• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2021-2022

flyfishingfrog

Berzina played poorly at Shady and lost to Jan by 1 in the qualifier overall. They took top 5 guys from qualifier. Can’t argue that logic. Can argue whether or not a qualifier for a tournament at colonial should have been played entirely at colonial and not included rivercrest and shady
I don’t ever understand the logic of choosing a 4-5 round total over 3 courses over a lower 2 round total at the actual course you will be playing

The Nike isn’t a normal out of town tournament for TCU - Coach M should know already who plays it best and just checking if they are on their game before final selection

Can’t imagine two courses both in ft worth could play as differently as Shady and Colonial do right now from the bunkers to the elevation changed to the green complexes and speeds

JogginFrog

Julien Brun posts another Top 5 at the Swiss Challenge (part of the challenge is that it's not played in Switzerland). He is now ranked in the top 200 in the world. Alexander Knappe was a shot back at T8, but he needed a few shots better to get into position for promotion to the Euro Tour. David Ravetto had a final-round 64 to get a back-door T25.

Sanna Nuutinen had a ho-hum T14 at the LET's event in Spain but earned enough to push her back into second on the Order of Merit.

JogginFrog

If someone would like to go watch the tournament tomorrow is there somewhere they should park? Apologies if I wasn’t specific enough in the other post.

Apologies Farmfrog. Thought you were making a reference to the Colonial thread from May with people balking at the all-inclusive pricing. Not in the area so have no idea where to park unless it's on the street near campus. Maybe some of those who frequent Colonial can give suggestions.

I think you can assume there won't be concessions, but not certain of that either.

JogginFrog

Thanks for the link, @gohornedfrogs. Interested to hear comments from those who make it out to see the action. TCU is paired with last year's NCAA champ Pepperdine, whose lineup includes 5 returnees and 4 of the starters from the national championship matches. Seven players on last year's Pepperdine team were ranked in the top 109 nationally. Filling out the pairing is Vanderbilt.

JogginFrog

TCU's afternoon round (+14) dropped the Frogs into 6th place as a team. It wasn't great, but it was typical of the scores the team puts up in practice. (That is to say, their a.m. round was outstanding more than the p.m. round was disappointing.) No teams broke par in the afternoon session--the best was Oklahoma State's +1. Pepperdine leads overall.

Frogs are on the course for Round 3; paired with Florida and Georgia today.

Individually Justin Gums (+1, T12) led TCU despite an 8 on his card. Jacob Skov Oleson and Aymeric Laussot begin the last round at +3 (T21).

Schneider, who shot 74-75 at Colonial in qualifying last week, posted 75-74 yesterday.

JogginFrog

Stanford plays the round of the tournament; -11 today. They hold off Oklahoma to win by 1.

Considering how the Frogs struggled on the Stanford course, I'm not sure why the Cardinal couldn't return the favor at our place.

Edit: Frogs shoot +4 for the day and finish 6th. They defeat #4 Texas, #7 Clemson, #10 Vanderbilt, #13 Georgia, and #20 Florida. The 5 teams that finish ahead of them are ranked 1, 2, 3, 17 & 19.

Justin Gums earns his second straight top-10 finish. Great to see him emerge as a major contributor.

Colonial does its usual excellent job of confirming top talent. Of the 13 players in the field ranked among the top 30 world amateurs, 8 finish T13 or better.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

If someone would like to go watch the tournament tomorrow is there somewhere they should park? Apologies if I wasn’t specific enough in the other post.
Farmfrog, did you make it out to Colonial for the tournament? Interested to hear your thoughts or those of others who caught the action.

Farmfrog

Farmfrog, did you make it out to Colonial for the tournament? Interested to hear your thoughts or those of others who caught the action.
I actually got to see most of the first round. Frogs were playing really good but I had to leave early. Some of those guys hit the hell out of the ball it’s crazy. I had a nice time.

JogginFrog

TCU men are in action again tomorrow (edit: Monday) at Houston Oaks in the Big 12 Match Play tournament.

Frogs are seeded 6th, which looks right. Besides the traditional powers, Kansas has won twice in three starts and is 9th in the early Golfweek/Sagarin rankings. Surprised Tech is seeded above the Jayhawks, actually.

Frogs will be playing in Pool B with Oklahoma State (2), Texas (3), Baylor (7) and Iowa State (10). TCU will play a match against each team Sunday through Tuesday morning. A final cross-pool match will be played Tuesday afternoon to determine final standings.

Baylor has surprisingly won the event twice in three years.

TCU hasn't posted its lineup yet, but should be available later today at http://results.golfstat.com/public/...m?pg=participants&tid=24154&x=0.0790195123144. Can also following scoring there.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Frogs post their lineup for the Big 12 Match Play championship: Oleson, Frimodt, Laussot, Gums & Berzina. All but Gums played in the event last year, when TCU went 2-3 in team matches using 6-player lineups.

While the Frogs were a disappointing 11-17-2 in individual matches last year, the four who are back this year went 9-9-2. Oleson was the standout, going 4-1.

The preview on GoFrogs.com also gives TCU's schedule--they will play Texas Monday a.m., have a bye Monday p.m., OSU on Tuesday a.m., Baylor on Tuesday p.m. and Iowa State on Wednesday a.m.

JogginFrog

Tom Hoge pushing toward a top-20 finish in Vegas with 6 holes to play.

Update: Hoge knocks in a birdie from 24 feet at the last to finish with a bogey-free 66 and a -15 total. Currently T12; will probably wind up around T15.

Last edited: