• The KillerFrogs

TCU Cancels Graduation

Big Frog II

The faculty acts like the University is not making any safeguards what so ever. Everyone wear a mask, wash your hands, and proceed. Most of them have been taking a bigger risk by going to Walmart or Target. If TCU does have to go online, yes professors get ready to take a big pay decrease.

jake102

I’m fairly confident Texas public universities will proceed with their modified face to face plans. TCU has been awfully quick in their Covid-related decision makings so far. But if the publics proceed they have cover to do so (but alas, no sovereign immunity).

IMO the higher ed narrative is likely to change in a couple weeks as deaths/serious illness stay low despite high positives in case counts. K12 announcements will also buoy higher education.

Harvard and Princeton and USC can go online and invite only 40% of their students to campus and maintain their payroll and demand. TCU can’t.

I also think you’ll find that the imminent TCU faculty drama is more bark than bite - a loud minority that are digging their own graves.

If you want to talk about why sports may be off, look once again to testing. When the US failed to ramp up testing and production of testing capacity/materials, we created a real supply problem. As testing capacity constricts, it’s going to be hard to have sports if you can’t test and you can’t test athletes if you can get supplies without terrible “killing grandma” PR.

Interesting perspective when a few well connected people are hinting at bigger things

AroundWorldFrog

Can't find the tweet now and I suspect it was deleted, but there was a tweet this morning from TCU blaming selfish people for the COVID resurgence and cancellation and how young adults are the ones suffering for it. I wanted to tell them it was the scheissing young adults that caused this COVID resurgence for the most part.

Last edited:

tetonfrog

You're right, but do you think the faculty will willingly accept pay cuts for sitting home and "teaching" all their classes from their computer? Don't think so.

I cannot speak for TCU, but a family member is a non-tenured professor at the University of Denver. They are preparing for a steep drop off in attendance for the fall and beyond. While the upperclassmen would want to return and finish, why would any incoming freshman start classes in the fall?

They use the quarter system and went to all online classes for the first two of this year. The school wants to open for the fall, but may not have a choice. They already announced that every staff member is taking a 20% pay cut and he did not get any summer school classes for the first time. And he may lose his job for good in the fall.

I don't know anyone on the TCU faculty, but I find it hard to believe that they would rather be unemployed than take a pay cut and teach online.I can't believe they would be that arrogant. If they are, then I wonder how they hired in the first place.

TCUdirtbag

Interesting perspective when a few well connected people are hinting at bigger things

Definitely a difference in what athletics departments and central university administration are thinking/doing right now. It is shocking how siloed athletics departments are—in many instances they’re more connected to peer departments than they are their own central admin. And this makes sense since Universities can open without athletics competitions, but there can’t be games if universities are closed.

You’ll notice I post more re: university core function while YA and our tcu athletics donor class post more specifically re: TCU athletics. There’s some overlap of course, bur what I was speaking to had more to do with traditional university operations (simply one condition precedent to fall sports).

Last edited:

HToady

These graduated students are long gone...out looking for jobs. Already moved on. They have already put on their cap and gown and had their photos taken by the fountain.

Since TCU admits a large number of out of state students i would guess they would be lucky to get 30%. That being the case, TCU must have at least 10 auditoriums, colesiums, lecture halls, etc. to accommodate spacial distancing with graduation via videoboard. Plus those at home can dial in and watch.

Simply no imagination.

LVH

If they cancel football, then they are utter fools.

This virus panic has about run it's course. The "new cases!!!!" scare is a load of crap, and the death rate keeps falling. People who do get sick are ill for a few days at most, and quickly recover (Yes, 3 people I personally know). The majority of actual cases are still asymptomatic. Death rate among younger persons (below 65) is pitifully low. All of the trend lines are heading downward.

There is no reason to cancel the season. None.

In order to support the most important political objectives of the DNC writ large in the 2020 election, COVID-19 hype is essential:

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot easily achieve ‘mail-in’ voting; which they desperately need in key battleground states in order to control the outcome.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot shut down rallies and political campaigning efforts of President Trump; which they desperate need to do in key battleground states.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot block the campaign contrast between an energetic President Trump and a physically tenuous, mentally compromised, challenger.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats do not have an excuse for cancelling the DNC convention in Milwaukee; thereby blocking Team Bernie Sanders from visible opposition while protecting candidate gibberish from himself.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats do not have a mechanism to keep voters isolated from each-other; limiting communication and national debate adverse to their interests. COVID-19 panic pushes the national conversation into the digital space where Big Tech controls every element of the conversation.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot keep their Blue state economies easily shut-down and continue to block U.S. economic growth. All thriving economies are against the political interests of Democrats.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot easily keep club candidate Joe Biden sealed in the basement; where the electorate is not exposed to visible signs of his dementia.

