• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Jared7

Isner? I know Norrie is currently ahead of him, but Isner reached a career high of #8
Isner (Georgia), to be sure, has had a much more overall career level of success than Norrie. He has a way better Slam record and he's more or less carried U.S. tennis for over a decade (although Opelka and Fritz are currently ranked higher). And he could have won at Indian Wells last week if he hadn't withdrawn in order to be present for the birth of his 3rd child. But he never won there and I'm going to stick with my new narrative of a changing of the guard in men's tennis until proven otherwise. He "was" the best example of the college model until Norrie passed him - now Cam is (in my view). Isner's not done yet and he could still make some waves, but I think Norrie (and Opelka, Fritz, Korda and others, although they all followed the turn pro immediately model) are the future. There are a ton of players with college experience out there - McDonald, Shane, Wolf, Rinderknech, Torp, Jubb, Crawford (and even Brooksby) - but they haven't done what Norrie has done as yet.

Longfrog

Isner has had a great career, but I think Anderson's has been a little bit better. There are only 3 guys younger than Nakashima ranked higher than he is.

jake102

Isner has had a great career, but I think Anderson's has been a little bit better. There are only 3 guys younger than Nakashima ranked higher than he is.

I always forget Anderson was a college guy.

And to Jared - I thought you meant Norrie has had the best career of any currently active players. 100% agreed Norrie is the current best college-path guy. And I think likely headed towards challenging Isner and Anderson as the best career in the past 20 years.

Longfrog

This claim now in jeopardy as last year's #4 singles player Blaise Bicknell has reportedly entered the portal. He went 32-0 in singles last year.
Not sure we ever closed the loop on this, but he went to Tennessee. Vols are pretty scary...

Walton
Monday
Bicknell
Hudd
Prata
Whoever at 6

Jared7

Norrie has traveled to Vienna for the ATP 500 tourney this week and he is scheduled to open against Marton Fucsovics in the Round of 32 tomorrow. Fucsovics is Hungarian with an ATP ranking of #39 and a CH of #31. He's generally considered underrated and is coming off a quarters run at Antwerp where he beat RBA and ultimately lost to Lloyd Harris.

Not sure where Rybo, Chappell, Gray, Widow or Lopez are this week although there is a Challenger in Vegas and several in Europe this week and Futures events in California (Calabasas) and Florida (Tallahassee).

The ITA Nationals are next week in San Diego for Aguilar, Maxted and Vives.

jake102

Norrie has traveled to Vienna for the ATP 500 tourney this week and he is scheduled to open against Marton Fucsovics in the Round of 32 tomorrow. Fucsovics is Hungarian with an ATP ranking of #39 and a CH of #31. He's generally considered underrated and is coming off a quarters run at Antwerp where he beat RBA and ultimately lost to Lloyd Harris.

Not sure where Rybo, Chappell, Gray, Widow or Lopez are this week although there is a Challenger in Vegas and several in Europe this week and Futures events in California (Calabasas) and Florida (Tallahassee).

The ITA Nationals are next week in San Diego for Aguilar, Maxted and Vives.

The good news is that Hurkacz pulled the wildcard Andy Murray in round 1.

Jared7

Norrie v. Fucsovics has been delayed until tomorrow but Murray v. Hurkacz has just started in Vienna. The winner between Cam and Fucsovics will probably get Auger-Alliaseme. The Vienna field is pretty strong - Rublev went to St. Petersburg and Zverev is not there, but virtually everyone else who was at Indian Wells went to Austria.

Nick Chappell is in Vegas for the Challenger qualies there. Yesterday, he beat Roy Smith 7-6, 6-7 6-2 and he will face Shintaro Mochizuki today.

Last edited:

Jared7

Good news for Norrie as Murray defeats Hurkacz in the first round at Vienna 6-4, 6-7, 6-3. Cam curently trails Hurkacz by 160 points in the race to Turin and now he just needs to win a few rounds to pass him. But he still has to watch out for Jannik Sinner, who trails Norrie by 200 points and FAA, who trails Norrie by about 400 points. If Cam and Auger-Alliasseme indeed face each other in the 2nd round (a big if), it could turn out to be a pivotal one.

jake102

Good news for Norrie as Murray defeats Hurkacz in the first round at Vienna 6-4, 6-7, 6-3. Cam curently trails Hurkacz by 160 points in the race to Turin and now he just needs to win a few rounds to pass him. But he still has to watch out for Jannik Sinner, who trails Norrie by 200 points and FAA, who trails Norrie by about 400 points. If Cam and Auger-Alliasseme indeed face each other in the 2nd round (a big if), it could turn out to be a pivotal one.

Called it on Hurkacz!

