• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

TCUdirtbag

What's going to happen to Landreth? If anything?

I think they’re repurposing some spaces that the Music Center will take over (band and orchestra halls) but mostly staying the same. Fine arts has been incredibly cramped for years—and honestly even the 2 new buildings still leave them tight.

Brog

I think they’re repurposing some spaces that the Music Center will take over (band and orchestra halls) but mostly staying the same. Fine arts has been incredibly cramped for years—and honestly even the 2 new buildings still leave them tight.

That's hard to believe.

Brog

TCUdirtbag said:

Brog: That's hard to believe.

[QUOTE="froginaustin, post: 2858406, member: 785" Do you have other information?

No, I don't, and may be wrong here, but do know that TCU has seven "Colleges" and three "Schools", and don't know of any of the other six "Colleges" that have three very large and expensive buildings for their use, plus a couple of small ones. So wonder why the school of fine Arts is still "left tight," as the post said which produced my comment.

froginaustin

Fine arts needs performance or display space, and rehearsal space and studios for visual arts. Those needs can call for a lot of bricks and mortar, just as I suppose lab space for hard sciences and engineering can. Classroom-based programs need classrooms, faculty offices and, traditionally, a brick-and-mortar library that may or may not be rendered increasingly obsolescent by the interwebz.

Insufficient practice space was a problem for performing arts ~50 years ago when I experienced it. No music school has enough performance space as far as I know, so I won't belabor that. Ballet got the old gym a few decades back. Visual arts got a new building years after I moved on. I hope it's music's turn to have something approaching the ideal for a first class school for performers.

I hope that the old Landreth auditorium with its world-class acoustics is still there and sticks around. It was a rare treasure (because of the acoustics); hopefully it still is.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Fine arts needs performance or display space, and rehearsal space and studios for visual arts. Those needs can call for a lot of bricks and mortar, just as I suppose lab space for hard sciences and engineering can. Classroom-based programs need classrooms, faculty offices and, traditionally, a brick-and-mortar library that may or may not be rendered increasingly obsolescent by the interwebz.

Insufficient practice space was a problem for performing arts ~50 years ago when I experienced it. No music school has enough performance space as far as I know, so I won't belabor that. Ballet got the old gym a few decades back. Visual arts got a new building years after I moved on. I hope it's music's turn to have something approaching the ideal for a first class school for performers.

I hope that the old Landreth auditorium with its world-class acoustics is still there and sticks around. It was a rare treasure (because of the acoustics); hopefully it still is.
And the pipe organ.

TCUdirtbag

That's hard to believe.

Okay.

The new Music Center is basically a single additional performance hall. The new fine arts building pulled a couple programs from old run down commercial buildings on berry that are now repurposed auxiliary services and sure to get leveled before long. They tore down the music annex by the McDonald’s.

So the real net add for day to day space is a little bit in Moudy North, a little bit in the basement level of the dance building and a little room in Ed Landreth/Walsh where the band and orchestra halls were—but remember they tore down that annex on the south side of campus that will move into that space in Landreth/Walsh. And TCU’s enrollment has grown from like 7k to 10k in the last 10-11 years

TCUdirtbag

If you haven’t been on campus in a while, this video has some great shots of campus. Includes the new founders’ statue area, neeley school plaza area, some of the new worth hills, and some great aerial shots at the end of the new music center and fine arts building as well as the commons and east side of AGCS.

It’s easy to forget how beautiful the campus is. The trees along university are just incredible. I remember when the commons opened it felt very manufactured. Trees are coming in down there around the union and it’s all starting to coalesce into the rest of campus.

I never got to see the new facilities master plan that came out a few years back, so I don’t know what the plan is. But I really hope they do eventually nix that big Kelly alumni center surface lot and turn it into green space like they did the old DMC front lot. They also need to re-facade the basketball practice facility with its metal building/ half-assed banner coverings. Would really finish off the new east side of the athletics complex and finish tying the complex into main campus. Feel like they could nix the lot in front of Baugh for a building and green space at some point, too, to better tie in worth hills. But that’s a lot of parking spaces lost.

Last edited:

HFrog12

If you haven’t been on campus in a while, this video has some great shots of campus. Includes the new founders’ statue area, neeley school plaza area, some of the new worth hills, and some great aerial shots at the end of the new music center and fine arts building as well as the commons and east side of AGCS.

It’s easy to forget how beautiful the campus is. The trees along university are just incredible. I remember when the commons opened it felt very manufactured. Trees are coming in down there around the union and it’s all starting to coalesce into the rest of campus.

I never got to see the new facilities master plan that came out a few years back, so I don’t know what the plan is. But I really hope they do eventually nix that big Kelly alumni center surface lot and turn it into green space like they did the old DMC front lot. They also need to re-facade the basketball practice facility with its metal building/ half-assed banner coverings. Would really finish off the new east side of the athletics complex and finish tying the complex into main campus. Feel like they could nix the lot in front of Baugh for a building and green space at some point, too, to better tie in worth hills. But that’s a lot of parking spaces lost.

No don’t take my parking! I do agree that it would look a lot better green. But they would have to come up with a good solution for premium football parking.

MAcFroggy

The trees along university are just incredible. I remember when the commons opened it felt very manufactured. Trees are coming in down there around the union and it’s all starting to coalesce into the rest of campus.

This is such a good way to phrase it. I was just finishing school when the campus commons were finishing up, and it always thought it seemed too pristine and a little out of place. Manufactured is probably the word I have been searching for. It has always been really nice, but I am glad to see that it is starting to feel more continuity with the rest of campus.