• The KillerFrogs

TCU Football Releases 2019 Football Depth Chart

McFroggin

If it's an obvious passing situation then there's really no difference between a flex TE and a slot receiver. He doesn't need to gain any weight to play in the slot.

I don't know what the fascination is of having production from the TE position just for the sake of having production from the TE position. If you bring in a really good TE then you'll get the production. Until then, just get your best weapons on the field. If Stephens is one of the best weapons then I'm all for having him on the field. Whether he's labeled as a TE or not while he's out there is completely irrelevant.

Coaches have made it abundantly clear that we desire a good pass catching TE. The problem is that all that we’ve successfully recruited have been busts/.

y2kFrog

This Anderson thing is a joke man. You really don't think every good, talented kid at every school in the nation doesn't want carries/touches? If i hear one more time that the reason we are benching the best RB in 20 years is he "cant block" or has some "attitude issues" I will drive my car off a cliff. That's just obscene. We finally get the talented kids and pure talent level we have begged for for years, and we [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] on them. How's that make sense? We aren't the only school to ever get kids with talent that have a little ego. Play the talent. TCU does some bizarre thing where if we don't find them under the radar, change their position 6 times, and declare they have "Frog factor" then we must hate them! grow up. When Anderson rushes for 1200 yards next year in the NFL none of you can claim he was a TCU guy. BC you all shat on him

You do know the coaches are going to put the 11 guys on the field who give us the best chance to win. If they think DA is the third string back, there is probably a reason.

LawFrog504

You do know the coaches are going to put the 11 guys on the field who give us the best chance to win. If they think DA is the third string back, there is probably a reason.
Do you truly believe, deep in your heart, that Emeri Demarcado is a better running back than Darius Anderson? Really? If so, then we have watched 2 different players the past few seasons.

Spoiler- he's not in the same galaxy as DA. Not close. Nor is Julius Lewis better than Noah Daniels. However, this staff continues to shun/send messages to the more talented players (who yes, may have a tiny bit more ego) and the on field performance suffers.

ticketfrog123

Do you truly believe, deep in your heart, that Emeri Demarcado is a better running back than Darius Anderson? Really? If so, then we have watched 2 different players the past few seasons.

Spoiler- he's not in the same galaxy as DA. Not close. Nor is Julius Lewis better than Noah Daniels. However, this staff continues to shun/send messages to the more talented players (who yes, may have a tiny bit more ego) and the on field performance suffers.

I understand where you’re coming from, but it’s a pre-summer camp depth chart and Darius is coming off an injury. Maybe a minor motivator for rehab, who knows.

You absolutely will have a valid point come game 1 if “messages” are being sent and we lose games because of it.

LawFrog504

I understand where you’re coming from, but it’s a pre-summer camp depth chart and Darius is coming off an injury. Maybe a minor motivator for rehab, who knows.

You absolutely will have a valid point come game 1 if “messages” are being sent and we lose games because of it.
No doubt, it's early, but I just get concerned because it's been this way the past 2 years and it just feels like more of the same

LawFrog504

Say what? J Lewis was one of the top ranked CBs in the Big 12 last year. Daniels is going to be great, but let's just enjoy having three very good CBs on the roster
When you get off work, plug in the Ohio State tape. JL got exposed so bad they subbed in ND, who balled. Lewis is a liability

Eight

No doubt, it's early, but I just get concerned because it's been this way the past 2 years and it just feels like more of the same

not trying to go down a rabbit hole, but the idea that tcu has at times favored older players and players who 'bled' for the program is nothing new.

gary has always been incredibly loyal to his coaches and his players and has shown the same with them.

jake102

When you get off work, plug in the Ohio State tape. JL got exposed so bad they subbed in ND, who balled. Lewis is a liability

So you want me to watch one game? I remember the play Lewis got pulled on, it was 3rd and long and he gave up the 1st down marker on a comeback. Pretty sure the guy dropped it fortunately, certainly a brain slip by Lewis.

Lewis played great last year. And Daniels played really well when he came into the game. CB play isn't even close to something that hurt the team.

LawFrog504

So you want me to watch one game? I remember the play Lewis got pulled on, it was 3rd and long and he gave up the 1st down marker on a comeback. Pretty sure the guy dropped it fortunately, certainly a brain slip by Lewis.

Lewis played great last year. And Daniels played really well when he came into the game. CB play isn't even close to something that hurt the team.
Watch the third play of the game, when Haskins went 50 yards over the top as JL was torched.

Lewis isn't terrible, but he's a 3rd corner on a good team. ND has the ability and physical tools to be a 1-2 round draft choice, he needs to see the field. Ask the Ohio State receivers if he can play

CountryFrog

The fascination people have with the TE position has more to do with the staff having said they want to bring in a pass catching TE and the fact the TE/H-Backs have been kicking us in the ass since we joined the B12. It’s pretty clear on the recruiting trail that we have made the position a priority.

As for production...we have no idea if we have a good TE as we don’t give them a chance to make plays..
I have no doubt there staff WANTS a really good TE and are trying to get one. My assumption is that they want really good players at every position. The TE's who have hurt us have been really good players. We play plenty of teams with TE's who do nothing against us because those teams don't have really good players at that position.

It seems like some people on here (not necessarily you because I don't know your personal take on this) act as if there's some magical quality about throwing to a TE. That if we could just start throwing lots of passes to a TE then our offense will take the next step. I'm not sure where that idea comes from. There's no doubt that it's better to have a really good TE than not but ultimately as long as you have really good receivers then it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Especially in college.

I'm sure if we had a special talent at the position then we would throw them the ball a lot. We haven't had that, though, so we have used TE's as blockers and not much more as a result. We had a TE who almost cost us a game last year with his very limited targets in that game so I certainly had no desire to see MORE passes to that position in 2018.

CountryFrog

Coaches have made it abundantly clear that we desire a good pass catching TE. The problem is that all that we’ve successfully recruited have been busts/.
I have no doubt the coaches want really good players at every position. When they bring one in to play TE then that guy will get lots of passes thrown his way.

CountryFrog

Not to be a pain, but he absolutely deserved more carries over Kyle Hicks during Kyle’s senior season.

Who knows if he was “benched” but he deserves the rock no doubt
Kyle Hicks was a very good player and earned his playing time in lots of different ways. If Anderson did more of the things that Hicks did on and off the field then he'd probably get more playing time too. Anderson has also had some kind of injury keeping him out of practices and games throughout his time here. If you don't practice much then you're not going to play as much.

jake102

Kyle Hicks was a very good player and earned his playing time in lots of different ways. If Anderson did more of the things that Hicks did on and off the field then he'd probably get more playing time too. Anderson has also had some kind of injury keeping him out of practices and games throughout his time here. If you don't practice much then you're not going to play as much.

Agree with the practice/staying healthy piece, Anderson has spent a lot of time on the DNP list. Disagree with the off the field stuff. Unless you are breaking team rules, it shouldn't have any impact on your playing time.

ticketfrog123

You can’t call somebody else a “complete moron” and then follow up with this as an answer. It’s 100% insane to think that Kyle “rightly” earned more playing time than Darius from off the field activities.

Darius averages 8 YPC while Kyle had 5 in 2016
Darius averages 6 YPC while Kyle had 4.6 in 2017