• The KillerFrogs

TCU Football Releases 2019 Football Depth Chart

Eight

Blackshear was always a no brainer..However my guess is there is probably a very high amount smoke and messages being sent with this chart...

the idea that a guy who has struggled to stay healthy at so carolina is a no brainier i think reinforces the questions at de which will be critical for this defense

there is potential, but a great deal of unknown in each of the four players listed on that depth chart at defensive end.

same can be said at linebacker. montrel has struggled to get back on the field the past two years and we don't know if he can stand up to the week to week pounding playing inside, wallow is undersized and struggled tackling last year, holmes is really fast going forward but we don't know about his instincts, and then we have ben wilson who i think when he finally got a chance showed good instincts

i don't think that defensive depth chart will be the same when texas comes to town. those first three games are going to be very interesting for who claims minutes and who the staff feel they can trust.

i also think the idea that undersized linebackers fit the the offenses of the big 12 is not accurate with miles to kansas, the new staffs at tech and state, and texas
, ou, and baylor favoring the power run games

Last edited:

Froggish

the idea that a guy who has struggled to stay healthy at so carolina is a no brainier i think reinforces the questions at de which will be critical for this defense

there is potential, but a great deal of unknown in each of the four players listed on that depth chart at defensive end.

same can be said at linebacker. montrel has struggled to get back on the field the past two years and we don't know if he can stand up to the week to week pounding playing inside, wallow is undersized and struggled tackling last year, holmes is really fast going forward but we don't know about his instincts, and then we have ben wilson who i think when he finally got a chance showed good instincts

i don't think that defensive depth chart will be the same when texas comes to town. those first three games are going to be very interesting for who claims minutes and who the staff feel they can trust.

i also think the idea that undersized linebackers fit the the offenses of the big 12 is as accurate with miles to kansas, the new staffs at tech and state, and texas
, ou, and baylor favoring the power run games

Defensive will have a lot of athleticism but Plant, Blackshear, and Workman all making the 2 deep is about as red alert as it gets...I don’t recall us being this questionable at DE in a decade..Bowen didn’t even make the 2 deep? Message or is his injury worse then thought

TX_Krötenechse

I get the athleticism angle, but we need to start fielding some bigger linebackers. Our defense was best last season with Ty at LB, and the best LB tandem we’ve had in the B12 featured guys who weighed 240 plus.

netty2424

Bowen not even on two deep as a Junior?
Is he still here? Did I miss something on him leaving?

All we’ve heard is he’s a freak athlete for years now.

Eight

Bowen not even on two deep as a Junior?
Is he still here? Did I miss something on him leaving?

All we’ve heard is he’s a freak athlete for years now.

bowen has struggled to stay healthy and i could be wrong, but i don't think he has gotten through a full season healthy.

frogs front 6 on defense has some potential, but you have a group of guys who have to stay healthy start getting to some reps in practice and games

i think on the offensive line the idea of austin playing guard to me stresses that ct is looking to put his 5 best offensive linemen on the field at one time.

jake102

It always looks like a pre-season world beater on paper; then the injuries and we find out what we really have.
Just stay healthy for once.

Go ahead and remove M Wilson and Blackshear from the depth chart and see how you feel.

My top 5 questions:
1) QB. So much this.
2) DE - can Blackshear stay healthy and can Plant or Workman contribute?
3) LB - when M Wilson goes down, who steps up?
4) WR - looks thin.
5) Can the guys assigned with kicking the football do it?

Wexahu

Go ahead and remove M Wilson and Blackshear from the depth chart and see how you feel.

My top 5 questions:
1) QB. So much this.
4) WR - looks thin.

WR is just not a position I worry about. If everyone else on the offense is doing their job adequately, finding guys that can run routes, get reasonably open, and catch passes in this system should not be hard. I'm confident we have some kids that can show something if given a chance and if the QB can get them the ball.

Purp

My top 5 questions:
1) QB. So much this.
4) WR - looks thin.
1) No doubt the biggest question, but there is loads of talent vying for the spot.
2) I really don't worry about DE. It sounds like the athletes we currently have at the position are the best group we've ever had. Unproven in purple, sure. But I'm not worried about finding a few contributors there. Injuries are a threat at every position so I'm not going to worry about it at this one more than others.
3) I'm even less worried about LB than DE. We have an enormous amount of speed and athleticism there. I'm not worried about CGP finding 3 healthy bodies there who make plays for the whole season.
4) WR looks inexperienced, but I wouldn't say thin. We've got an awful lot of potential there and maybe more talent than we've ever had. I think a positive outcome with #1 makes this drop out of the top 5.
5) May be a bigger question mark than #1 given the quantity of competitors at QB versus the number at kicker.

