sport, organizers face some tension between pleasing fans, athletes, and sponsors. But this seems extremely unfair to the athletes, not good at all for the fans, and for what? To spare the sponsors from a 1 in a 1000 chance of getting embarrassed?

Longfrog

Tour response:

"We believe that today’s unilateral decision by Wimbledon and the LTA to exclude players from Russia and Belarus from this year’s British grass-court swing is unfair and has the potential to set a damaging precedent for the game. Discrimination based on nationality also constitutes a violation of our agreement with Wimbledon that states that player entry is based solely on ATP Rankings. Any course of action in response to this decision will now be assessed in consultation with our Board and Member councils."

Endless Purple

I assume you're talking about the gymnast? It seems a little weird to punish every Russian athlete who competes internationally because of one jackass. Plus--and I rarely get to say this--tennis is a much higher profile sport. If someone capable of winning multiple matches at Wimbledon was likely to do something similar, it would probably be known by now. They all keep social media profiles and have been talking to the media every week since it happened. Rublev has already come out against the war. If a player actually does something that warrants punishment, you can always punish them after the fact.

I agree the sponsors could make it difficult, which is why I speculated that it was the root of the issue. But this seems really short sighted. In pretty much every sport, organizers face some tension between pleasing fans, athletes, and sponsors. But this seems extremely unfair to the athletes, not good at all for the fans, and for what? To spare the sponsors from a 1 in a 1000 chance of getting embarrassed?
Can see your perspective. From Tennis' viewpoint let them play. If I was a corporate sponsor, I would be fully against it from a marketing perspective.

I don't remember the sport, just that a Russian athlete was entirely out of line both in public and especially in a sporting event. That is the marketing impact aspect I would worry about as a sponsor.

Jared7

Cam Norrie's Round of 16 opponent in Barcelona will be Marton Fucsovics,a Hungarian player with an ATP ranking of #53. Cam is 3-0 all-time against Fucsovics.

Last edited:

SuperTFrog

I know I am in the minority, but every action that may cumulatively lead to an end of the war is worth it. I know it may not make a difference but a thousand cuts may make make them bleed a bit…now back to tennis and how awesome TCU is!

Last edited:

Jared7

I know I am in the minority, but every action that may cumulatively lead to an end of the war is worth it. I know it may not make a difference but a thousand cuts make make them bleed a bit…now back to tennis and how awesome TCU is!
Well, my view is that it would be appropriate to ban Russia from the Davis Cup and all other national team competitions in tennis but not to exclude individual players on the basis of nationality from tour events. Slams like Wimbledon aren't exactly regular ATP tour tourneys - they have agreements with the ATP - and that's what the agreements say. The Ukrainians are supposedly fighting for values like the ability to earn a living, equality of opportunity regardless of nationality and the rule of law. We should exemplify those values in deciding how to deal with Russian aggression.

FrogUltimate

Well, my view is that it would be appropriate to ban Russia from the Davis Cup and all other national team competitions in tennis but not to exclude individual players on the basis of nationality from tour events. Slams like Wimbledon aren't exactly regular ATP tour tourneys - they have agreements with the ATP - and that's what the agreements say. The Ukrainians are supposedly fighting for values like the ability to earn a living, equality of opportunity regardless of nationality and the rule of law. We should exemplify those values in deciding how to deal with Russian aggression.
I'm in complete agreement with this.

Jared7

Here are the final ITA rankings prior to the conference tourneys (which are already underway). TCU remains on top, is projected to continue on top, and is thus the likely top seed. Assuming that the NCAA selection committee does what it usually does, which is to follow the rankings, with only minor adjustments. As speculated above, I am somewhat fearful that they might not, given the near-universal disregard for the Frogs reflected by the "experts" at CR, CTR and in the USTA poll. Other things to focus on are the battle for the Top 8, the Top 16 and the eligibility cut-off line (currently projected to be 44 by CTR). And TCU's likely regional visitors (#32 and #33).

