• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

FrogUltimate

Not looking good for Norrie. Down 3-5 in the 3rd. Can't get anywhere close to touching Ruud's serve

Norrie loses 4-6 in 3rd.

He's had a few matches like this where his return of serve just falls off the map, even against guys with less than great serves. Whatever Ruud did starting in set 2 totally threw Norrie off, not sure he had a single break point in the 2nd or 3rd set. The good news is that Ruud is like #7 in the world (or should be with real rankings), so it's a pretty good player.

Last edited:

Jared7

Casper Ruud appears to have Cam's number. It's good that Norrie actually made the ATP Finals although as the 2nd alternate midway through the tourney, it's not exactly like he qualified the normal way. It'll be a good experience for him and essentially means that he's Top 10 in the world. For a TCU alum to be that good is really quite something - I thought he was going to have a good career coming out of school, but I'll admit that I never expected him to be this good.

Cam will get one more match in Turin - he'll face world #1 and GOAT candidate Novak Djokovic tomorrow for the first time ever.

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

Casper Ruud appears to have Cam's number. It's good that Norrie actually made the ATP Finals although as the 2nd alternate midway through the tourney, it's not exactly like he qualified the normal way. It'll be a good experience for him and essentially means that he's Top 10 in the world. For a TCU alum to be that good is really quite something - I thought he was going to have a good career coming out of school, but I'll admit that I never expected him to be this good.

Cam will get one more match in Turin - he'll face world #1 and GOAT candidate Novak Djokovic tomorrow for the first time ever.

If I went back to my predictions for Norrie it would be hilarious. I think my original prediction was that I could see him hanging around #100 in the world if he makes significant improvements to his forehand and serve. He's blown through that. Now I'm annoyed when he loses a tight 3 setter to a top 10 player.

Jared7

Alastair Gray lost to Michael Zhu this morning at Heraklion 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 3-6 so he's out at his 2nd Greek tourney - 2 more upcoming. Norrie v. Djoker will be tomorrow. Norrie has played Nadal 3 times this year, Federer once and this is his first against Djokovic.

FrogUltimate

Alastair Gray lost to Michael Zhu this morning at Heraklion 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 3-6 so he's out at his 2nd Greek tourney - 2 more upcoming. Norrie v. Djoker will be tomorrow. Norrie has played Nadal 3 times this year, Federer once and this is his first against Djokovic.
Do you know anticipated time?

FrogUltimate

I don't want to drag this thread too far off-topic since it's centered on TCU tennis related, but man, the news with Peng of China is insane.

Former multi-Grand Slam champ in doubles has gone missing after publicly releasing allegations against a top Chinese official. WTA and other organizations calling out China and trying to figure out where she is.

Jared7

I don't want to drag this thread too far off-topic since it's centered on TCU tennis related, but man, the news with Peng of China is insane.

Former multi-Grand Slam champ in doubles has gone missing after publicly releasing allegations against a top Chinese official. WTA and other organizations calling out China and trying to figure out where she is.
It's certainly a serious issue and, if it continues to go unaddressed (it's been nearly 3 weeks), could have major Olympic and women's tennis ramifications. Peng Shuai is a 3-time Olympian and is a successful women's pro and she's been disappeared after making sexual assault allegations against Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli. The WTA Finals in Shenzhen could be moved; an Olympic boycott could happen and major planned WTA investments in China could be stopped. We'll see.

In Turin, Norrie is getting ready to play his first-ever match against a world #1. He's certainly not favored, but because Djoker has already clinched a semis appearance, an upset is definitely possible if Cam plays well.

Jared7

The greatest tennis Frog of all time v. the all-time GOAT and world #1 is about to start. TCU and Cam getting major props from Roddick and Courier on the Tennis Channel!

Jared7

Alastair Gray remains in Heraklion and his first round opponent in his 3rd straight tourney there will be Karl Friberg, a 22-year-old Swede, with an ATP ranking of #817and a CH of #632.

Cam Norrie, fresh off laying an egg in his first ever match against Djokovic at the ATP Finals at Turin, is prepping for the Davis Cup finals (in the new format, 16 teams remain and will face each other in knockout rounds starting this week in Europe).

Nick Chappell is in Puerto Vallarta and will open against Michael Mmoh tomorrow in the first round of the main draw. Gerardo Lopez Villasenor (or Jerry Lopez if you prefer English) is also there and will face Matias Franco Decotte tomorrow as well.

Alex Rybakov (apparently) will continue to take time off - now approaching 2 months.

Jared7

At Puerto Vallarta, Alex Rybakov is indeed there (ending his 6-week layoff) and he got a walkover today after leading Juan Alejandro Hernadez Serrano 7-5, 4-all, so he's into the Round of 16. Gerardo Lopez Villasenor, however, lost in 3 sets (7-6 (7-2), 5-7, love-6) to Matias Franco Descotte, so he's out. Nick Chappell also lost - 2 and 3 - to Mmoh. So Rybo remains alive on the playas del sol.

At Heraklion, Alastair Gray beat Friberg 6-2, 7-5 and has advanced to the 2nd round. Not sure who he's got next.

Jared7

I got it wrong yesterday - it was Rybo that lost in a walkover despite the fact that he was leading up a set at the Puerto Vallarta Challenger. So all Frogs are out there.

Gray's next opponent in Heraklion will be Elmer Moller, an 18-year-old Dane qualifier, with an ATP ranking of #2084.

FrogUltimate

I got it wrong yesterday - it was Rybo that lost in a walkover despite the fact that he was leading up a set at the Puerto Vallarta Challenger. So all Frogs are out there.

Gray's next opponent in Heraklion will be Elmer Moller, an 18-year-old Dane qualifier, with an ATP ranking of #2084.

Rybakov must be injured. Would explain the long lay-off and then retirement from a match he was winning. Bummer

Pretty sure my singles ranking is currently higher than Gray's next opponent