• The KillerFrogs

TCU MARCHING BAND

stell91

I think the TCU Band is already close to 300 (maybe around 280). At Rose Bowl time, a band member posted here that the Wisconsin band was also around 300. I asked why a big public university like that didn't have a band of 400+. It was explained to me that there comes a point of diminishing returns in band numbers -- that 300 is about the optimum number and that 400+ is too much because the marching formations become unwieldy.

Now I have no idea if any of that is true, but it's what was explained to me.

The band this year is actually a little under 200, right around 180.

researchfrog

There are diminishing returns. My extrapolation did not take into account the possibility that TCU would hold auditions for marching band or otherwise try to limit its size. If the band started to grow towards 400, I would suspect that TCU would try to limits its size to 250-300 via auditions. They might, perhaps, even relax the music major scholarship requirements.

Based on discussions I overheard between the then-music dean and other higher-ups (maybe Koehler?) during the Sun Bowl week, I learned they anticipated that the band would balloon to over 250 after the Sun Bowl if we continued winning.* This was based on their experiences with the Bluebonnet Bowl and the Independence Bowl. This did not happen. For one thing, then associate director of bands Velez had run off a number of students during the extremely hot summer of 1998. I recall some music majors even gave up their scholarships. The next year with Youngblood also caused some casualties, including me. After having ruminated on this subject for many years, I would guess that a lack of road trips to relatively nearby schools probably played a much bigger role in limiting the size of the band than anything else. It was a cheap way to travel, get out of town for a day, and see other schools.

* I just happened to end up sitting next to these guys on the plane trip out there and on various bus trips around El Paso.

nytexan70

I think unless you were in band you shouldn't give your opinions! The reason we do not have a bigger band is that if you look at enrollment numbers at TCU and compare those to the other Universities with bigger numbers we probably have a better percentage of students involved then that of Texas and OU!

ShivasFrog

Nope. Athletic department funds the marching band, and they call the tunes. They don't seem to care much about the halftime show, but they definitely have a say on what gets played in the stands.

Well, I stand corrected. Seems like I've read on KFC a number of times in the past that Bobby Francis runs the band and its repertoire and doesn't have to answer to the AD.

BIG DADDY

The Athletic Dept. DOES NOT fund the marching band. The only time that money is used from them is on bowl trips or possibly an extra road game that was not anticipated. This has been a point of contention for many yrs but will not change. The only thing that they call the shots on is when we can play during the stands because they dont want their precious commercials played over.

Raw Frog

No, I'm not involved with band stuff anymore. When you say post the fight song, do you mean like this?:
My link
I don't know how to get the YouTube screen on my post. Sorry.

Thanks QuilterFrawg...yes, that is great! The only thing better would be for video of the band playing it.
Maybe Wes can pin it ?
rolleyes.gif

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The Athletic Dept. DOES NOT fund the marching band. The only time that money is used from them is on bowl trips or possibly an extra road game that was not anticipated. This has been a point of contention for many yrs but will not change. The only thing that they call the shots on is when we can play during the stands because they dont want their precious commercials played over.

I am still looking for a remote for that danged big screen that has a big MUTE button...

Screaming Flea

I think unless you were in band you shouldn't give your opinions.

Not a bright remark to post.

I'm not a member in the government either but I do have an opinion.

Most likely before you were born, TCU had a marketing brand it used for its motto. It was... The Show Window of TCU. It is a show window of the university. It encourages pride in fans and alumni and this time it's a window to our fellow Texas neighbors and friends to TCU. I don't have stats to support this statement, but I'll bet you lunch there are schools in these United States with enrollment figures less than TCU have good sized bands.

There appears to be a reluctance to increase the band size and change its half-time programs. Granted size does not indicate quality of the sound but when the band faces away a few degrees the volume drops so dramatically people think three-fourths of them have stopped playing. Many times I have taken visitors to games only to have have them question the quality of the band because you can't hear them. The average visitor doesn't take time to understand harmonics.

Allen High School marches 700 or 800 in there band. They don't move much but you can sure hear them and that is what people talk about during and at the end of the program. In some things size does matter. Combine size, volume, creativity and quality and you've got something special. If you ever get a chance, watch the Ohio State band. Listen to them.. When they march out of the tunnel fans get so revved up,the hair stands up on your back of your neck. (ck You Tube osu ramp entrance 2010 vs Miami) They march around 250 + or -.

Big Frog II

As for the band I just have a few requests:

1. Play much louder at football games and not quite so loud at basketball games.
2. For the love of God, play Deep in the Heart of Texas the original way. I don't care if John Philip Souza himself arranged the jazzy version, it stinks.

researchfrog

I think unless you were in band you shouldn't give your opinions! The reason we do not have a bigger band is that if you look at enrollment numbers at TCU and compare those to the other Universities with bigger numbers we probably have a better percentage of students involved then that of Texas and OU!

Pretty sure UT limits its numbers through auditions. OU's website also shows audition dates.

AEAfrog

There appears to be a reluctance to increase the band size and change its half-time programs. Granted size does not indicate quality of the sound but when the band faces away a few degrees the volume drops so dramatically people think three-fourths of them have stopped playing. Many times I have taken visitors to games only to have have them question the quality of the band because you can't hear them. The average visitor doesn't take time to understand harmonics.

Allen High School marches 700 or 800 in there band. They don't move much but you can sure hear them and that is what people talk about during and at the end of the program. In some things size does matter. Combine size, volume, creativity and quality and you've got something special. If you ever get a chance, watch the Ohio State band. Listen to them.. When they march out of the tunnel fans get so revved up,the hair stands up on your back of your neck. (ck You Tube osu ramp entrance 2010 vs Miami) They march around 250 + or -.

TCU accepts all who wish to participate in the band. There are no try-outs like they have at UT or OU. I think the size will increase due to the conference change but it's not as if the band staff were intentionally limiting the size before.

asleep003

TCU accepts all who wish to participate in the band. There are no try-outs like they have at UT or OU. I think the size will increase due to the conference change but it's not as if the band staff were intentionally limiting the size before.
And give these selfless kids some spats...

Does it look like the band and dance team are moving farther south in the stands? looks like they chopped a larger portion of wall south of the old opening, and removed the steps from the old one. can someone get photos to confirm?

Raw Frog

So, a student would not have to be a music major to be in the band? I would sure hope not, as it would really seem to limit a lot of kids that would like to participate in it.
I would hope that the TCU Marching Band has some sort of presence during orientation to let the newbies know what it is and where they can go to seek more information about joining. It looks like it is going to be a lot more fun with the proximity of the Big 12 games and mixing it up with big time programs on a regular basis.
Looks to me that the Band needs to reassess the way they have been doing it, like our football coaches will, so they can modify things to make it better if they want to. Hopefully they will, and band members can fill us in on what is going on.

BIG DADDY

Yes it is true that you dont have to be a TCU student to be in the band. There used to be a goodly number of students from TCC, UTA, and even University of North Texas, but those numbers have dwindled due to the fact that TCU's extended ed charges over 600.00 for the .5 hour marching band credit.

As for the numbers getting larger because of proximity to games and more access to road games, I dont think that is anticipated because of alot of students are burned out by the time they get to college and those that do it are dedicated. also the time commitment is a factor. Believe it or not after the Rose bowl season we lost more kids then normal because of all the events. Yes i know that it shouldnt be that way but it is. Those students were exit interviewed and they stated that too many events is what cause them to leave the organization. And no it wasn't the band exhibitions because there are only 2 maybe three of those.