♦Without COVID-19 panic it becomes more difficult for Big Tech to censor voices that would outline the fraud and scheme. With COVID-19 panic they have a better method and an excuse.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot advance, influence, or organize their preferred presidential debate format, a ‘virtual presidential debate’ series.

All of these, and more, strategic outcomes are based on the manufactured weaponization of the COVID-19 virus to achieve a larger political objective. There is ZERO benefit to anyone other than Democrats for the overwhelming hype surrounding COVID-19.

It is not coincidental that all corporate media are all-in to facilitate the demanded fear that Democrats need in order to achieve their objectives. Thus there is an alignment of all big government institutions and multinationals to support the same.

Nothing is coincidental. Everything is political.

LVH

Can't find the tweet now and I suspect it was deleted, but there was a tweet this morning from TCU blaming selfish people for the COVID resurgence and cancellation and how young adults are the ones suffering for it. I wanted to tell them it was the scheissing young adults that caused this COVID resurgence for the most part.

There is no resurgence. We are simply testing more. I posted a graph yesterday showing what the number of cases would have been in March/April had we been testing at the same rate we are testing now. Would have been magnitudes higher.

All that matters is deaths, and deaths are dropping. Below epidemic levels. Take out the deaths from nursing homes in states where the governors forced positive patients into nursing homes, its flu level death rates. The reason we are still being fear mongered over this virus is politics. It's an election year.

Mean Purple

I just received an email from Chancellor Boschini stating that TCU was canceling graduation ceremonies that were scduled in August due to worsening pandemic.

a218635c2263e90ce9f00f26_1280x232.png

July 6, 2020
Dear Horned Frog Graduates & Families,
We are extraordinarily proud of you, your resilience, positivity and dedication over these past few world-changing months. Today, I write to share news about Commencement plans. I am extremely saddened to say that based on the resurgence of the virus across the country and following consultation with our local health authorities, we are unable to host the Senior Toast and the Commencement ceremonies planned for August 7and August 8, 2020. We are crushed, but must make the responsible decision for our campus community. This video message summarizes my thoughts. More information may also be found online at commencement.tcu.edu.

Graduates, you have achieved so much, and managed adversity with grace.
Parents and families, you have supported and cheered your Horned Frogs on to their status as proud Texas Christian University graduates. We thank you.

Your faculty and staff still plan to celebrate you appropriately when it is safe to do so. Until that time, we are proud to welcome you to a larger community of successful and ethical leaders we call alumni.

Sincerely,
Victor J. Boschini, Jr.
Chancellor
pfkg43d

My response is below:

Chancellor Boschini,

I’m sure this will be just one of many responses that you’ll receive from disappointed graduates and their parents. I have to voice my frustration with you for canceling the graduation ceremonies for the 2020 class. My wife and I have been waiting 22 years for this day only to have it once again snatched out from under us. We understand the complications that the current pandemic represents but we do not understand how our local Fort Worth high schools with far fewer resources can pull off similar graduation events and yet TCU is unable to do the same with far better facilities. It’s like being handed a sparkler as a stand-in for a grand fireworks show.

Why cannot TCU hold the event at ACS over the course of several evenings if necessary and follow the pandemic protocols of social distancing. There’s more than enough room in the stadium for 2,000 graduates and their families to spread out and keep things safe. Limit the number of family members and assign sections by cohorts divided by empty rows to enforce distancing. We can all handle the August evening heat to pull this off. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for these kids and the thrill of crossing the finish line for both them and their families is being snatched away when there is a safe venue located on campus that could provide an extraordinary backdrop to the conclusion of their academic careers. If you don’t hold the event now, then when? Do you think TCU will be more prepared in the winter? That will prove even more problematic as the cold weather will force the event inside. Which is worse, an indoor event which we know is not advised or an outdoor event where everyone could spread out and stay safe? If it’s not safe now, when will it be? It will already be hard enough to get everyone back for graduation in August. If you go past that you’ll have even fewer participants as it will be anti-climatic at any later date as new jobs and careers will have already begun.

I am requesting that you reconsider your decision to cancel graduation. Please don’t ruin this important moment for this class and their families and those to come after. TCU has the facilities and the abilities to pull this off.

