• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I watched the Cracked Racquets podcast so you won't have to. It was marginally better regarding the Frogs - they've moved us up to 3rd behind Florida and Ohio State and they even did a segment on us which was somewhat complimentary. They're confused by our line-up and are unsure who's going to be slotted for the NCAA's. They said they haven't covered us this season because we've been cruising. Gruskin read some stats and Stachowiak and Halioris agreed that we were "top tier." But all of them fully expect Florida to repeat as champions and that "we're going to be talking about this era in Florida tennis forever." They think it's so obvious that Florida is going to win that they're already speculating that there will be a mass exodus from the team after back-to-back titles because they'll have "nothing more to prove." And they equally think that Ohio State having lost only 2 points all season at home (1 to Xavier and 1 to Michigan) is the most impressive stat ever and can never be topped. The fact that TCU owns W's over both Florida and the Buckeyes went unmentioned.

They also did a segment on the Big 12 tourney which they treated as a joke. Stachowiak made an off-the-wall prediction that OU was going to win - his argument was to loudly state the name of the Sooners' players enthusiastically, and Gruskin thought it was so funny that he went with the prediction too and they chortled amongst themselves for 5 minutes or so. Halioris, who is not a TCU defender but was forced into the role, finally said that they were being ridiculous and that TCU was the favorite and that it'll probably be TCU-Baylor in the finals. The others finally stopped giggling and disdainfully agreed.
Thank you for taking that bullet for the rest of us.

FrogUltimate

So because of yesterday's rain delay, Norrie is being forced straight back on court for his quarters match. He will play once the Schwartzman, vs FAA match is done.

Typically I'd have Norrie as a decent favorite in this match against De Minaur as I see it as a good match-up for him, particularly on clay. De Minaur hates clay. But given Norrie is coming off two tough 3-setters and is getting literally zero rest, De Minaur should be a sizable favorite here since he didn't really have to play today.

Side note: I've been low-key hammering these tournaments for a couple years now, and this is a great example of terrible scheduling. In an effort to drive matches to later in the week, where crowds are better, they slow play the early rounds and leave zero wiggle room. So now you have everyone playing two matches on the same day, while Norrie has had like three off days this week already. It's stupid and puts the players at risk of injury. Not to mention totally messing with the quality of play.

Jared7

So because of yesterday's rain delay, Norrie is being forced straight back on court for his quarters match. He will play once the Schwartzman, vs FAA match is done.

Typically I'd have Norrie as a decent favorite in this match against De Minaur as I see it as a good match-up for him, particularly on clay. De Minaur hates clay. But given Norrie is coming off two tough 3-setters and is getting literally zero rest, De Minaur should be a sizable favorite here since he didn't really have to play today.

Side note: I've been low-key hammering these tournaments for a couple years now, and this is a great example of terrible scheduling. In an effort to drive matches to later in the week, where crowds are better, they slow play the early rounds and leave zero wiggle room. So now you have everyone playing two matches on the same day, while Norrie has had like three off days this week already. It's stupid and puts the players at risk of injury. Not to mention totally messing with the quality of play.
Well, it did rain in Barcelona most of yesterday. But Cam just played a 3 hour+ match and he's going to have to play another one in a few hours, so I'm not optimistic.

The Big 12 men get underway today with UT-Oklahoma State and Tech-OU. The Cowboys scheduled Charlotte last minute and won yesterday in an effort to keep their NCAA hopes alive. Similarly, although both are projected in (as of now), Tech-OU could be a play-in match for the NCAA's depending on how many upsets occur in the 21 conferences with automatic bids.

FrogUltimate

Well, it did rain in Barcelona most of yesterday. But Cam just played a 3 hour+ match and he's going to have to play another one in a few hours, so I'm not optimistic.

The Big 12 men get underway today with UT-Oklahoma State and Tech-OU. The Cowboys scheduled Charlotte last minute and won yesterday in an effort to keep their NCAA hopes alive. Similarly, although both are projected in (as of now), Tech-OU could be a play-in match for the NCAA's depending on how many upsets occur in the 21 conferences with automatic bids.

Yeh the rain delay is kind of my point... you back-scheduled the tournament to a point where one day of rain delay forces you to play two matches on the same day, which is pretty rare.

Jared7

There'll be a $5 price for tickets today, but the first 200 TCU students with an ID will get in free. There's no real need for a preview of OU given that we just played them (and beat them 5-2 in Norman). But the 5th seeded Sooners are the Cracked Racquets pick to win the Big 12 tourney, so this could be tougher than expected. This will be the last chance for Roditi to experiment with the line-up as it has to be set prior to the NCAA's.

Jared7

Good 4-1 W by the Frogs to make the finals of the Big 12 tourney. We'll face Baylor, who beat Texas 4-2. It'll be after the women's ,final, which starts at 11:00 a.m. (CDT), so probably somewhere around 2:00 p.m. (CDT). Once again, the first 200 students with ID's will get in free. Elsewhere, Florida beat Tennessee 4-1 and Virginia advanced, but there was rain in many places, so some tourneys have been delayed.

ftwfrog

Good 4-1 W by the Frogs to make the finals of the Big 12 tourney. We'll face Baylor, who beat Texas 4-2. It'll be after the women's ,final, which starts at 11:00 a.m. (CDT), so probably somewhere around 2:00 p.m. (CDT). Once again, the first 200 students with ID's will get in free. Elsewhere, Florida beat Tennessee 4-1 and Virginia advanced, but there was rain in many places, so some tourneys have been delayed.
Not to sound like an idiot, is this also at TCU? And I’m guessing indoors, due to projected rain? Will fans be allowed indoors?

Jared7

Not to sound like an idiot, is this also at TCU? And I’m guessing indoors, due to projected rain? Will fans be allowed indoors?
Yes, both the entire tourneys on the men's and women's sides are at TCU's tennis center. Fans are allowed indoors, but there isn't much seating, if they have to move inside.

Jared7

"They" decide whenever they feel like it. Usually, they try to make a decision before the match has started, but I've seen matches moved inside even after starting. It's up to the decision-makers, which, in the case of a normal dual match, are the coaches of the two teams. But in a conference tourney, it'll be the tournament director, who is probably a conference official (in consultation with the coaches).

Jared7

Last year, Baylor and TCU shared the regular season title, but Baylor took the tournament championship and beat the Frogs 3 out of 4. This year, we've split 1-1 so far and we took the outright title. They'll get bragging rights if they beat us and we'll keep them with a W, so this is big for the rivalry. Baylor has 22 total Big 12 titles, counting regular season and tourney; we have 7 (although they had a 16-year head start). This is as big as it can get in the Big 12.