So getting to round 16 is worth 45 points, quarters 90, semis 180. But to reach semis would likely need to beat #2 seed Zverev

Jared7

If Cam could actually make the ATP Finals and effectively move into the Top 10 in the world, it would show what an epic rise he has made this year. At the beginning of the year, he had firmly established himself as a solid pro; he had a CH of 41 and then was in the 70's after falling off a little and missing all sorts of chances due to COVID. But I wasn't expecting titles and finals and so many top-level upsets. A Top 10 player is usually held to different standards - they are expected to be legitimate threats to win any ATP250 tourney they enter and they should expect regular appearances in the quarters or above in ATP500's, ATP1000's and Slams. Is Norrie really at that level? We've been complaining about his Slam and other draws all year, but at Indian Wells, he got a very favorable draw and then, as if by magic, everything opened up and all the favorites lost (Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas, Rublev, Ruud) and Cam, I think, kind of lucked into the title. Is it that the breaks are finally kind of evening out or has his game really improved that much?

In the race to Turin, he's 10th. 8 will be invited but not Nadal, so 9th is the goal. In the ATP rankings, he's 14th, but that's partially because he's still fighting the 104-week roll which is now probably down to a 80-90 week roll. I think he'll likely finish in the Top 10 in the year-end rankings. But he's got to play like a Top 10 player over the next few weeks and win the early rounds over lower-ranked opponents with relative ease at Vienna, Paris and Stockholm. Fucsovics is the first opponent this week. In February, I would have been concerned about whether Norrie would win; Fucsovics is ranked #39th, with a CH of #31. Hungary isn't all that far or different than Austria (for a long time, they shared a European Empire); he'll be the home favorite. It's scheduled for 7:20 a.m. (CDT).

Norrie was named today to the British Davis Cup team to play in the Davis Cup Finals in late November. He's the highest ranked Brit and will lead the team; Murray wasn't selected. He'll be expected to play in singles in two matches in each of the ties that Britain will play. It's an 18-team event and the Brits will open at Innsbruck in their group matches against France and Czechia.

Last edited:

jake102

I'm watching this match and I can't think of a surface much worse for Norrie. It's like playing on ice, incredibly fast.

They are in the tiebreaker now in 1st

Norrie pulls out the 1st set in a close tiebreaker. Whew.

Norrie wins 7-6. 6-1. Another 45 points closer

Last edited:

Jared7

And Norrie will play Felix Auger-Aliassime in the Round of 16 tomorrow. FAA beat Ricardas Berankis 3 and 2 this morning; he's ranked 12th and he's 12th in the Race to Turin as well.

In Vegas, Nick Chappell made the main draw yesterday at the Challenger. He lost to Mochizuki 7-5, 2-6, 2-6 but was a lucky loser and played a main draw Round of 32 match on the same day against Michael Mmoh and lost 2 and 1.

Last edited:

jake102

And Norrie will play Felix Auger-Aliassime in the Round of 16 tomorrow. FAA beat Ricardas Berankis 3 and 2 this morning; he's ranked 12th and he's 12th in the Race to Turin as well.

In Vegas, Nick Chappell made the main draw yesterday at the Challenger. He lost to Mochizuki 7-5, 2-6, 2-6 but was a lucky loser and played a main draw Round of 32 match on the same day against Michael Mmoh and lost 2 and 1.

Believe FAA is a really good indoor court player. Going to be tough

Longfrog

Man. Match points in 2nd set tiebreak, but Cam falls 6-2, 6-7(8), 4-6. Serving up 6-3 in the breaker, FAA hit two winners in a row, then got a forced error, ace, forced error to win the set.

From the stats sheet, seems like FAA took control once he stopped double faulting... 5 in the 1st set, 3 in the 2nd, 1 in the 3rd.

jake102

Tough result. Norrie has been ending up on top in these tight matches, strange for one to go the other way. But FAA's best surface is indoor and grass (fastest courts) while Norrie is probably close to the opposite.

Jared7

So Norrie gained on Hurkacz but is losing ground to both Sinner (who beat Novak) and FAA in Vienna in the Race to Turin. It's a 4-way battle for that last slot as we head into the Paris Masters 1000.

Jared7

The Race to Turin has really tightened at Vienna. After beating Norrie, FAA lost to Zverev in the quarters in 3 sets so he only went 1 round further than Cam. But Jannik Sinner upset Casper Ruud in the quarters and then today, he lost to Tiafoe in the semis, so he went 2 rounds further than Norrie. So, between the 4 contenders, the standings remain the same - Hurkacz, Norrie, Sinner and Auger-Aliassime - but the margins have narrowed significantly and all 4 remain in the chase for the final spot with Paris and Stockholm remaining.

Jared7

By going 2 rounds deeper than Norrie at Vienna, Jannik Sinner passed him to take over the 10th slot in the Race to Turin. The current standings are now:

8. Nadal - 2985 points (already announced that he's not going because of a foot injury)
9. Hurkacz - 2955
10. Sinner - 2845
11. Norrie - 2840
12. Auger-Aliassime - 2330

The battle is for the 9th slot - or 8th if they all pass Nadal.