• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Jared7

This is first time in the history of Masters 1000's that none of the 4 semi-finalists have been ranked in the Top 25. Any of the 4 could conceivably emerge as the champion. The Tennis Channel guys are picking Norrie today because his lefty stuff won't allow Dimitrov to get spins on his backhand as easily as against rightys. We'll see. If Cam plays as well as on Thursday, I like his chances, but an average performance probably won't be enough. I'll be at work (for both this match and the OU game), so maybe that'll provide Cam with some luck. The Wimbledon match against Federer was huge - this is bigger.

Jared7

Day after day and match after match at Indian Wells this year, Cam Norrie has been playing the biggest match of his career and it'll happen again this evening when he plays Nikoloz Basilashvili in his 6th final of the year (tying him with world #1 Novak Djojovic for the most). If he wins his 2nd ever ATP title, he'll move up to 16th in the world and 10th in the Race to Turin standings. And earn $1,000,000 and 1000 ATP points. With Rod Laver and Monica Seles in attendance, Cam relatively easily handled Dimitrov by reeling off the first 4 games in set 1 and then staving off all attempts to change the momentum. Norrie has played Basilashvili,a Georgian, only once before - this year in Rotterdam - and he won handily. But that was indoors on a quick service and Indian Wells, while hard court, is much slower (with sand mixed in). And Basilashvili has been ripping winners all week and beating both Tsitsipas and Fritz was very impressive for him. Can Cam's steady play, his weird mixture of a looping lefty forehand with lots of side and top spin and a flat two-handed backhand which stays low frustrate Basilashvili like so many others this year? Can Norrie climb into tennis' bigtime with a Masters 1000 championship in what some label as the "5th major?" Can he continue his solid steady climb from 71st at the beginning of the year and join the next tier just in time for a changing of the guard from the Top 3's long dominance? Can he continue as the #1 player in the world who attended a U.S. university? Can he solidify his new status as Britain's #1? Tune in at 6:00 p.m. tonight and see if the best TCU tennis player ever can accomplish some stunning results!

Last edited:

jake102

Norrie will win if he doesn’t have a finals collapse like last tournament against Ruud.

Also - regardless of result tonight - it’s good to see Norrie bounce back from his semi-cold streak leading up to US Open. That’s what great players do and he’s done it marvelously

Jared7

Norrie v. Basilashvili has been delayed awhile due to a 3+ hour epic women's match between Paula Badosa and Victoria Azaranka which Badosa just won in a 3rd set tiebreaker. A good (albeit not capacity due to COVID) crowd awaits the mens' final. I like Norrie's chances too, but having watched him lay an egg in San Diego gives me pause. He'll be favored; unlike the past few matches in "Tennis Paradise." Reading the Guardian's comments page indicates to me that a lot of Brits will be staying up late to watch this one. It'll start shortly on the Tennis Channel if you want to watch.

Jared7

And they're off! Basilashvili holds and it's love-1 early. Cam is wearing blue; not purple.
1-all.
2-1! Cam gets the early break! De ja vu all over again as Cam "forces" some unforced errors.
3-2. Easy holds by both players.
3-all. Basilashvili gets the break. This one is going to be close.
3-4. Definite shift in momentum.
3-5. Cam gets distracted by the jumbotron and Basilashvili gets yet another break and will serve for the set. Bad developments.
Cam falls in the first set at Basilashvili starts ripping winner after winner 3-6.

1-love in the 2nd. Cam finally gets a hold.
1-all. Basilashvili is ripping winners constantly with a love-hold and looks far better.
1-2. Norrie broken again due to winners from Basilashvili. It's high risk tennis, but Basilashvili is just on fire.
2-all! Cam gets the break due to unforced errors as Basilashvili cools down.
3-2. The match settles down.
3-all. As the wind kicks up, Norrie gets a break point but can't convert.
4-3. Cam holds.
4-all. Long rallies; good tennis as Basilashvili holds.
5-4. Easy needed love hold for Norrie.
YESSSS! Cam elevates his play significantly as he rips some winners and steals the 2nd set 6-4!!!!

