• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Jared7

Other teams that have punched their tickets include A&M (4-1 over Zona); Wake (4-1 over Notre Dame); Florida (4-1 over Florida State); South Carolina (4-3 over Duke); Tennessee (4-0 over Memphis); Texas (4-0 over Oregon); NC State (4-2 over Mississippi); Ohio State (4-0 over UNC); Virginia (4-0 over Georgia Tech); and Kentucky (4-2 over Mississippi State). Still outstanding are Baylor v. Miami, USC v. Harvard; UCF v. Stanford; and Georgia v. USF.

Jared7

And here's the current ITA poll (which I forgot to list last Wednesday). The Frogs fell to 4th (despite owning H2H over Florida):

1. Tennessee (L)
2. Baylor (on our schedule)
3. Florida (W)
4. the Fighting Frogs of lil ole TCU
5. Ohio State
6. Virginia (on our schedule)
7. Georgia
8. USC
9. Texas (on our schedule)
10. Wake Forest
11. Kentucky
12. Arizona
13. South Carolina
14. Stanford
15. Pepperdine
16. Michigan (on our schedule)
17. North Carolina
18. Mississippi (on our schedule)
19. A&M
20. UCF
21. Mississippi State (on our schedule)
22. Oklahoma (on our schedule)
23. UCLA (on our schedule)
24. Harvard
25. Illinois (on our schedule).

So the 2 Mississippi schools losing are the first two upsets of the National Indoor tourney.

Endless Purple

Frogs Win! Aguilar with the clincher! 4-0!! We punch our ticket to Seattle! 7 straight National Indoors!
Need some clarification.

The Frogs made the indoor championships. Now have matches between this and the trip to Seattle. Are the three matches in between outdoor or also part of the indoor championships?

Jared7

Need some clarification.

The Frogs made the indoor championships. Now have matches between this and the trip to Seattle. Are the three matches in between outdoor or also part of the indoor championships?
The Indoors in Seattle won't take place for a few weeks (2/18-2/21). But you're right - we'll play Mississippi, Mississippi State (home) and Virginia (road) before then. It seems weird but the dates are pre-set and everyone knows that the Indoors isn't continuous. There are several reasons for this - tennis isn't a revenue sport and teams can't easily or cheaply charter planes week-by-week to head wherever. Also, this gives the schools that didn't make it the opportunity to schedule other matches during that weekend (against other teams that didn't get in).

Matches can always be outdoors or indoors depending on all sorts of factors; there is no rule and they can be changed at any time. By the host school, or if it's a neutral site, mutually. The Miss. schools are now out of the Indoors and it may be warm enough to play outdoors there but both matches are in Ft. Worth. So Roditi gets to choose. Do we prepare for Seattle with a view at winning it? Or do we maximize our chances outdoors? Or maybe, we're actually an indoors team now. Virginia is still in it, and that plus all the snow tells me that we'll be playing the Wahoos indoors because they'll want to prepare for Seattle. But who knows?

Jared7

Need some clarification.

Another weird thing about the "Indoors" is that some of the matches this weekend were outdoors (e.g., Texas in Austin). The only thing truly indoors about the tourney is that the matches in Seattle will all be indoors. I think we've hosted outdoors at times in previous Kickoffs.

USC ended up beating Harvard and the other 3 matches are tomorrow. Miami and USF are good teams and are capable, but I don't think anyone is beating Baylor or Georgia. Stanford at UCF is the other "upset special" that the Cracked Racquets guys projected (and they're already right on NCState and Kentucky upsetting the Mississippi schools). Assuming Baylor wins, we're the likely #4 seed and would play the #13th seed (currently South Carolina).

Jared7

Alex Rybakov is back in action. Last week, he played in the qualies of the Columbus Challenger, where he beat Govind Nanda and lost to Yosuke Watanuki. This week, he's in Cleveland and he won today in 3 sets over Kaichi Ushida and will face Sebastian Fanselow tomorrow. Also at both Challengers, Nick Chappell lost to Nicolas Mejia at Columbus and today lost to Watanuki.

Endless Purple

Appreciate the detailed responses.

I follow TCU sports in general, but have only attended one tennis match. Took my camera down to a women's match a couple years ago when in town for a baseball game.

Jared7

Rybo's match against Fanselow in Cleveland is scheduled to start in about an hour. His ranking has slipped a bit due to being out much of the fall for surgery - his CH was #336 and he's now #357. He really needs to have some success at these Challengers to re-ignite his rankings rise. Fanselow will provide a good opportunity; he's ranked #341, he's a 30-year-old ex-Pepperdine player from Germany.

Alastair Gray is now at #501. I'm not sure if he's playing this week. Jerry Lopez is apparently skipping the Cancun tourneys. Cam Norrie has slipped to #13th after the disastrous Aussie tourneys and his 4-match losing streak.

