• The KillerFrogs

TCU favored by 2.5 against UT

TCUWIN

In all our self wallowing last night, some of us may not have noticed that the Texas defense looked incredibly atrocious against a Kansas offense that didn't break the 100 yard barrier against us until about 50 minutes into the game.

Still, though, I'm shocked at this line.
Not comparable. Kansas made a change at OC since our game. May be we will change OC this week.

mesohornedfrog

What's the minimum amount of points we need to score to give you hope for some improvement this year?

For me, anything less than 30 and someone needs to be fired after the alma mater. This should be the perfect game for Max to get some confidence and start building for an end of season push

ticketfrog123

What's the minimum amount of points we need to score to give you hope for some improvement this year?

For me, anything less than 30 and someone needs to be fired after the alma mater. This should be the perfect game for Max to get some confidence and start building for an end of season push

40. This is the perfect game to break in Collins given how banged up the Texas D is.

A bowl game would be painful with this team if we managed 6 wins. Duggan can be the guy in a few years once he develops a deep ball.

CountryFrog

Not comparable. Kansas made a change at OC since our game. May be we will change OC this week.
Not comparable? So you think Kansas is just a good offense now after one coaching change? Changing an OC midseason does not typically result in immediately scoring 30 or 40 more points than you normally would have otherwise.

CountryFrog

The underlying stats are meaningless when looking back but not meaningless when looking forward.
I get where you're coming from, but we've kind of been in this "hey we're really not that bad of a team when you look at this that and the other stat" territory for a year and a half now, and we're sitting here with a 10-9 record over that time with losses to some very mediocre teams and a couple flat out bad teams. So at some point the fact that you're losing as much as you're winning over an extended period of time trumps these other "non game score" stats.

I'm certainly not saying we won't win Saturday. We absolutely can win, and I'm not like some people who think we won't win a single game the rest of the way. I just am not made more comfortable or confident in any way by these other stats that you refer to.

I get where you're coming from, but we've kind of been in this "hey we're really not that bad of a team when you look at this that and the other stat" territory for a year and a half now, and we're sitting here with a 10-9 record over that time with losses to some very mediocre teams and a couple flat out bad teams. So at some point the fact that you're losing as much as you're winning over an extended period of time trumps these other "non game score" stats.

I'm certainly not saying we won't win Saturday. We absolutely can win, and I'm not like some people who think we won't win a single game the rest of the way. I just am not made more comfortable or confident in any way by these other stats that you refer to.

Oh I’m terribly disappointed and thought we had a chance to have a double digit win total this year. I’m just explaining why the line is as close at is. We are the kind of team that the “sharps” like. Underperforming with underlying stats you can mine to show we could be better than the conventional wisdom out there.

CountryFrog

Oh I’m terribly disappointed and thought we had a chance to have a double digit win total this year. I’m just explaining why the line is as close at is. We are the kind of team that the “sharps” like. Underperforming with underlying stats you can mine to show we could be better than the conventional wisdom out there.
Totally get where you're coming from, and again I'm not a gambler and other than the lines on TCU games each week I have no idea what goes on with spreads in other games. It does seem like, though, the lines for our games have been way off the mark the last couple years much more often than they've been close. Vegas and the sharps don't seem to have a very good read on this team, which isn't surprising since a lot of us who follow the team are perplexed at some of the things we've witnessed the last 2 seasons.

Billy Clyde

Not comparable? So you think Kansas is just a good offense now after one coaching change? Changing an OC midseason does not typically result in immediately scoring 30 or 40 more points than you normally would have otherwise.

This is not a "typical," coaching change. Not firing an OC and handing the reins to an assistant who runs the same thing, hoping for different results. This is a new OC with a history of innovation and putting up huge numbers. So yes, I'd say Kansas is, in all likelihood, remarkably better on offense than when we played them.

I think UTerus kicks our ass on Saturday. We seem to be the type of team this year that other teams looking to have that "breakout" performance hope to see coming up on the schedule. I expect their defense will miraculously "find" itself against us.

Mean Purple

When you consider that this game does not start at 11, but 2:30, this is really nuts.
For some reason, that 2:30 kickoff as not been smooth sailing for us the past few years.

CountryFrog

This is not a "typical," coaching change. Not firing an OC and handing the reins to an assistant who runs the same thing, hoping for different results. This is a new OC with a history of innovation and putting up huge numbers. So yes, I'd say Kansas is, in all likelihood, remarkably better on offense than when we played them.

I think UTerus kicks our ass on Saturday. We seem to be the type of team this year that other teams looking to have that "breakout" performance hope to see coming up on the schedule. I expect their defense will miraculously "find" itself against us.
Second paragraph may well be true, but there's not really anything in the history of midseason coaching changes that supports the idea that you can change coordinators and instantly be 30 or 40 points better. That's just not reality. And if this guy was so good and innovative then why didn't he have a job as a coordinator somewhere else already? I'm not saying that means he's a bad coach but you talk as if they just brought in Lincoln Riley to run their offense.

Again, infinitely more likely that Texas just doesn't have a very good defense to begin with and in addition to that played a little worse than usual coming off the OU game than that Kansas will suddenly be scoring 40+ on everyone going forward.

Mean Purple

UT’s defense is hot garbage. They gave up 31 to WV and 48 to KU. We’re about to find out how bad our OC is Saturday.
K State's d is not that great either. We know what the OC is already. We have already found out that his game plan is garbage. In fact, we found that out last year.
Not sure why folks think it will just change all the sudden. Maybe if we put in Collins and he is comfortable enough, maybe we get by. But, because we burned most of last year with a bust, then Collins got injured, there is not the game experience you would like to see.

Mean Purple

The different offense than what folks got to look at on film in prep for the past few months can't be overlooked. Makes it harder to defend. After folks see it, they can game better for it. That said, our offense aint getting it done.

Billy Clyde

Second paragraph may well be true, but there's not really anything in the history of midseason coaching changes that supports the idea that you can change coordinators and instantly be 30 or 40 points better. That's just not reality. And if this guy was so good and innovative then why didn't he have a job as a coordinator somewhere else already? I'm not saying that means he's a bad coach but you talk as if they just brought in Lincoln Riley to run their offense.

Again, infinitely more likely that Texas just doesn't have a very good defense to begin with and in addition to that played a little worse than usual coming off the OU game than that Kansas will suddenly be scoring 40+ on everyone going forward.

I don't know much at all about the guy. . . Just like you, me, and everyone else here didn't know much about Lincoln before he arrived at OU, and even after he got there. I do seem to be sensing a similar buzz about his talent.
I'll also point out how, "not worried at all," everyone here was about Kyler Murray. . . Until he ripped us a new one.
Not saying this guy is Lincoln 2.0, but for you to assume he's not, just "because," seems a stretch in the face of some pretty strong evidence to the contrary: Kansas scored more points against UT than did LSU. Now, how many times since this season began have we seen someone on here post, "We should throw a bunch of money at that LSU OC," based on a very small sample?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
i am enjoying all the optimism about how tcu can muster some offense against a gutted texas defense, but there still is one small problem.

what makes some of you believe that the tcu defense can stop the texas offense?
Don't confuse them. They can only focus on one shiny object at a time....