• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis - 2020-2021

Longfrog

I’ve never seen a tournament where someone’s first match is on Thursday, even with a bye. Bizarre

Yeah that's pretty amazing. Over in Kitzbuhel Casper Ruud is about to start his first match as the last action of the day. Are they just trying to be more accommodating to the top guys who probably played the previous weekend?

Jared7

Well, like college football, tennis has long been a sport where allowances are made for the top players. And it looks like Cam is gradually becoming one of those guys. A couple of months ago, he made the finals at Estoril and lost, and then was scheduled to play the very next day at Madrid in the opening round, which led to his withdrawal. This time, after winning a title , he got the break of a bye and a delayed opening round. Kyrgios playing the late night match last night also helped to push their match to Thursday. Also, with the Olympics going on and taking the top players and the clay season not really ending in Europe as yet, Atlanta is probably struggling a bit to make their event top-notch. Raonic, the top seed, is only in the tourney because he got a wild card - he hasn't played since Miami and would not have qualified otherwise.

Norrie v. Kyrgios will be worth watching. If he's on, Kyrgios can beat anyone.

Longfrog

Norrie v. Kyrgios will be worth watching. If he's on, Kyrgios can beat anyone.

I remember watching them play in Atlanta in 2018 I think and Kyrgios was... not into it. I think he quit halfway through the 2nd set. Crowd was not impressed with the effort and let him know about it.

Jared7

Norrie and Fritz lost to Ebden and Smith 1-6, 6-7 (1-7) at Hotlanta last night so that's it for the doubles. Norrie v. Krygios is scheduled for 7:20 p.m. (CDT) tonight (almost certainly on the Tennis Channel).

Nakashima upset a very-out-of-shape #1 seed Milos Raonic yesterday, so the way is clearing for Cam, if and only if he can get by Krygios (the "bad boy" of pro tennis).

Jared7

Rybo and Widow are currently up 6-3, 3-4 in Lexington in doubles. Cam v. Kyrgios is scheduled to start in about 15 minutes (although Isner v. Sock may go to a third set and delay the start).

Rybakov/Stalder fall 4-6 in the 2nd set. On to the 3rd and deciding set. (Isner/Sock split sets, so Norrie and Kyrgios are delayed).

Last edited:

Longfrog

Nakashima upset a very-out-of-shape #1 seed Milos Raonic yesterday, so the way is clearing for Cam, if and only if he can get by Krygios (the "bad boy" of pro tennis).

And Sinner lost on the other side of the draw. Winner of Norrie/Kyrgios seems like the clear favorite.

Jared7

Cam gets the early break! 2-0!

And another break! 4-love! Kyrgios is not mentally into this yet.

Norrie takes the first set 6-1!

Kyrgios definitely into it now. 2-all in the 2nd.

4-all in the 2nd now. Tight.

Cam gets the late break! 5-4 and serving for the match!

Last edited:

Jared7

Cam takes out Kyrgios 1 and 4 relatively handily in less than an hour and he's into the quarters. He and Isner (who played at Georgia and has won this title 5 times) are probably the favorites now. Emil Ruusuvuori next.

Jared7

Rybo and Widow are scheduled to play their semi-final at the Lexington Challenger at 6:50 p.m. against Dennis Novikov and Christian Harrison.

Norrie's singles quarter-final against Emil Ruusuvuori is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. at Atlanta. Ruusuvuori is from Finland and is ranked ATP#78 and he advanced by beating Benoit Paire, who won the first set but then wilted in the heat and ended up withdrawing. His CH is #74; he's had a good year, notably beating Zverev at Miami, he's 10-12 overall in 2021, but he's been losing in the first round at the Slams.

Last edited:

jake102

Rybo and Widow are scheduled to play their semi-final at the Lexington Challenger at at 6:50 p.m. against Dennis Novikov and Christian Harriason.

Norrie's singles quarter-final against Emil Ruusuvuori is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. at Atlanta. Ruusuvuori is from Finland and is ranked ATP#78 and he advanced by beating Benoit Paire, who won the first set but then wilted in the heat and ended up withdrawing. His CH is #74; he's had a good year, notably beating Zverev at Miami, he's 10-12 overall in 2021, but he's been losing in the first round at the Slams.

The oddsmakers have Norrie as the Atlanta favorite at this point. Isner as the 2nd favorite.

jake102

Mini rant here: I'm fairly certain Norrie is never going to play his match today. Originally scheduled for the 2:30 slot, the match before him is Opelka vs Fritz. Basically two serve bots, especially Opelka. They split the first two sets in tiebreakers and the 3rd set is almost certainly headed the same way. Zero breaks of serve, and they have been playing for 2 hours and 15 minutes and it's only 2-2 in the 3rd set. Totally bizarre and not really tennis.

Jared7

Norrie ended up losing to Ruusuvuori 6-7, (1-7), 3-6, so he's out at Atlanta. Not a good L for Cam. He didn't play badly but he had a terrible 1st set tiebreaker, losing the first 6 points and then got broken twice in the 2nd. I wonder if he'll go to D.C. or take a week off to regroup. It was a very solid run for Cam, but he's no longer on fire like at Los Cabos.

But at Lexington, Rybo and Widow won a close one 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-3) to advance to the finals in doubles. They're scheduled to play Stefan Kozlov and Liam Draxl at 8:00 p.m. tonight for the title. This would be Rybo's 3rd doubles title this year and Stalder's first ever. A high doubles ranking could get both into tourneys they otherwise might not qualify for in singles.

Jared7

I think the next Masters 1000 event is in Toronto, the week after the Citi Open in D.C. I agree that Cam should take a week off until then. But he said that the reason he was not going to the Olympics was to increase his ranking and earn ATP points and even 250 events have them, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him in D.C. I suspect that this is precisely the conversation he's having with Facundo and the team tonight.

Jared7

The doubles final in Lexington between Rybo/Widow and Draxl/Kozlov has started. TCU trails 2-5 in the first set. Not looking good...

5-6 in the 2nd. Frogs serving to avoid the L and take it to a breaker.

In other tennis news, Djoker lost to Zverev in the semis at Tokyo and then lost to Carreno Busta in the bronze medal match. So no Golden Slam (nor even a medal).

Nakashima beat Ruusuvuori to make the finals at Atlanta v. Isner.

6-6! Into a breaker!

Last edited:

Jared7

Frogs take the breaker 7-5! So it's 2-6, 7-6 (7-5) and I think it'll go to a pro set tiebreak; which should be over quickly.

The Frogs fall 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-10. Making a final is nice, but a title would have been sweeter.

Last edited:

Jared7

Norrie should sit a week or two unless there’s a Masters event. He needs the break
Norrie is listed as playing at the Citi Open in D.C. this week - he's teaming with Luke Saville in doubles and their first round match is tomorrow against Joran Vliegen/Sander Gille. He's not listed in singles as yet, but if he's playing doubles, my bet is that he's also into the singles main draw.

Rybo (main draw) and Widow (qualies) are both listed as on the acceptance list for the Decatur (illinois) Futures tourney starting this week. I'm guessing the Frogs will once more team in doubles after their f

Lui Maxted apparently won the title of the 5-week-long Brit Premier League (a round robin multi-week event for the British pros not playing other tourneys) yesterday. He tweeted that that was his final event before heading to Texas to join TCU Tennis and that he was looking forward to getting together with "David" and Devin" soon. Alastair Gray and Jake Fearnley may also have played in that event, but articles about it are obscure and behind a paywall.