• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2021-2022

JogginFrog

Lois Lau finishes T23 in the European Ladies Amateur. That's a good result in a strong field, including scores of 66 and 67 over the 72-hole event.

JogginFrog

Hoge birdies the 14th in Minnesota to move into solo 4th, 3 shots back of the lead.

Barjon had moved into the top 20, but rinsed two coming in and will finish around T31.

Update: Hoge finishes T4; he bumps up 1 spot to 16th in the FedEx Cup standings. Barjon finishes T31; Henry T72 -- his third made cut in his past 5 events.

Last edited:
Hoge birdies the 14th in Minnesota to move into solo 4th, 3 shots back of the lead.

Barjon had moved into the top 20, but rinsed two coming in and will finish around T31.

Update: Hoge finishes T4; he bumps up 1 spot to 16th in the FedEx Cup standings. Barjon finishes T31; Henry T72 -- his third made cut in his past 5 events.
I didn’t realize how tall Hoge is until I saw him standing next to Finau. I always assumed Hoge was kind of short.

correct me if i am wrong, but is height how you compare golfers

golfer-ty-webb.jpg

Last edited:

JogginFrog

At least three former Frogs made the cut at the Texas State Open, which wraps up tomorrow at The Cascades in Tyler. J.J. Killeen was T7 at the halfway mark with a pair of 67s; the West Texas Driving Range Pro has lost a little ground today; with a hole to play, he's T16 at -5.

Hayden Springer is T30 (-3) and Andrew Presley is 54th (+1).

Follow here: https://ntpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ntpga22/event/ntpga2224/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Edit: Hayden Springer shoots a final round 67 to finish as low Frog at T18. Killeen was T50, Presley T53.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Both of TCU's incoming men's golf commits were in action in Dallas this week at the AJGA Under Armour/Jordan Spieth Championship, along with son-of-Frog Connor Henry. All three posted impressive results in a 54-player field.

Andrew Spaulding finished T2 at -6 over 54 holes at Trinity Forest.
Connor Henry was T4 at -5.
Jack Beauchamp finished T8 at -1. It was his second straight AGJA top-10 finish.

Both incoming Frogs closed with final-round 67s.

JogginFrog

The Alps Tour has several weeks off, and Stefano Mazzoli is able to get some starts on the Challenge Tour in the meantime. He's making the most of this week's start in Ireland at -9 through 36 holes, 2 shots off the pace.

Former Frog Jeong Weon Ko is also in the top 20.

JogginFrog

Not TCU related, but I don't think I've ever seen a tournament as chalky as the U.S. Junior, the final of which is being played at Bandon Dunes today. Quarters featured 7 of the 9 top-ranked ams in the field. Final features the top two, and one of them beat last year's champ in the semis.

Edit: China's Wenyi Ding wins. Doubt that he was trying to help Caleb Surratt "save face" by taking 6 holes to close out an 8-up dormie lead, but it worked out that way.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

St. Patrick got rid of the snakes (apocryphal) but what about the Frogs? Former TCU players in 3 of the last 4 groups today at the Irish Challenge at the K Club. Mazzoli, Ravetto and Ko are on their last few holes now--all in a big group at T9. A good finish could move them at high as 5th; a bad finish could put them outside the top 20.

Update: Ko birdies the last to finish T5. Ravetto bogeys to finish T17. Mazzoli doubles to finish T21. And out early, Alexander Knappe shoots 66 to jump to T25. Four Frogs finish in the top 25 of a pro event.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

A former Frog is playing in the finals of the Western Am today. F de O qualified as the 4th seed for match play out of a (edit: 156-player) field, then beat Florida's Yuxin Lin, Vandy's Cole Sherwood and UT's Travis Vick in match play to make the final against UNC's Austin Greaser, who made the U.S. Am final last summer. https://www.golfchannel.com/topic/western-amateur

Last edited:
A former Frog is playing in the finals of the Western Am today. F de O qualified as the 4th seed for match play out of a (edit: 156-player) field, then beat Florida's Yuxin Lin, Vandy's Cole Sherwood and UT's Travis Vick in match play to make the final against UNC's Austin Greaser, who made the U.S. Am final last summer. https://www.golfchannel.com/topic/western-amateur
Beating Travis Vick is no small feat. He’s playing pro level golf, in my opinion.

JogginFrog

Knappe and Ko each with a top-10 on the Euro Challenge Tour--second good finish for each in as many weeks. Knappe due to his win earlier this year is 12th on the Order of Merit; that may have him in line for promotion to the DP World Tour.

Speaking of the leading Euro circuit, current Frog Filippo Celli got a start on that tour this week in Wales. He missed the cut by 4, and also gave this interview. The last question was whether his result at St. Andrews changed his plans to continue playing amateur (college) golf. He said he plans to stay amateur through the end of the year and then assess. Since he has skipped fall semesters to play the Italian Open in September, that may not bode well for a return to TCU next season.

JogginFrog

Glanced at the text of the LIV golf complaint today. Here's what it says about college golfers (p. 55):
174. Then, unsatisfied with prohibiting all current Tour members from participating in LIV Golf events, the Tour extended its threat college golfers, explaining that if they played in any LIV Golf events they would be banned from entry into the PGA Tour University program, which provides top college golfers entry into the Tour’s developmental tour (Korn Ferry Tour). Again, this action served no procompetitive purpose, but was simply aimed at thwarting competition by preventing LIV Golf from being able to secure top golfers to participate in its tournaments.
The one plaintiff who is a recent college player is Andy Ogletree, who has status on the Korn Ferry Tour but who had not qualified for the PGA Tour or KFT event the week of the London LIV event but whose appeal for a release was denied because LIV had scheduled future events in the U.S. From p. 57:
Mr. Ogletree informed the Tour that he had “spent thousands and thousands of dollars” in his unsuccessful effort to play in Korn Ferry Tour and PGA Tour events. He asked the PGA Tour: “Should I just sit at home on my couch next week and not make any money? It seems like this is your stance.”
And from Golf.com, an interesting quote from John Daly about the future of LIV and college golf:
"I think they’re probably going to go after young college kids, which would be smart. They’re really good. That way, if they don’t play too good on the LIV, they haven’t committed to the tours, so the Tour can’t really say yes or no. You can go out and apply for your Tour card, go to school, get some Korn Ferry stuff, because they’ve never been a member of it. That’s where I kind of see LIV going."

JogginFrog

The U.S. Women's Amateur is underway at Chambers Bay. TCU's Sabrina Iqbal will be on course in about an hour. She is currently the 101st-ranked amateur; 8 of the top 32 in WAGR are in the 156-player field; if that proportion holds true across the rankings, Sabrina would be around the 25th-best player in the field and a good bet to qualify for match play (top 64 after 36 holes of stroke play). The cut in recent years has fallen at +4, and early scoring suggests the cut will be close to that number again.

Follow progress here: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2022/u-s--women-s-amateur.html#!scoring