• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2021-2022

JogginFrog

If you'd have told me that two Frogs would be in the top 10 of a 90-player field this week, I'd have said that TCU would be no worse than 4th place. As it is, Caitlyn Macnab (-5, T7) and Sabrina Iqbal (-4, T9) are playing well in Tucson, but spotty down-card support has Frogs in 10th as a team. (Meanwhile, Kortnie Barrett's San Jose State Spartans have the lead with 18 holes to play.) Eighteen holes left to gain ground.

JogginFrog

Caitlyn Macnab is making a run in the final round of the MountainView Collegiate. She is -4 for the day, -9 for the tournament, and 2 back of the lead with 6 holes to play.

If you'd have told me that two Frogs would be in the top 10 of a 90-player field this week, I'd have said that TCU would be no worse than 4th place. As it is, Caitlyn Macnab (-5, T7) and Sabrina Iqbal (-4, T9) are playing well in Tucson, but spotty down-card support has Frogs in 10th as a team. (Meanwhile, Kortnie Barrett's San Jose State Spartans have the lead with 18 holes to play.) Eighteen holes left to gain ground.
Yeah, they need to stick with Trinity King from now on.

JogginFrog

James Hart du Preez earns what's likely the biggest check of his pro career--almost 50,000 euros--for a T5 finish in Johannesburg. Good for him.

Edit: I'm guessing that also earns him entry into the next DP World Tour event, the Qatar Masters.

JogginFrog

By the way, I didn't notice until today that du Preez's first-round 63 included a bogey-bogey finish. He was 11-under through 16 and on 59 watch.
A highlight from that round:

JogginFrog

Caitlyn Macnab follows up her T2 in Phoenix with a T3 in Tucson. Her finish percentage for March is 96.8%. Outstanding.

Sabrina Iqbal was not far behind, finishing T10.

Those two are now very close in scoring average for the year. I have Iqbal at 70.81 (-19), with Macnab at 70.95 (-16). TCU has never had a player on the women's side average under par for a full year. Tougher setups come at year end, but both players are having an outstanding season with 3+ top 10s.

Former Frog Jennie Park also picked up her third top 10 of the spring for A&M. Would have been nice to have those scores on the TCU card, but the change of scenery seems to have helped her.

As a team, TCU ended up finishing 9th. It was a weird tournament. Texas Tech and San Jose State both shot out of the gate in round 1, going -11 and -8 over their first 6 holes on the easier back nine. When the Frogs began +6 through six on the more difficult front nine, they were in a huge hole before the dew was gone, and they never quite recovered. Frogs beat both of those teams today.

JogginFrog

Tom Hoge gets the 33rd seed at the WGC Match Play in Austin. He draws Billy Horschel, Thomas Pieters and Min Woo Lee for pool play.

Also, Hoge's generosity to support junior golf in north Texas was highlighted this week.

Last edited:

First Tee Frog

Tom Hoge gets the 33rd seed at the WGC Match Play in Austin. He draws Billy Horschel, Thomas Pieters and Min Woo Lee for pool play.
I had him out last week and he is really swinging it well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him make a run this week. Needs to putt better than he has been but as well as he his hitting his irons he can apply a ton of pressure to opponents

JogginFrog

I had him out last week and he is really swinging it well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him make a run this week. Needs to putt better than he has been but as well as he his hitting his irons he can apply a ton of pressure to opponents
He fell into a huge hole in his matchup with Thomas Pieters (5 down thru 8) but has birdied 5 of the last 6 and is now only 1 down with 4 to play.

Edit: Now 2 down with 3 to play. Big birdie by Pieters to shift the momentum.

Caitlyn Macnab becomes the second Frog to earn the choicest opportunity in women's amateur golf: a spot in the Augusta National Women's Amateur. She'll be teeing it up on Wednesday at Champions Retreat with an opportunity to make it through to Friday's final round at Augusta National. Here's her bio on the ANWA site: https://www.anwagolf.com/en_US/players/player_101535.html?promo=bio_players
I think it’s ridiculous they don’t play all the rounds at Augusta National.

JogginFrog

I think it’s ridiculous they don’t play all the rounds at Augusta National.
I suspect it has to do with and not wanting to shut down course access for 4 full days just a couple of weeks before the Masters. Pros are getting in practice (like Tiger today). I can understand that, but if you consider 72 players worthy of an invitation, let them all play a competitive round at AN. It is a tease and a weird highbrow thing to say, "You're good enough to get an invitation but you still have to prove your worthiness to compete on our iconic golf course."

By the way, Sabrina Iqbal didn't miss qualifying for a second ANWA by much. After auto-invites to champs of various am events, the top 30 U.S. players get in and then the 30 highest-ranked players regardless of country. That means that Americans ranked up to 130th in WAGR all get invites. Sabrina is currently 166th. At least one player in the field is ranked lower (Mychael O'Berry at 171), but she was ranked above Sabrina a month ago. Too bad, because she is in better form this spring than she was last spring and would have had a better shot of making the cut.

JogginFrog

Caitlyn Macnab finishes her first round at Champions Retreat at +2, which is currently T23 with 11 others. (Several players are still on the course.) I think she'll be happy with that--the best score in the clubhouse is -1. She'll have a good chance to make the cut (top 30) tomorrow.

Biggest surprise so far is top-ranked Rose Zhang at +5 through 17.

Pic of Caitlyn from today's action: https://photo-assets.anwagolf.com/images/pics/large/h_2022033065967.jpg

JogginFrog

After a long rain delay, second round in Augusta is underway. The ANWA site is showing action on 9 and 18; starting on the second 9, Caitlyn just made the most of her camera time by making birdie on 18 to get to +1; she's now T6, just 2 shots off the lead (and 3 shots inside the cutline).

Update: Macnab lost a shot on her last hole--I'm not a fan of waiting to blow the horn until players can't see to read greens. She'll have 6 holes left in round 2 tomorrow. Hoping she keeps her eyes on the lead (Even) instead of worrying about the cut line (+4 will be safe; playoff for the final spots will probably fall at +5).

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Caitlyn made 2 bogies coming home which probably drops her out of contention to win but safely made the cut. She will get two rounds at Augusta. Practice today and then tournament round Saturday.
Those bogeys on the par 5s hurt, but Caitlyn is off to a solid start at Augusta National--just picked up her first birdie on 6. She is four back of the leaders.

You can catch bits of the action on Golf Channel. Coverage starts in full at 11 Central. https://www.anwagolf.com/en_US/watch/index.html

Update: Caitlyn birdied the 12th hole at Amen Corner to get back to Even for the day, +4 for the tournament. She's 4 back of the lead.

Last edited: