• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Jared7

Yeah, the doubles line-up was Fomba/Fearnley and Jong/Maxted, so we forfeited one match but still took the point by winning both. And the singles line-up is Fomba, Jong, Jirousek, Maxted and Fearnley and we're up a set on all 5 courts. Nice tune-up, but we play Florida on Saturday and I hope it's not with just 5 players. Vives, Ruehl and Aguilar are all apparently out... (Although, maybe, with just 5 courts, we'll see one of them in singles after the first match is over).

Jong takes it 2 and a bagel. If there's a 6th player, we'll find out now. Nope 2-1 TCU, so #6 singles was definitely a forfeit.

Fomba takes his 2 and a bagel, so 3-1 now.

And Fearnley clinches it love and 1, so the Frogs win! They'll play the others out tonight for the experience.

Last edited:

Jared7

Well, it ended 6-1, we didn't drop a set and the only L was due to a forfeit. Nonetheless, confidence v. #1 Florida in 2 days is extremely low given that we only have 5 healthy-enough players to actually play. I'd say we're 1-0. but about to be 1-1.

Jared7

Oh, and the Djocovid situation is getting weirder. It turns out that the statements he made on his visa application were erroneous (i.e., lies) when he stated that he hadn't traveled in the 2 weeks prior to arrival down under - he's blaming his entourage. And he even broke the COVID rules in Serbia while positive a few months ago by flying away to give live interviews. So, he's not only facing a possible denial of his visa (again) in Aussieland but also possible criminal sanctions in Serbia (fines or jail). I'm guessing neither will happen and that he'll not only play in Melbourne but skate on the supposed charges...

FrogUltimate

Gray just won his match. Very tight 3 setter. I watched the last set and Gray is definitely a go for broke type of player… he doesn’t even really have a second serve, just two first

Jared7

Gray just won his match. Very tight 3 setter. I watched the last set and Gray is definitely a go for broke type of player… he doesn’t even really have a second serve, just two first
Yep, that's the Ali that Frog fans know well - he's developing into the tall big server that typifies the pro tour these days. So he's into the quarters at Bath where he'll play the winner between Jan Choinski and Phoenix Weir, both Brits.

Jared7

So, Norrie is the 12-seed in Melbourne, facing Sebastian Korda I Round 1. Thoughts on his draw and chances down the line?
Korda's a tough first round opponent. He's the 2nd highest ranked American, the son of two pro tennis players and very tennis savvy. He had a good 2021 and moved up the rankings well. He's not as tall nor does he have the huge first serve that sometimes gives Cam trouble, but he's very consistent (kind of like Norrie). You'd think the 12th seed would get a qualifier or someone easier in the first round. If he can get by Korda, though, the draw opens up a little for him until Round 4. My concern about Norrie is whether he'll be sufficiently recovered from COVID and whether he can deal with all the Djoker-mania that has taken over Australia.:)

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

Looking at overall draw and the bottom half is definitely friendlier where Medvedev is the #2 seed. He would probably be my favorite just based on draw quality.

Top half has #1 Djokovic (maybe), #7 Berrettini who should be tough on this surface, #3 Zverev who is playing about as good as Djoker and Medvedev, #10 Hurkacz who is improving quickly and #6 Nadal to top it off.

Jared7

The gofrogs preview article for #1 Florida is not up as yet, but we might as well begin looking forward to tomorrow's (not Saturday as I think I said above) huge match. The Gators are the defending national champion and were the unanimous selection as the ITA's preseason #1 team this season. They are also the (nearly) unanimous selection as the SEC favorite (with #3 Tennessee, our next opponent, a distant second). Based on a dominant fall season, they have 5 ranked singles players and 4 ranked doubles teams, including #2 Ben Shelton (the coach's son), #61 Mattias Simar, #79 Nate Bonetto, #107 Andy Andrade and #111 Josh Goodger. Not to mention the defending singles NCAA champ Sam Riffice, who isn't ranked merely because he mostly played pro tourneys in the fall, but who I'm pretty sure is returning. They had 68 singles W's and 23 doubles W's this fall, which is amazing because there really aren't that many opportunities to play in the fall purely at the college level. They walloped us 7-0 last year in Gainesville and it wasn't that close (and we were a NCAA quarterfinalist). Needless to say, they are really really good. We're 3-4 against them all-time. This will be their season opener - they'll be playing Texas on Sunday in Austin. Getting a tune-up against UTRGV was a good idea, so maybe that'll give us an edge (in addition to playing at home). But we're COVID-depleted and only had 5 players yesterday. Confidence is low. But if you want to see good college tennis, it's tomorrow night at 6:00 p.m. at the tennis center (indoors). They're going to take one court out and allow fans to spread out at court level to watch. They'll be free food (as always).

Last edited:

Jared7

Baylor is the preseason favorite for the men's tennis crown this season as voted by the Coaches. They received 23 points and 3 first place votes (a coach couldn't vote for his own team) and TCU is 2nd with 21 total points and 2 first place votes. Texas is 3rd; followed by OU, tech and Oklahoma State.

Fomba and Aguilar are the only Frogs with career W's against Florida. Luc is 1-1 in singles and Aguilar (while playing for A&M) is 3-3 in singles and 6-1 in doubles. It'd be really cool if Juan Carlos is healthy enough to play tomorrow.

Jared7

Even though there remains no KFC countdown clock for the highly anticipated match between #5 TCU and #1 Florida tonight at the tennis center, the excitement is nonetheless reaching a fever pitch. The Aussie government responded today by revoking Djoker's visa for a 2nd time and setting a key immigration hearing date for tomorrow; just a day or so before the tourney starts on Sunday, where everyone is eagerly awaiting the Norrie v. Korda battle. How that will affect the Frogs remains undetermined.

Longfrog

Felt like we had to have dubs to have a chance. Path to 4 seems like it would be wins on 5 & 6 and either 3 or 4. Winning either 1 or 2 would be a huge upset but Fomba and Aguilar can both go hot and cold so you never know.

Longfrog

An early reminder to anyone listening that I have no idea what I'm talking about, as Fomba and Aguilar both win in straights. I would say this will probably be the only time all season that Riffice and Shelton both go down in straight sets, but my predictions aren't worth much apparently.

Looking like either Maxted or Fearnley will need to win to get us to four though.

Longfrog

Whoa, stattracker said Vale won the 2nd set breaker to take the match vs Jong. Now that's been reversed and Jong's up 1-0 in the 3rd.