#18 Mississippi is next up for the Frogs on Sunday at home. They'll be smarting from the L to NC State and they've got some tune-up matches before the TCU match; starting with Alcorn State tomorrow. They may not be elite, but they are certainly very good (the SEC is filled with such teams) and will present a good challenge. They'll be the 3rd SEC team we've played this season; all-time, the Frogs lead the series 7-5, including a 4-3 W last year. The Frogs are now 5-1 on the season and CTR's rankings have moved us up to 3rd.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

And here's the current ITA poll (which I forgot to list last Wednesday). The Frogs fell to 4th (despite owning H2H over Florida):

1. Tennessee (L)
3. Florida (W)
5. Ohio State
7. Georgia
8. USC
10. Wake Forest
11. Kentucky
12. Arizona
13. South Carolina
14. Stanford
15. Pepperdine
16. Michigan (on our schedule)
17. North Carolina
18. Mississippi (on our schedule)
19. A&M
20. UCF
21. Mississippi State (on our schedule)
24. Harvard
25. Illinois (on our schedule).

So the 2 Mississippi schools losing are the first two upsets of the National Indoor tourney.
Does the drop to 4th mean TCU is likely to be on the same side of the bracket with Tennessee--with Baylor and Florida on the opposite side? Too much time between now and then to worry about it?

FrogUltimate

Rybo's match against Fanselow in Cleveland is scheduled to start in about an hour. His ranking has slipped a bit due to being out much of the fall for surgery - his CH was #336 and he's now #357. He really needs to have some success at these Challengers to re-ignite his rankings rise. Fanselow will provide a good opportunity; he's ranked #341, he's a 30-year-old ex-Pepperdine player from Germany.

Alastair Gray is now at #501. I'm not sure if he's playing this week. Jerry Lopez is apparently skipping the Cancun tourneys. Cam Norrie has slipped to #13th after the disastrous Aussie tourneys and his 4-match losing streak.

#18 Mississippi is next up for the Frogs on Sunday at home. They'll be smarting from the L to Kentucky and they've got some tune-up matches before the TCU match; starting with Alcorn State tomorrow. They may not be elite, but they are certainly very good (the SEC is filled with such teams) and will present a good challenge. They'll be the 3rd SEC team we've played this season; all-time, the Frogs lead the series 7-5, including a 4-3 W last year. The Frogs are now 5-1 on the season and CTR's rankings have moved us up to 3rd.

So any update on Jirousek and Vives? Have you seen anything?

Jared7

Does the drop to 4th mean TCU is likely to be on the same side of the bracket with Tennessee--with Baylor and Florida on the opposite side? Too much time between now and then to worry about it?
I'm not exactly sure when the seeds are determined. I "think" it's based on the rankings the week before the Nationals. If so, there will be 2 more weeks of matches and the rankings could/will change. If we were to tear through Mississippi, Mississippi State and Virginia, we could be 8-1 and very highly ranked by then. If not, we could slip. I went to this event when it was last in Chicago a few years ago and I seem to remember that the seedings didn't make any sense at all then. I think your last sentence is probably accurate. Whatever. I think we want to play the weakest possible seed in the first round to augment our chances (preferably Washington). If we win, who we face depends on who else wins their first round. If we lose, it won't really matter.

We've never really been in a position where I thought we had a chance to win it and the point then was just to maximize our chances against at least 3 top teams. This year, we might actually have a decent shot at the title.

Jared7

So any update on Jirousek and Vives? Have you seen anything?
No, I have no pipeline to injury status and Roditi doesn't make this public. Your guess is as good as mine. The Cracked Racquets guys thought Vives would be back for the ITA Kickoff - they don't really know anything either (although they did nail the upsets).

Jared7

Rybo's match against Fanselow has been delayed. And wherever I read that NC State beat Mississippi (CTR twitter - I'm looking at you) was wrong. Actually, Mississippi came back and won and punched their ticket to Seattle. So they won't be smarting from that L because it was a W. Baylor-Miami has started in Waco.

Alex lost his first set 4-6 due to a late break but is up a break in the 2nd set 3-2.
4-3 in the 2nd. Baylor takes their doubles point (with a W from Boitan/Paroulek at #3).

Last edited:

MBAFrog91

The Indoors in Seattle won't take place for a few weeks (2/18-2/21). But you're right - we'll play Mississippi, Mississippi State (home) and Virginia (road) before then. It seems weird but the dates are pre-set and everyone knows that the Indoors isn't continuous. There are several reasons for this - tennis isn't a revenue sport and teams can't easily or cheaply charter planes week-by-week to head wherever. Also, this gives the schools that didn't make it the opportunity to schedule other matches during that weekend (against other teams that didn't get in).