Last edited:

Jared7

On to the decider. Cam serving first.
1-love. Cam gets an ace to finish it.
2-love!! Cam gets the early break and the worm has definitely turned!
3-love. Whew! Norrie digs himself into a love-40 hole, but fights back for the key hold!
3-1. Norrie almost gets the insurance break.

Last edited:

Jared7

4-1! Cam closes in...
Brief pause as Basilashvili takes a bathroom break.
5-1!!! Cam will serve for his 2nd title and his first Masters 1000 title! Nerves??

Last edited:

jake102

Norrie up to #13 and up to #10 in the YTD race. With Nadal not playing in the year-end event, means Norrie needs to climb one more spot or have one other person not play (Djokovic). Hurkacz is the guy currently at #9

Last edited:

Jared7

The British media is literally going agog over Cam's title. The big news is that someone took/stole/threw away 3 pairs of his shoes the night before the final - he had left them on the top of his locker - and he and Facundo spent all day trying to find them with no success. Cam apparently took it all in stride but Facu was very "p*ssed off." So Cam had to get some new shoes and basically had to break them in in the first set against Basilashvili. The other big news is that his girlfriend - "glam fashion designer" Louise Jacobi - was at the event and kissed Cam publicly after the W; thus more or less outing their relationship after trying somewhat at keeping it semi-private for quite some time. Hundreds and hundreds of comments on their various websites - mostly focusing on whether he is really "British" - and some on the tennis. And multiple calculations on where he is really ranked (13th or 16th). According to some, he's the new "British poster boy" and has transitioned immediately from a minor celebrity into a gigantic one after the W at Indian Wells and becoming the new U.K. #1. And some speculation on when he's going to become "Sir" Cameron, with a Queen-granted knighthood.

Longfrog

I guess file this under "it's tough to keep up with fall tennis" or maybe "no one gives a rip about fall tennis" but ITA Regionals is apparently wrapping up. Two frogs are still alive in the semis in singles. Aguilar plays Braswell from UT, Fomba gets Lah from Baylor. Aguilar has had some lousy results for a while now, but he took out Boitan 4 & 4 on Saturday. I kind of think we should push him into our top 3 even though I'm not totally sure it's justified on the merits, just because he's capable of beating anyone on the right day and we will eventually get to a match where we'll want to roll the dice.

Braswell has already taken out 2 frogs, crushing Maxted 0 & 1 in R16 (Maxted beat Braswell last month in straights) and Jong 4 & 5 in the quarters. PVM lost to Lah in the quarters in 3 sets. Fomba has cruised, winning each of his four matches in straights.

Doubles is already done and the team of PVM/Maxted won it in 3 sets over Harper/Ciamarra of UT. Fomba/Aguilar were the #1 seeds but lost to the UT team in a tiebreaker in the semis.

Jared7

I guess file this under "it's tough to keep up with fall tennis" or maybe "no one gives a rip about fall tennis" but ITA Regionals is apparently wrapping up. Two frogs are still alive in the semis in singles. Aguilar plays Braswell from UT, Fomba gets Lah from Baylor. Aguilar has had some lousy results for a while now, but he took out Boitan 4 & 4 on Saturday. I kind of think we should push him into our top 3 even though I'm not totally sure it's justified on the merits, just because he's capable of beating anyone on the right day and we will eventually get to a match where we'll want to roll the dice.

Braswell has already taken out 2 frogs, crushing Maxted 0 & 1 in R16 (Maxted beat Braswell last month in straights) and Jong 4 & 5 in the quarters. PVM lost to Lah in the quarters in 3 sets. Fomba has cruised, winning each of his four matches in straights.

Doubles is already done and the team of PVM/Maxted won it in 3 sets over Harper/Ciamarra of UT. Fomba/Aguilar were the #1 seeds but lost to the UT team in a tiebreaker in the semis.
I just saw that on twitter and was going to post about it. PVM and Maxted winning the Regionals is huge for them - it means they'll be headed for the Nationals, I think, in New York.

Latest posts