• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Longfrog

Thought the Brooksby Coric match might get interesting and it is. Brooksby wins the 1st set then fights off 7 set points to take the 2nd 12-10 in a tiebreaker. Coric steamrolled everyone in Cincinnati but Brooksby seems to play well in NY.

FrogUltimate

Not too surprising after how that 2nd set ended, Brooksby takes the 3rd 6-1. He likely gets Alcaraz next.
Norrie on now.
Sousa doesn’t seem up for the fight it’s going to take to beat Norrie. This is a great matchup of styles for Norrie. Shorter right handed player whose backhand is solid at best, but leans suspect. Minimal serve. If Norrie was returning better this would be a 3,3,1 type of match

Longfrog

Sousa doesn’t seem up for the fight it’s going to take to beat Norrie. This is a great matchup of styles for Norrie. Shorter right handed player whose backhand is solid at best, but leans suspect. Minimal serve. If Norrie was returning better this would be a 3,3,1 type of match
Yeah I was about to say the same. The backhand is weak and Norrie can hit it whenever he wants. Sousa is trying like hell to run around as many as he can to hit the forehand but it just leaves him off balance. The 2nd serve is a coming in there sub-85mph too. Just a bad style vs Norrie.

Longfrog

Appears that Alcaraz is not messing around today. Brooksby's gonna have his hands full. Would imagine they get the evening slot on Ashe.

MBAFrog91

I wonder if there are ever any Baylor fans who get all decked out in their green and gold to go watch Jenson Brooksby play.

No. He didn’t play a single college tennis match. And if I remember correctly, Roditi said he only took online classes and did not live on campus. Therefore, he doesn’t consider him a collegiate tennis player. And I agree. He should never be grouped in with other successful college tennis players for those reasons.

Longfrog

He's also using some pretty weird tactics in his return games. He's giving tons of ground to Rune on his serve, which isn't that powerful. Even on 2nd serves he's receiving with his back to the wall. Parts I've seen, Rune's pretty consistently been able to take control of points. I didn't see the game where Norrie broke, so I guess it must have worked once.

Purp

Fritz is an absolute shocker... he was playing easily top 10 tennis the past few months, top 5 maybe. Lost to a guy ranked like #300. Opens the draw for Ruud to cruise.

I was already projecting Berrettini to beat Tsitsipas, so no change there. Probably like Ruud getting to semis vs FAA. Although I'm maybe feeling better about Meddy again.
With Meddy going down to Kyrgios does that change anything for you? Kyrgios looks dangerous.

FrogUltimate

With Meddy going down to Kyrgios does that change anything for you? Kyrgios looks dangerous.
Oh yeh. FAA losing is the big wrinkle in what I thought would happen. It’s wide open for Kyrgios to make semis and finals. Ruud vs Berretini in the other top half quarter is a fun match, probably lean Ruud but close. I think I like Kyrgios over either but who knows.

The bottom half of draw is far more competitive. Still have Alcaraz, Sinner, Norrie, Rublev and Nadal. The likely Alacaraz vs Sinner quarter is awesome. And my hopeful Norrie vs Nadal quarter is awesome as well. Absolutely stacked.

Probably like Alcaraz vs Kyrgios as likely finals at this point, although Sinner, Nadal and even Norrie isn’t out of question. And Ruud or Berretini could certainly come through the top half.