Sincerely,

A. I hate this for you. Graduates and their families earned the ceremony and celebration.
B. Will those that can't walk in May/Aug be allowed to walk in the next one they do have?
That would only be right.
C. All those who did not get to walk should make the trip back and walk in the next one. Even if the school has to hold multiple ceremonies to do it.

I worked my way through school, with some help from my folks. Was not easy. So graduation was a welcomed event that we enjoyed.
For what that's worth.

TCUdirtbag

This LVH crap so incredibly foil hat and wrong.
In order to support the most important political objectives of the DNC writ large in the 2020 election, COVID-19 hype is essential:

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot easily achieve ‘mail-in’ voting; which they desperately need in key battleground states in order to control the outcome.
Let’s dig in here. As is, democrats won the biggest midterm popular vote margin in US history in 2018. When republicans refused mail in voting in Wisconsin just weeks ago, democrats easily won what should’ve been an incredibly tight state Supreme Court race. The premise that dems need absentee voting to win is quite clearly false based on recent results. Further, there is zero sound evidence that mail in voting favors any political party. And finally, lol at this [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] voter suppression—if you’re 65 and live in Texas you can vote by mail for any reason. The “fraud” lie is nothing but suppression.
♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot shut down rallies and political campaigning efforts of President Trump; which they desperate need to do in key battleground states.
Biden is up by 10. And Trump rallies are shutting down themselves (see pitiful turnout in Tulsa).
♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot block the campaign contrast between an energetic President Trump and a physically tenuous, mentally compromised, challenger.
Donald trump can’t walk down a ramp or speak without a TPT. Even if we take the (IMO false) premise Biden is “compromised”, it’s no worse than the fat, weak, dumbass currently occupying the oval.
♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats do not have an excuse for cancelling the DNC convention in Milwaukee; thereby blocking Team Bernie Sanders from visible opposition while protecting candidate gibberish from himself.
Conventions are scripted and pretending you wouldn’t claim that fact as a defense after a smooth production and reading from TPTs for a few days is laughable.
♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats do not have a mechanism to keep voters isolated from each-other; limiting communication and national debate adverse to their interests. COVID-19 panic pushes the national conversation into the digital space where Big Tech controls every element of .
What works do you live in? People are communicating just fine—trump ran a primarily digital campaign in 2016 and won! Twitter put an exclamation mark by like 3 of his tens of thousands of tweets. Facebook lets him make [ Finebaum ] up all the time. People don’t talk politics face to face in a way that would somehow favor trump more than Biden.

This was all just a bunch of [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] spun to lay the groundwork because you think trump is going to lose. Yawn.

FinanceFrog

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats do not have a mechanism to keep voters isolated from each-other; limiting communication and national debate adverse to their interests. COVID-19 panic pushes the national conversation into the digital space where Big Tech controls every element of the conversation.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot keep their Blue state economies easily shut-down and continue to block U.S. economic growth. All thriving economies are against the political interests of Democrats.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot easily keep club candidate Joe Biden sealed in the basement; where the electorate is not exposed to visible signs of his dementia.

♦Without COVID-19 panic it becomes more difficult for Big Tech to censor voices that would outline the fraud and scheme. With COVID-19 panic they have a better method and an excuse.

♦Without COVID-19 panic Democrats cannot advance, influence, or organize their preferred presidential debate format, a ‘virtual presidential debate’ series.

All of these, and more, strategic outcomes are based on the manufactured weaponization of the COVID-19 virus to achieve a larger political objective. There is ZERO benefit to anyone other than Democrats for the overwhelming hype surrounding COVID-19.

It is not coincidental that all corporate media are all-in to facilitate the demanded fear that Democrats need in order to achieve their objectives. Thus there is an alignment of all big government institutions and multinationals to support the same.

Nothing is coincidental. Everything is political.

how’d you get red diamonds? nice flair.

Horned Toad

Boschini replied to my email, apologized for my family’s disappointment, thanked me for my comments, and said he would take them under consideration. I thanked him for his reply. All very civil. See, this how we should all act toward each other. Whatever it is, we are all in this life together.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Definitely a difference in what athletics departments and central university administration are thinking/doing right now. It is shocking how siloed athletics departments are—in many instances they’re more connected to peer departments than they are their own central admin. And this makes sense since Universities can open without athletics competitions, but there can’t be games if universities are closed.

You’ll notice I post more re: university core function while YA and our tcu athletics donor class post more specifically re: TCU athletics. There’s some overlap of course, bur what I was speaking to had more to do with traditional university operations (simply one condition precedent to fall sports).
I’m sure it tends to have its own budget. And at many schools the head football coach is far and away the best compensated person in the university.