Matches can always be outdoors or indoors depending on all sorts of factors; there is no rule and they can be changed at any time. By the host school, or if it's a neutral site, mutually. The Miss. schools are now out of the Indoors and it may be warm enough to play outdoors there but both matches are in Ft. Worth. So Roditi gets to choose. Do we prepare for Seattle with a view at winning it? Or do we maximize our chances outdoors? Or maybe, we're actually an indoors team now. Virginia is still in it, and that plus all the snow tells me that we'll be playing the Wahoos indoors because they'll want to prepare for Seattle. But who knows?
UVA is a home match February 13.

Jared7

In addition to Baylor winning over Miami, Georgia beat USF and Stanford defeated UCF. So the field is set for the Indoors in Seattle - it consists of 3 Big 12 teams (TCU, Texas and Baylor), 7 SEC teams (Tennessee, Florida, A&M, Kentucky, Mississippi, Georgia and South Carolina); 2 ACC teams (Wake and Virginia), 3 PAC12 teams (USC, Stanford and Washington) and 1 Big 10 team (Ohio State). The only real upsets were Kentucky over Mississippi State, Ohio State over UNC and Stanford over UCF. But Ohio State and Stanford advancing aren't really "upsets" because both are elite programs that just didn't finish high last year because of the way they dealt with COVID (not playing a national schedule, starting late and only playing in conference matches). And Kentucky is ranked higher than Mississippi State already. So form largely held and, other than host Washington, there will be no "weak" teams in Seattle. It'll be unpredictable, though, because many teams have had players out (injury; COVID) and haven't been at full strength as yet. Texas, for example, has had Spizzirri and Woldeab missing or "back" and only hitting slice returns. The Frogs are similar, with Vives and Jirousek both questionable.

Attention now shifts to our upcoming matches against Mississippi, State and Virginia - 2 of which will be in Seattle. We're 5-1, ranked 4th and off to a good start. Will that continue?

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
In addition to Baylor winning over Miami, Georgia beat USF and Stanford defeated UCF. So the field is set for the Indoors in Seattle - it consists of 3 Big 12 teams (TCU, Texas and Baylor), 7 SEC teams (Tennessee, Florida, A&M, Kentucky, Mississippi, Georgia and South Carolina); 2 ACC teams (Wake and Virginia), 3 PAC12 teams (USC, Stanford and Washington) and 1 Big 12 team (Ohio State). The only real upsets were Kentucky over Mississippi State, Ohio State over UNC and Stanford over UCF. But Ohio State and Stanford advancing aren't really "upsets" because both are elite programs that just didn't finish high last year because of the way they dealt with COVID (not playing a national schedule, starting late and only playing in conference matches). And Kentucky is ranked higher than Mississippi State already. So form largely held and, other than host Washington, there will be no "weak" teams in Seattle. It'll be unpredictable, though, because many teams have had players out (injury; COVID) and haven't been at full strength as yet. Texas, for example, has had Spizzirri and Woldeab missing or "back" and only hitting slice returns. The Frogs are similar, with Vives and Jirousek both questionable.

Attention now shifts to our upcoming matches against Mississippi, State and Virginia - 2 of which will be in Seattle. We're 5-1, ranked 4th and off to a good start. Will that continue?
We will not continue to be 5-1.

Jared7

The new ITA rankings are out and there's not much change, at least at the top - the Frogs remain 4th. Here they are:

1. Tennessee (L)
3. Florida (W)
5. Ohio State
7. Georgia
8. USC
10. Wake Forest
11. Kentucky
12. Stanford
13. South Carolina
14. A&M
15. Mississippi (on our schedule next)
16. Arizona
17. Michigan (on our schedule)
18. Pepperdine
19. Mississippi State (on our schedule)
20. Harvard
21. North Carolina
24. N.C. State
25. UCF

The Top 15 are all headed to Seattle. CTR still has the Frogs at 3rd. If you go by UTR's, we'd be 6th. Some big matches to be played this week include Tennessee at Ohio State, Texas at Baylor, Virginia at Kentucky, Georgia at NC State, UCF at Wake, USC at Stanford, UNC at Illinois, Virginia at Ohio State, Georgia at Wake and UCLA at Stanford.

Longfrog

There will be a new #1 team going into indoors. Ohio State annihilated top-ranked Tennessee 4-0. They were a game away from a 5th point, and ahead in one of the remaining two matches, so this was not a deceptive score line. It was at Ohio State, which is a notoriously difficult place to win. One of the few teams to win there was UVA last year at kickoff weekend. Those two teams will square off on Sunday as Ohio State looks for revenge. Then a week later the Hoos will play us in FW.