• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

FrogUltimate

This is easily his best opportunity to go deep in a GS. The match against Johnson is HUGELY lopsided on paper... Johnson doesn't have a backhand. If Norrie can handle the slice backhand to his backhand and not make mistakes, he should win in straight sets (kiss of death right there)

Just going to give myself a pat on the back here. Just a painful match-up of playing styles for Johnson, couldn't have been more perfect for Norrie.

He gets Paul next. Will be a much different match... Paul is an all court, mostly baseliner, who is very consistent. Paul will be able to pressure Norrie's backhand and if Norrie can't keep it in the court with a high level of consistency, he's probably going to lose in 4 or 5.

JogginFrog

Just going to give myself a pat on the back here. Just a painful match-up of playing styles for Johnson, couldn't have been more perfect for Norrie.

He gets Paul next. Will be a much different match... Paul is an all court, mostly baseliner, who is very consistent. Paul will be able to pressure Norrie's backhand and if Norrie can't keep it in the court with a high level of consistency, he's probably going to lose in 4 or 5.
What level of game-planning do guys do at this level? Is there anything specific that Norrie is likely to do ahead of a match with Paul that he wouldn't have done for Johnson?

FrogUltimate

What level of game-planning do guys do at this level? Is there anything specific that Norrie is likely to do ahead of a match with Paul that he wouldn't have done for Johnson?
Norrie has played Paul a couple times before including recently, so there's not too much mystery. I'm sure Norrie and Lugones will game plan a bit around a grass court setting against Paul, but Norrie shouldn't need too much planning. I'd think they try to get in a ton of backhands tomorrow in practice.

Purp

This Kyrgios/Tsitsipas match is highly entertaining. Kyrgios is a brash clown that plays at a ridiculous pace and his mouth moves even faster. Tsitsipas has hit 2 smashes into the crowd in frustration and been given a point penalty for it. He's also hit 3 hard smashes right at Kyrgios and landed one. He's visibly angry and rattled. Kyrgios even hit an underhand serve catching Tsitsipas off guard to win a game. Chair umpire lost control of this one in the first set. Now Kyrgios is down injured in what may be karma fighting back for Tsitsipas.

Longfrog

Didn't get to see the whole thing, but I wasn't impressed with Tsitsipas. Everyone knows what you're getting from Kyrgios, you just have to ignore him. I don't know why he allowed him to play so fast on the serve. Just go for the towel after every point like plenty of other guys do. And then he calls Kyrgios a bully, which shows everyone he got under your skin. Kyrgios has now beaten him 4 out of 5 times, so I suspect that has something to with it. Norrie's always said positive things about Kyrgios, and he's also won 2 of their 3 matches. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Purp

Didn't get to see the whole thing, but I wasn't impressed with Tsitsipas. Everyone knows what you're getting from Kyrgios, you just have to ignore him. I don't know why he allowed him to play so fast on the serve. Just go for the towel after every point like plenty of other guys do. And then he calls Kyrgios a bully, which shows everyone he got under your skin. Kyrgios has now beaten him 4 out of 5 times, so I suspect that has something to with it. Norrie's always said positive things about Kyrgios, and he's also won 2 of their 3 matches. I don't think that's a coincidence.
Fowler and Mac kept talking about how bad a surface grass was for Tsitsipas and how good Kyrgios was on it. I suspect that and their head to head record was in Tsitsipas' head before the match. That first set was dead even. I'd have given Kyrgios the edge before the tiebreaker bc he never had to defend a break point, but Tsitsipas had to defend several. After that, Kyrgios lived rent free in his head. It was over.

tcuwags

That was such a fun match to watch. Both players made some incredible shots, but Cam seemed to be playing like he was really having fun out there. Winning helps that I’m sure.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I looked at the Wimbledon score page and it showed 8 quarterfinals under mens singles and 4 semifinals. Why?
"Round of Sixteen" = 16 players = 8 matches = 8 winners.

Quarterfinals = 8 players = 4 matches = 4 winners

Semifinals = 4 players = 2 matches = 2 winners

Final = 2 players = 1 match = 1 winner

(Four "Round of Sixteen" men's matches were played today; the remaining four "Round of Sixteen matches will be played tomorrow.)

Endless Purple

"Round of Sixteen" = 16 players = 8 matches = 8 winners.

Quarterfinals = 8 players = 4 matches = 4 winners

Semifinals = 4 players = 2 matches = 2 winners

Final = 2 players = 1 match = 1 winner

(Four "Round of Sixteen" men's matches were played today; the remaining four "Round of Sixteen matches will be played tomorrow.)
Yes, that I expect, but on the wimbledon site on my phone, It had for each day 8 quarter final matches for men's singles and 4 semifinal matches.

Longfrog

Decided to watch Cam’s press conference and got some unexpected good news. He said former top junior Jack Pinnington Jones recently committed to TCU. He’s a guy I was hoping might commit to us since he’s a Brit and we seem to have a pipeline but figured when he turned pro last year that ship had sailed. And he’s had some success… in May he won a futures event. Not sure why now but this is a major get. His UTR is over 14 which would immediately place him among the top 10 in the country. There’s no info anywhere else to corroborate so hopefully Cam’s right.

Longfrog

Think I've gotten confirmation that Pinnington Jones to TCU is legit, but he wasn't planning to announce til after this week. So Cam sort of spilled the beans. Regardless, seems like a good time to update my ad hoc list of recent TCU players and their career high junior ranks. This needs the caveat that not all juniors play the circuit often enough to earn the points that would reflect their quality. Vives is a good example. He only played 2 top tier junior events. At the last one he reached the quarters before losing to von der Schulenberg in a 3rd set breaker. So he definitely had the chops to get a better ranking if he'd wanted to.

That aside, here's the list with our two incomings highlighted...

TCU_jr_ranks.png