• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

TCUdirtbag

TCU fanbase would pay for that high end experience.

If donors were ready to do so, it would be under construction. They’re apparently not.

Construction is about to slow down (not saying it will stop). Attention turning to the public launch of the $1 Billion “Lead On: A Campaign for TCU” that will focus the public phase on academics/scholarships through endowed funds.

That said, the BLUU expansion and renovation of Sadler for the Honors College will tee up here soon. Expect some more housing as enrollment grows too. But there are few projects the size of what we’ve grown used to on the horizon. Baseball is probably the next major project for athletics IF (as always) they can raise the funds. Point being the focus is shifting from infrastructure to endowment.

HFrog12

Not sure where else to put this, but was curious how everything has panned out in the upper east side seats under the club overhang. I thought I read a Donati tweet that said they installed fans and TVs under the overhand. If so, are the TVs because the overhang blocks the view of the jumbotron? Lastly, is the overhang expected to create shade for afternoon games? Thinking about traveling for the SMU game. It was announced as a 2:30 kickoff and I would love to bring my 3 year old son to his first game. Curious if we will have ample amounts of shade being 3 rows from the top of the east side? Sorry for the big information request. The Pine Bluff game was at night so I know most people wont have first-hand experience but maybe some of the stadium experts in Fort Worth have some info.

tcumaniac

Not sure where else to put this, but was curious how everything has panned out in the upper east side seats under the club overhang. I thought I read a Donati tweet that said they installed fans and TVs under the overhand. If so, are the TVs because the overhang blocks the view of the jumbotron? Lastly, is the overhang expected to create shade for afternoon games? Thinking about traveling for the SMU game. It was announced as a 2:30 kickoff and I would love to bring my 3 year old son to his first game. Curious if we will have ample amounts of shade being 3 rows from the top of the east side? Sorry for the big information request. The Pine Bluff game was at night so I know most people wont have first-hand experience but maybe some of the stadium experts in Fort Worth have some info.
I went up there towards the end of the game just to check it out for myself.

At the very top row, you are completely restricted from seeing the video board:
69839177_10214522264679739_6016864842252550144_n.jpg

This is from the second highest row. Still fairly restricted view of video board:
70331863_10214522264759741_398296506613891072_n.jpg

3rd row from the top you can see almost all of the board, and then obviously anything below that you can see it as well:
69786352_10214522265239753_8632408644576608256_n.jpg

From a shade perspective, I'm not sure how much protection you'll get during a morning / early afternoon game, but I imagine it's pretty good since the sun will obviously be starting from the east. Late afternoon and early evening with the sun setting to the west probably offers minimum shade. Top three rows are definitely fully covered though. I can't remember if 4th row from the top is fully covered or not.

HFrog12

I went up there towards the end of the game just to check it out for myself.

At the very top row, you are completely restricted from seeing the video board:
69839177_10214522264679739_6016864842252550144_n.jpg

This is from the second highest row. Still fairly restricted view of video board:
70331863_10214522264759741_398296506613891072_n.jpg

3rd row from the top you can see almost all of the board, and then obviously anything below that you can see it as well:
69786352_10214522265239753_8632408644576608256_n.jpg

From a shade perspective, I'm not sure how much protection you'll get during a morning / early afternoon game, but I imagine it's pretty good since the sun will obviously be starting from the east. Late afternoon and early evening with the sun setting to the west probably offers minimum shade. Top three rows are definitely fully covered though. I can't remember if 4th row from the top is fully covered or not.

Much appreciated Maniac! The photos were more than I expected. I didn't see any fans (air) from those pictures, but thought Donati tweeted it. Thanks again.

stbrab

My seats are 4 rows from the top. We were able to see all of the jumbo tron. The fans and TVs are installed, however, the fans weren't working yet. The TVs were working, however, they are set back toward the back and I never really looked at them after the game started. My guess for a 2:30 start, is you'll have shade for part of, maybe all of the first half.

stbrab

Took this photo at 6:46 pm before the first game. As you can see, for a 2ish p.m. game, by the end of the game, there isn't going to be much shade for the upper deck.

npy0SVj.jpg
Yes. We were in the sun for a while. The top two rows, because of the angle of the overhang, are probably the only ones that stay in the shade all day.

HToady

TCU just spent thousands expanding sidewalks and doubling the depth of flower beds, to prevent students from jaywalking across University. On the first week of school, TCU had to put out an email to ask the students to not walk against the lights at the crosswalk, en masse and blocking traffic! You just can't win......where is the Rea Schollmayer pedestrian tunnel when you need it!

LeagueCityFrog

It has been since September since this sucker was updated...

Any new pictures of the new chancellor's building for us out of town Frogs? I assume it is topped out by now.

New hotel coming along?

Anything else new for 2020 and beyond for the on campus construction front.

TCUdirtbag watcha got?

I took a few inside the East Side early this week (apologies I did not get more, these were taken for a certain purpose).

IMG-7487.jpg

Loge Box view

IMG-0740.jpg

Suite Level buffet / bar

IMG-3801.jpg

In between the Suites are the lyrics

IMG-3889.jpg

Loge Box view to the South

IMG-5687.jpg

Suite Level looking down to Club Level (seems to be three bars, two buffets)

In summary, lots of work to be done but will be top-notch. Engineering was convenient. The addition does not take away from the aesthetics of the exterior of what was once the entrance of the "old" East Side. It has a seemliness integration.

Suites are very well done. Wood floors everywhere throughout both the Club and Suites (no carpet!). View from the terrace outside towards downtown is spectacular. Six personal elevators, one utility (four at the main entrance, two towards the North). Well planned on the Club Level. Club Level seats are a black "mesh" (i.e. no cushion - feels like a nice lawn chair). Much more comfortable than the West Site Club seats. Very breathable.

Suite Level is well-planned too (have to access via elevator, no stairs as the West Side has). Seats are inside and the windows open vertically (mechanically through a switch). Privacy glass from the door of the Suite to the Suite Level.

Loge Boxes were a hell of a deal. Inside the Club Level there is a glass partition you pass through (with a glass door) and someone will be checking tickets there. No "ordinary" Clubbies allowed. Separate bar and buffet. Feels like a mini-suite with private bathrooms, a nice oasis. Personal TVs per Loge. Had we known about those before we committed to a suite, we would have purchased them instead. Was under-priced (especially when compared to a Suite).

Was told that, thanks to the overhang, the sun will affect the Suites for about 6 minutes (max) and the Club Seats for about 21 minutes (max). Seems about right.

All in all, great product. There are a few Club Seats left...call up the Ticket Office and grab them (first come, first serve - not based on Priority Points).

Last edited:

Purp

How is it compliant with fire code to have no stairs for the suite level? Assuming there has to be an emergency stairwell or two.

HToady

This semester TCU has installed a space counter at the entrance to the big parking lot NE of the Neeley School. This is a brilliant addition. Students, in the past don't give themselves a lot of time to look for parking spots so they default into the neighborhoods. With the counter it appears that they are at least driving by, because neighborhood traffic appears to be down. Good job TCU!.

It also appears they are nearing removing the temporary buildings off Merida and have said they will expand parking, The addition of these space counters on other lots as well will be a great idea.