• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Longfrog

Plus I think Baylor's loss hurt more. Felt like we were always playing from behind, but Baylor had chances to seize control and never did. Walton is good but Boitan should not lose that match.
Should also add, Baylor loses their top 3 of Boitan (1 year of eligibility left but I assume he goes pro), Soto & Lah (out of eligibility).

Wow, I thought Florida was the favorite to win the whole enchilada, so I guess Virginia is now. I was not paying attention to the Cavaliers. They lost five matches in a row from Feb. 6-19—on the road at Ohio State, 0-4; Baylor, 2-4; TCU, 1-4; then TCU and Florida at the ITA Indoor Championship, both 2-4 losses. Since then, they have won 21 matches in a row.

Last edited:

FrogUltimate

So I guess we mostly move to pro Frogs until next season.

Norrie currently playing in the semis against Rune at Lyon. Norrie breaks in the first game. Rune was injured/cramping at the end of his match yesterday, would think Norrie is a big favorite here

Longfrog

Wow, I thought Florida was the favorite to win the whole enchilada, so I guess Virginia is now. I was not paying attention to the Cavaliers. They lost five matches in a row from Feb. 6-19—on the road at Ohio State, 0-4; Baylor, 2-4; TCU, 1-4; then TCU and Florida at the ITA Indoor Championship, both 2-4 losses. Since then, they have won 21 matches in a row.
ACC was down this year so I think that's partly why they snuck up on people. But they also mixed in a 4-2 win over UK in Lexington in the middle of that run, which looks pretty impressive now.

I was convinced that securing a top seed at nationals would be really important so that we could avoid the UVAs and Tennessee's of the world. Unfortunately the quality went 8 deep this year instead of 6 or 7 like I hoped.

Last edited:
Kentucky again lost the doubles point, but then again won the top four singles. Draxl at #1 lost his first set, but the other three were straight sets. Kentucky was also two points away from winning #5 singles at 5-0 in the third set. #6 was 3-1 Kentucky in the third.

From Kentucky Men’s Tennis—Final results from singles vs Ohio State:
1) No. 4 Draxl 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
2) No. 21 Diallo 6-3, 6-2
3) No. 83 Hurrion 6-1, 6-2
4) Musitelli 6-4, 7-6(4)
5) No. 113 Lapadat 3-6, 6-1, 5-0 Unfinished
6) Mercer 2-6, 7-6(3), 3-1 Unfinished

Last edited:

Longfrog

The other semifinal isn't over but... it's over. UVA wins doubles and then sweeps all 6 1st sets in singles. So on one side it's the team that took us out even though we needed just one of two 3rd sets to advance vs. a team we beat twice already (albeit indoors).

I really would have felt a lot better if Florida had just blitzed everybody like they were expected to do. As it is, it'll be the #7 seed and the #8 seed playing for the title.

Last edited:
Yep, Virginia whooped Tennessee 5-0 in straight sets (a 5th point seconds after point 4). Most were tight sets, but the Cavaliers only lost one set all day and were up 2-0 in that match’s unfinished 3rd set, and were also up 5-2 in the second set of the other unfinished match.

#7 Virginia 5, #6 Tennessee 0

Singles:
1. #30 Chris Rodesch (VA) vs. #3 Adam Walton (UT) 7-5, 2-6, 2-0, unfinished
2. #39 Inaki Montes (VA) def. #10 Johannus Monday (UT) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
3. #45 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. #74 Emile Hudd (UT) 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
4. #96 Ryan Goetz (VA) vs. Shunsuke Mitsui (UT) 7-6 (7-4), 5-2, unfinished
5. Gianni Ross (VA) def. Angel Diaz (UT) 6-1, 6-4
6. Bar Botzer (VA) def. Martim Prata (UT) 7-5, 6-2

Doubles:
1. #61 Bar Botzer/Chris Rodesch (VA) vs. #13 Adam Walton/Pat Harper (UT) 4-4, unfinished
2. Ryan Goetz/Inaki Montes (VA) def. #21 Emile Hudd/Shunsuke Mitsui (UT) 6-2
3. Gianni Ross/J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Mark Wallner/Johannus Monday (UT) 6-3

Last edited:
The other semifinal isn't over but... it's over. UVA wins doubles and then sweeps all 6 1st sets in singles. So on one side it's the team that took us out even though we needed just one of two 3rd sets to advance vs. a team we beat twice already (albeit indoors).

I really would have felt a lot better if Florida had just blitzed everybody like they were expected to do. As it is, it'll be the #7 seed and the #8 seed playing for the title.
Maybe if Kentucky wins today that will add some fuel to Frog tennis, knowing how close they were to advancing versus the champion, Kentucky, in the quarters. But, as you stated, the Frogs also beat Virginia twice this year, so any added fuel should be there anyhoo. Maybe the TCU loss might sting less for fans if Virginia soundly wins today. It might be a tight match, but assuming Kentucky loses the doubles point, again, and #6 singles, then winning 4 of the other 5 singles may be too much to overcome, this time—Virginia wins. I see the Cavaliers were champions in 2013, ‘15, ’16 and ‘17, and runner-up in 2011 and ‘12, jeepers.

Last edited:

Longfrog

UVA takes doubles. This is now the 4th match in a row where UK has dropped dubs point, so they're in familiar territory needing 4 singles points.