1. TCU
2. Ohio State (W)
3. Florida (W)
4. Baylor (W; L)
5. Tennessee (W; L)
6. Virginia (W; W)
7. Wake Forest
8. Michigan (L)
9. South Carolina
10. Kentucky
11. Georgia
12. Texas (W; W)
13. USC
14. Harvard
15. Arizona
16. Stanford
17. North Carolina
18. Middle Tennessee State
19. San Diego
20. NC State
21. A&M
22. Duke
23. Louisville
24. Pepperdine
25. Columbia
26. SMU (W)
31. Mississippi (W)
32. Florida State
33. Utah
34. Mississippi State (W)
37. Tulsa (W)
38. Tech (W)
40. Oklahoma (W)
41. USF (W)
46. UCLA (W)
52. Illinois (W)
54. Oklahoma State (W)
74. Tulane (W)

Will there be upsets in the SEC? A TCU-Baylor re-match? Will Ohio State cruise?

Jared7

The TCU women's team lost 4-2 to KState on the opening day of the combined men's and women's tourneys.

Sander Jong was named the Big12 Player of the Week.

Last edited:

MBAFrog91

The TCU women's team lost 4-2 to KState on the opening day of the combined men's and women's tourneys.

Sander Jong was named the Big12 Player of the Week.
Time for a coaching change on the women‘s side. Current coach has been here since 2014. 2017 was the last time the team made NCAA tournament. It was also the last year any individuals made the tourney. Finished 8th in conference this year, 7th in 2021, 6th in 2019, 8th in 2018, and 5th in 2017.

Longfrog

Norrie just played a 36-point game. Finally won it on his 7th break point opportunity to square the set at 5-5.

They're saying it lasted 27 minutes and that Norrie won it on a net cord, which seems pretty cruel. De Minaur apparently won 4 straight games while that game was in progress.

Last edited:

East Coast

Tier 1
I don't want to go down the rabbit hole as this is a great thread, but I just can't see this as anything other than total BS. Go ahead and mark a giant asterisk next to Wimbledon. Not to mention all the points those players will lose without ability to replace them is nonsense.

Medvedev and Rublev will lose round of 16 points. Sabalenka will lose a semifinal!

This article is probably most likely reason:
Fears over the prospect of Daniil Medvedev winning Wimbledon and parading one of sport’s most prestigious trophies on Centre Court alongside members of the Royal family has been a prominent consideration in the decision to ban Russian players from this year’s Championships.
As long as the UK government hasn't placed them on their sanctions list, I think they should play.

FrogUltimate

If Norrie can ever hit that inside out forehand to the deuce side of the court consistently, he could be top 5.

He slithers back from the Fuscovics serving for the set and breaks him and then holds to get to 6-5. Repeat of set 1?

FrogUltimate

Norrie loses 2nd set. Sigh. Had a match point and Fucsovics rolled over a 2nd serve to his forehand and Norrie barely hit the ball back... landed halfway into the service box and Fucsovics hit a backhand winner.

Jared7

I watched the Cracked Racquets podcast so you won't have to. It was marginally better regarding the Frogs - they've moved us up to 3rd behind Florida and Ohio State and they even did a segment on us which was somewhat complimentary. They're confused by our line-up and are unsure who's going to be slotted for the NCAA's. They said they haven't covered us this season because we've been cruising. Gruskin read some stats and Stachowiak and Halioris agreed that we were "top tier." But all of them fully expect Florida to repeat as champions and that "we're going to be talking about this era in Florida tennis forever." They think it's so obvious that Florida is going to win that they're already speculating that there will be a mass exodus from the team after back-to-back titles because they'll have "nothing more to prove." And they equally think that Ohio State having lost only 2 points all season at home (1 to Xavier and 1 to Michigan) is the most impressive stat ever and can never be topped. The fact that TCU owns W's over both Florida and the Buckeyes went unmentioned.

They also did a segment on the Big 12 tourney which they treated as a joke. Stachowiak made an off-the-wall prediction that OU was going to win - his argument was to loudly state the name of the Sooners' players enthusiastically, and Gruskin thought it was so funny that he went with the prediction too and they chortled amongst themselves for 5 minutes or so. Halioris, who is not a TCU defender but was forced into the role, finally said that they were being ridiculous and that TCU was the favorite and that it'll probably be TCU-Baylor in the finals. The others finally stopped giggling and disdainfully agreed.