• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Longfrog

Gray takes the 3rd set breaker for the match. He looked thrilled... big hug for mom and dad. Happy for him. Think that's his first win over a top-100 player?

Edit: TCU tennis twitter account now says he beat #77 player last year at Eastbourne

Last edited:

Longfrog

I’d love to know last time one University had two guys in the 2nd round at a Grand Slam

Well, I think we're about to get topped. McDonald won yesterday, Giron beat Rune today, and Cressy is up 2 sets to 1 vs Auger Aliassime. So UCLA might get three.

Seems like college guys are everywhere. Nakashima, Brooksby (if he counts), Isner all won. Rinderknech up 2 sets to 1 vs Shapo.

FrogUltimate

Well, I think we're about to get topped. McDonald won yesterday, Giron beat Rune today, and Cressy is up 2 sets to 1 vs Auger Aliassime. So UCLA might get three.

Seems like college guys are everywhere. Nakashima, Brooksby (if he counts), Isner all won. Rinderknech up 2 sets to 1 vs Shapo.
Geez good recollection on Giron. Where did Nakashima play?

I don’t count Brooksby FWIW.

Longfrog

And the college GOAT Stevie Johnson was down a set but up 5-2 in the 2nd when he had to retire vs Dimitrov.

Edit: It was Dimitrov who retired

Last edited:

Longfrog

I missed that. Going to have to go see how he did while there, don't remember him at all

He went there right when UVA was losing that generational class, so they were on the way down. Forget who played 1 for them that year (Soderland?). He played 2 and was good but not great... improved as the year went along iirc. But they had very little behind the top 2.

Edit: think i conflated the year he was there with the year before. They were pretty good when he was there, but lineup still a little top heavy.

Last edited:

Longfrog

No more outer courts for Norrie. The British #1 is on court 1 tomorrow. If he wins and Murray loses, seems like he'd have a decent shot at center court on Friday.

Longfrog

Thanks to TCU twitter for the reminder about Roehampton. Our guy Gorzny -- currently ranked #54 -- was one of the last guys in a stacked field. He's beaten world #26, #13 & #9. The last one is the brother of UT freshman Pierre Yves Bailly and just made the finals at Roland Garros. Next up is the #5 ranked junior.

Did anyone catch Serena's match? Unbelievable. One of the more remarkable and inspiring losses I've ever seen. That thing was a marathon. Her body was ready to give out at the beginning of the 2nd set but her mind willed her to the very end. Would have been nice to see her win one last time. She probably wouldn't have gotten past the 3rd round anyway but it would have been a good finale. I have to think this is her last Wimbledon. Just an incredible performance given she's 40 and hadn't played a match in almost a full year.