y2kFrog

Defensive will have a lot of athleticism but Plant, Blackshear, and Workman all making the 2 deep is about as red alert as it gets...I don’t recall us being this questionable at DE in a decade..Bowen didn’t even make the 2 deep? Message or is his injury worse then thought

I’ve long ago stopped worrying at DE. It seems whoever plays there becomes all conference quickly:

Froggish

Easy to focus in the potential deficiencies so I’ll focus on a few things I like

1. Secondary Group - healthy Gaines + Moehrig + Scott (throw Ar’Darius & Van Zandt)= most gifted safety group since 14..Scott had a break out last 2-3 games and hasn’t been a contributor for a while. Everyone knows how gifted he is...Mohrwig has star written all over him. I’m excited to see what they can do given we have Gladney, Lewis, & Daniel on the edges..Star Power + Excellent depth should make for a very salty back end for the Frogs

2. DL - Trenches with a healthy Blacklock back are big, physical and deep..Push up the middle will help compensate for green edge rushers at DE..Blacklock and Bethley back together...Damn!

3. OL - As questionable as they were last year they were much improved in the back half. At least on paper, that they will be a strength this years offense. I expect Niang to be drafted. Cordell and McKinney could play their way into late round picks or camp invites for sure...I love trying Meyers at RG..I think it could work next Niang. Finally there is a lot to like about the recent recruiting in the OL

4. RB - Has the horses but who wants to take over and be dominant? Money year for our DA and Sewo..

5. Sandy....We were one of the worst punting teams in all of CFB last year..His big leg should help our defense tremendously

TX_Krötenechse

Also with regards to kicking - this depth chart doesn’t have the new kid who will go through fall camp but didn’t go through spring. I will be surprised if Bunce has kicking duties this fall and hope Song doesn’t.

Froggish

WR is just not a position I worry about. If everyone else on the offense is doing their job adequately, finding guys that can run routes, get reasonably open, and catch passes in this system should not be hard. I'm confident we have some kids that can show something if given a chance and if the QB can get them the ball.

Also important to remember we aren’t running 4 and 5 wide near as often...We look to be utilizing a Fullback and Tight End more and more in 3WR sets..This has an impact on the sheer number of WRs needed.

jake102

We started seeing more of the young guys late last season. I'm still wondering why we ran with some of the upperclassmen at WR that seemed to offer little/nothing. I guess we'll find out.

There's one in particular that frustrated me to no end. Always heard lots of positive things that were unrelated to catching footballs during real games.

Eight

1) No doubt the biggest question, but there is loads of talent vying for the spot.
2) I really don't worry about DE. It sounds like the athletes we currently have at the position are the best group we've ever had. Unproven in purple, sure. But I'm not worried about finding a few contributors there. Injuries are a threat at every position so I'm not going to worry about it at this one more than others.
3) I'm even less worried about LB than DE. We have an enormous amount of speed and athleticism there. I'm not worried about CGP finding 3 healthy bodies there who make plays for the whole season.
4) WR looks inexperienced, but I wouldn't say thin. We've got an awful lot of potential there and maybe more talent than we've ever had. I think a positive outcome with #1 makes this drop out of the top 5.
5) May be a bigger question mark than #1 given the quantity of competitors at QB versus the number at kicker.

linebacker hasn't always been a given and speed and athleticism don't matter if you don't know where your are headed or say recognize crossing receivers and backs out of the backfield.

frogs struggled at times last year with linebacker play and lost three seniors.

i will not be surprised if at least one of the true freshman pushes their way into the two deep....then again it took until the end of the year for ben wilson to get some snaps

LeagueCityFrog

Regardless of depth chart, I'm hoping Gary runs his signature defense with Art Briles' offense. Keep Coach Cumbie up in the skybox and have Coach Loop, Coach Thomsen, and Coach Kelly on the field keeping all those offensive players cool and locked in. In the last decade, there has not been anything more deadly than Coach P's Peach Bowl defense and Art Briles' offense at its peak.

For those of you not familiar with Art Briles' offense, he had only something like 6 plays. But they ran those six plays to perfection and they ran variations to those just six plays and it worked.

The gist of Briles' offense was that only two skill players had dedicated routes per play that the quarterback progressed through. Art kept everyone cool and collected on offense. The remaining offensive skill players were asked to find the open space as a bailout for the quarterback. If all things fail, the quarterback runs and that is how Baylor killed OU and UT and stayed ahead of the chains.

Gary's defense plus this style offense would end OU, Clemson, and Bama and that's what we are about to do with this TCU roster.

Go Frogs!