• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis - 2020-2021

Jared7

Well, it's good that he finally got a seed in a Slam, but it's really no different than the French when he had to play a GOAT contender in Nadal in the 3rd round and now form says he'll play another GOAT contender in Federer in the 3rd round. Federer is the #6 seed, so, in theory, Cam should be bracketed to play the #4 seed (Zverev). But I'm not sure if that might not be tougher. Whatever. Talking about Fed is getting way ahead of ourselves. (He's played Federer once, in the Hopman Cup exhibition in Perth, and lost).

Pouille could be tough to beat. They've played only once - at the 2018 French Open and Norrie lost 2-6, 4-6, 7-5, 6-7 (3-7). Given his hot streak and the home cooking and fan support in London, I suspect Cam will be favored, but not heavily. Pouille is currently ranked #96th.

Last edited:

jake102

Well, it's good that he finally got a seed in a Slam, but it's really no different than the French when he had to play a GOAT contender in Nadal in the 3rd round and now form says he'll play another GOAT contender in Federer in the 3rd round. Federer is the #6 seed, so, in theory, Cam should be bracketed to play the #4 seed (Zverev). But I'm not sure if that might not be tougher. Whatever. Talking about Fed is getting way ahead of ourselves. (He's played Federer once, in the Hopman Cup exhibition in Perth, and lost).

Pouille could be tough to beat. They've played only once - at the 2018 French Open and Norrie lost 2-6, 4-6, 7-5, 6-7 (3-7). Given his hot streak and the home cooking and fan support in London, I suspect Cam will be favored, but not heavily. Pouille is currently ranked #96th.

Yep. Certainly not a great draw but I feel like his odds of beating Federer at Wimbledon are about 3x beating Nadal at French.

And yeah, Pouille is a fallen angle type of guy. Was a top 30 guy for a long time and kind of fell off. Typical French player

Jared7

Wimbledon started this morning and it's weird to see everyone wearing white, which was very common everywhere 50 years ago, but hasn't been that way for some time. Cam Norrie, the 29th seed (and highest rated player worldwide out of the U.S. college ranks) at ATP#34, won't play today. He's still at TBD for tomorrow after intermittent rain delayed play for a little while this morning.

I'm guessing the ATP ranking sytsem rolled off some 2019 points because Alex Rybakov leapt to #404 in the world, his CH, without really doing a lot to deserve it. He's been playing a LOT of tourneys and been going a little deeper this Spring than in the past, but that hadn't made much difference until this week. I'm not sure where he is this week (my weekly "Where's Rybo" search yielded no results).

Nick Chappell is now #352 and he's the 8th seed in Bakio (Spain) this week where he will open up against Antoine Bellien. The reason he skipped Champaign last week was because he was in the qualies at Eastbourne but lost in the first round.

Gerardo Lopez Villasenor (or Jerry Lopez if you prefer English) and Juan Carlos Aguilar are both in Weston (Florida) this week. Jerry is #593 and Juan is #1100; Jerry's into the main draw; Juan into the qualies.

Tomas Jirousek (#848) is currently in Wroclaw (Poland) in the qualies. He won his first round yesterday.

There might well be other Frogs in action (Gray?; Maxted?), but those were all I could find.

MathFrog

Tier 1
There might well be other Frogs in action (Gray?; Maxted?), but those were all I could find.

Gray is also at Wimbledon but is only in the doubles tournament. He and partner Aidan McHugh were awarded a wildcard entry.

Alexander Maarten (Sander) Jong received a wildcard entry into the main draw at The Hague, and is also in the doubles tournament. Sander and Jesper De Jong won the doubles tournament at last week's tournament in Alkmaar.

Maxted played in the French Open juniors tournament. He may show up in the Wimbledon boys' draw announced later this week.

Jared7

I've been there for work. I do not recommend
I was there with the TCU Jazz Ensemble in June 1979. The jazz fans and the young Poles were terrific; the town was depressing. Of course, it used to be Breslau and part of Germany before the borders were shifted after WWII. Hopefully, it's changed since then and Tomas has a good time and plays well. He won another qualie round today - he needs to win his 3rd qualie to make the main draw.

Jared7

Norrie v. Pouille is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on Court 2. Unfortunately, the England v. Germany match is scheduled for about the same time, so the U.K.'s attention will be focused elsewhere.

Jerry Lopez (o Gerardo Lopez Villasenor si prefiere espanol) is scheduled for about the same time in Weston.

Jared7

Delay after delay after delay due to rain and wet courts. They might not even get Norrie/Pouille in (now scheduled for 12:20). But Federer is in trouble...

Jared7

Cam and Pouille have finally started - 1-1 early in the 1st. Jirousek won his 3rd qualie and is into the main draw at Wroclaw (against Filip Peliwo). Lopez's match was suspended (due to rain) in Florida. Chappell's first match in Spain is TBD. Federer survived with a walkover (due to an injury to Mannarino who was up 2 sets to 1 at one point).

Cam gets the early break - 2-1!

MathFrog

Tier 1
Delay after delay after delay due to rain and wet courts. They might not even get Norrie/Pouille in (now scheduled for 12:20). But Federer is in trouble...

Norrie/Pouille is scheduled to begin on Court 2 after Coco Gauff’s match ends, and she’s just wrapped up her win.

Pouille was essentially away from tennis for about a year and a half because of elbow problems and had surgery in July 2020.

jake102

Some super shaky tennis in the tiebreaker leads to Norrie blowing two set points and then losing the set on a double fault.

In the least shocking news ever, they are suspending play again for rain. I hate Wimbledon; tradition and setting is awesome, the courts and weather suck. And yeah, the courts are basically ice rinks from what I can tell.

Edit: My bad - they suspended because of light due to all the rain delays. Means that Norrie will probably finish at like 5am tomorrow

Last edited:

Jared7

Cam is playing much better today than yesterday (or maybe Pouille isn't), and the results are reflecting that so far. Up 2-1 in sets and 2-1 (on serve) in the 4th.

Jared7

Cam announced that he won't be playing in Tokyo at the Olympics after all; despite qualifying. Each country can field 4 players, so he could have gone if he wanted to, but nonetheless, there was a bit of a brouhaha when Andy Murray was selected to go and represent Great Britain. (Actually, as a former winner, Murray automatically has an exemption, so he could go anyway, but some fans read his selection as a dis of Cam, which it wasn't.)

Pouille up a break 3-2 in the 4th.

jake102

Norrie with the break back! Played some shaky and tough tennis in that game

And he gets broken at love in the very next game. Couldn't hit a decent first serve and Pouille played a wonderful game.

jake102

And in a remarkable game and a final remarkable break point, Norrie breaks back! The crowd loving it

And immediately hits a backhand into net. Hah. Come on Norrie